Assuming I want a semi-hollow body tone--- is there any reason that these things should be avoided? I found a great local deal on one, and these look nicer than the Epi Dots....

Also, I have yet to play one--- how are the necks? Upper fret access?

Thoughts? Opinions?
You should not buy one if you don't like the way it feels. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of. There's a lot of difference between Ibanez and Epiphone, so play one (can you play that one?) To see if you like it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Play one but I think it's a solid buy.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
i used to have one and its a great guitar, but hollow bodies are not my thing so i sold it. quality was better than epiphone though.
I've got an AS73 and it is bloody excellent. Most people who see and play it are quite astonished how good it is.

I think you get a lot of bang for your buck from the 73 and I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. I tried both the dot and the 73 and although both are pretty good I just preferred the 73.

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!