Just restrung from elixir 10-52 to d'addario xl 10-52 nickel wound exl 140's and now the low e and a sound very muted and dead. i have a MIM strat hss. there's a bit of buzz when playing open but no buzz at high frets, though the dullness of the note is still their. I read in an old guitarist mag that it could be the pickups magnets be too high and they are "pulling on the string". This would be weird as i got the guitar setup professionally 1 string set ago.

Any ideas , action too low?
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Thats what it sound like. What is the height of your pickups? Bass side and Treble side?

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
You said MIM so the standard pickup heights would be;
Bass Side - 1/8". Top of pickup and bottom of string (WHILE PRESSING THE STRING AT THE LAST FRET)
Treble side - 3/32". Top of pickup and bottom of string (WHILE PRESSING THE STRING AT THE LAST FRET. If it still sounds dead drop it slightly more.
Passive pickups will be low. The heavier the strings you need to drop them a little more.
Active pickups can be alot higher.
Take your time and do one pickup at a time using the pickup selector switch.
Another thing top consider is you might need to adjust the truss rod. Heavier strings can put a "bow" in the neck. Then set your intonation and it should be fine.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
This sounds kinda odd. If we could get a picture of your bridge, nut, and a shot of how high your strings are off the fretboard/away from the pickups.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the action being too low, I play on D'Addario Nickel-Plated Steel 12-52s and they sound just fine. Could be the strings themselves though, I think the full-nickel ones are supposed to have a more mellow sound to them...
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.