1x xlr out bass amp
1 maybe 2 vocal mic's
4-6 mic's on drums

I'm looking at the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=75257

and
Mackie ProFX12 Live USB Mixer
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=86996

both of these have the USB interface that I need for home studio recording and enough inputs for a drummer (unlike most USB interfaces)

Anyone have any experience with these?

I believe the mackie to be better but the alesis comes with better software (cubase as opposed to tracktion- mackies ownbrand)

It has 6 XLR inputs which is not enough for live but can i use xlr-jack adapters to plug into the 6 jack inputs or do i need a bigger mixer?

any advice would be great
budget around £250 mark
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Most USB mixers are made and programmed to mix everything before sending it over to the computer. The bad part is that limits what you can do when it comes to post-processing in the software.

If you want that quick capture, this is ok, but you won't be able to tweak to get a great studio type sound in the end...

If you want something that will work well in live and recording situations, I suggest looking into the Mackie ONYX-i Series firewire recording mixers. The nice part is you can mix for your live setting but also capture the sound right after the preamp so you can remix for the CD or other outputs later in studio.
Capturing the true sound of the "live mix" will give you way too much bass and vocals as they are usually boosted to compensate in live settings.

The Mackie Onyx 1620i is about 3 times your budget however in the end, it will probably bet the best way to go if you can save up for it.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 6, 2010,
so are you saying that the mixer will take all the inputs and put them on one channel on the computer software? ie not separately editable.
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by NobleT
so are you saying that the mixer will take all the inputs and put them on one channel on the computer software? ie not separately editable.

if you get a cheap one, then yeah.

the alesis multimix 2.0 on the other hand can handle multitarck recording fine.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
will the mackie i suggested be able to route each of it's channels into separate ones on the software too?

Also should i be considering large interfaces instead of the mixer for recording purposes, if so suggestions?
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
It looks like the Mackie you were lookint into only has an FX loop and the main output bus. Unless you have a huge mixer at about $1,000, you're not going to have any usable amounts of outputs to keep things sperate.
Even with a large mixer, you need an interface to pair with it.

Lets say you went with a Mackie 1604-VLZ3 which has 4 bus outs, you would need an interface with at least 4 inputs such as the M-Audio Delta 44 or M-Audio Delta 1010 to run those busses to to record. That will easily hype your prices up more.

The best way is with the Mackie mixers I suggested or even the new PreSonus StudioLive mixers which have a firewire out as well.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 11, 2010,