I play from alternative to metal, and would also love a great clean sound.
Would this work with something extra to drive it?

Marshall MA100H 100W Tube Guitar Amp Head

I haven't played it but I've heard things
I hate marshalls(that are digital) but I think this may change my mind possibly?

I play a dean razorback
Schecter s-1 elite
And a epi les Paul studio edition

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
At $1000 your options expand to marshalls that are better than there MA series. I would look used, at a jcm800 or a 2000. Im biased, but I really love my amp, the b-52 At-100. Does everything. Chimey cleans, and can get alot of gain depending upon your guitars.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Yeah, what OctoberWind said. That and I've heard good things about Peavey Valvekings for your use. It would likely need a gain boost to get the metal sound but it's a good, affordable amp with good cleans and enough gain for an alternative sound.
Call me crazy, but fender devilles are bad mf's good for many different styles of music. I used to run a jekyll and hyde out of my old one and it could get pretty nasty. Cost me $700.
i lucked into finding my mesa heartbreaker for 900. it makes great cleans and if you work at it a little, you can get some pretty good sounds out of it. a distortion pedals the way to go if you want a real gainy sound though. cranking up the gain or overdrive pedals just make a crunchy, super bassy sound thats hard to get away from
Quote by OctoberWind
At $1000 your options expand to marshalls that are better than there MA series. I would look used, at a jcm800 or a 2000.

I second this! I've never played an 800, but I own a 2000 and I love it. I've heard good things about the 800's though.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
You can do better than the MA series for $1000, just try looking used. You can get a good Marshall head for under $1000.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I was gunna look used for a jcm800 , but I need all the money before I can look online and such. I also play hardcore music too. I like the sound of a day to remember and august burns red. Abr uses peavey 6505 I think, and that has no cleans. Bummerrr also I need footswitches and such
6505 combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You have obviously just started your amp search. What do you use now? PS: There are no new Marshalls in your price range that can do metal decently

What kind of metal do you play? Be specific please.
Do you gig or jam with others?
Can you describe 'great clean sound' to us? What do you use your cleans for?
What is your closest City? Look used. Do you prefer the halfstack look or will a combo work?
At 1000US you should be able to get a secondhand tremoverb quite comfortably. Should cover all your bases.

EDIT: Rectoverb*, Had a retard moment.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Sep 6, 2010,
6505 112 combo. (I think it was already mentioned). may not get you those chimey cleans. But pop a chorus pedal in there and you should be alright.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I have not just started my amp search. I have been looking around alot. The first time I played a Mesa I loved it, but whenever I play it again it never spuds that good. I'm looking used also. I can't afford new.
I play things like metallica, august burns red,(I know it's not metal), and pop punk like a day to remember. Also some disturbed and slayer.

I prefer half stack. Even though combos are easier. Also gigging and such. I need cleans for clean parts and for some pedals.
If there are anymore questions just let me know an sorry I didn't get back to this asap my Internet was down=|
Closest city is NYC.
Oh and I use a peavey xxl=/
I use the cleans for pedals like the Fillmore metal
Sorry, when you came out of the gate with a Marshall MA I may have made some assumptions about you. Don't get one is all I can say. I played one on a 1960 cab for a fair a bit of time and could dial in nothing but junk.

Look at this stuff instead:

Mesa Boogie DC5 head $650
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/1938384722.html

Marshall JCM800 2205 with matching 212 cab $1150
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1937016048.html

Egnater Renegade 212 combo $950
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/1936461960.html

Carvin V3 $645
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/1936054495.html

Mesa Mark III combo $825
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/1934965853.html

Mesa Mark I $950
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1932102398.html

Mesa Rectoverb combo $750
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/1931272738.html

Marshall TSLs and DSLs.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=600&maxAsk=1200
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 6, 2010,
But see a huge problem is I wanna try it out! So It's hard to find a place with them, that I can tryfor awhile before I make a decision=[
maybe not, but the more amps you play and the more you learn about what to look for the more educated you will become.

most of the amps I just linked I would have no problem buying - as long as it sounded good when I played it.
But when I buy it's like a life changing event lol. Now I'm wondering I I should keep my head, cuz the cleans are average, and just getting a multi effects processor.

I really hate when its late at night and I think too much
Quote by Katsock
But when I buy it's like a life changing event lol. Now I'm wondering I I should keep my head, cuz the cleans are average, and just getting a multi effects processor.

I really hate when its late at night and I think too much

No, no you shouldn't.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
What would you be using the processor for, just effects? And if you are, what processor?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Or example the boss g-10 I believe? My friend has one and I do like it, and tweaking would need to be done of course.
Or the line six pod 3, just examples

And I'd use it for tone and "sounds" an such, instead of getting a new amp
Eh, owning a GT-8 and playing a GT-10 they are pretty meh. If you like it though go for it because I think it had good effects but I think you can get a good amp for the bands you listened. The modeling on it was mediocre in my opinion.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I'm going by what I've been hearing on demos and such. I do like the high gain modeling. And I like the acoustic stuff. Any opinions on others? Or a quick list of amps I could find used for cheap? Like 1000 and under. No link to used stuff just to a site with all the info
Quote by Katsock
Well why?

Well you have the budget for a decent tube amp and that will make a huge improvement over your current amps tone. A multi fx will give you a range of different sounds to work with but it's still going to be modelling laid over the cleans of your current amp. It's all up to you really but either way, in the long run you'll probably end up with a new amp so why not just get that now?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Katsock
I'm going by what I've been hearing on demos and such. I do like the high gain modeling. And I like the acoustic stuff. Any opinions on others? Or a quick list of amps I could find used for cheap? Like 1000 and under. No link to used stuff just to a site with all the info

If you're after high gain modelling I'd say just go for something like a used Vetta or a flex tone.
I over think a lot of stuff, and I wanna make sure u get what's best. I'm indecisive when I over think
I over think a lot of stuff, and I wanna make sure u get what's best. I'm indecisive when I over think
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77449

Get that and you'll be set. Thank me later. Also if you were ever to sell it you could sell it for $900-1000 USD.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 7, 2010,
Why do you keep saying that?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
We've reached the end of his programmed dialogue, he will now say that until the end of time or until we start a new game.