So I turned on my amp for a little morning practice, and I heard one of the sounds that guitarists dread: Crackling. Did a bit of research, a bit of testing, and I'm pretty sure that my preamp tubes are dying.

So it looks like I'll be doing my first retube.

When I bought my VK, it was already modded with JJ tubes. At least, I know the power amp tubes are, I'm not sure about the preamp, I don't know if it's stock or what. Since it's dying, I'm assuming it is. The power amp tubes I know for sure are fine and not the problem.

I know relatively very little about tubes, but something is perplexing me to no end: the VK has 3 12AX7's and 4 6L6GC's, right? Well for some reason, there appears to only be 1 12AX7 in the amp. There are 3 metal tubes, all labeled 12AX7, but I can only see an actual tube in one of them. This strikes me as very... abnormal, to say the least, but I wouldn't really know, given my lack of knowledge of tubes.

Despite that, the amp works fine, and has worked perfectly fine in couple months that I've owned it now. So I don't really know what that can mean.

Apart from that, I'm pretty sure I need to get JJ ECC83S tubes for the preamp. I'll be ordering from Eurotubes. A question I have about that is, do I need a different kind of tube for the phase inverter? I read something about that somewhere. Also, how do I know which one of the tubes is the phase inverter? And for that matter, what is a phase inverter?

So yeah... help?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
See if the amp has a Phase Inverter in the manual. That would just be the last preamp tube before the Power Tubes. Usually a nice low gain tube goes there like a NOS 5751 or 12AT7, but make sure it can handle the latter (some amps aren't designed to). Then go for it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
See an Amp tech if your really puzzled about it
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"