Hey GB&C, I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me out with. I have an Ibanez GAX70 and I just did some work on it. I moved the bridge pickup that the last owner had on it, a Duncan Deisgned HB103B, to the neck, and installed a used Duncan Designed HB108B on the bridge. The design is 2 humbucker, 2 volume knob, 2 tone knob, and 3 way switch.

Anyway, right now both pickups work, but the neck pickup isn't putting out much volume. It's a lot quieter than it was before. It seemed ok right after I put it in, but one of my connections on the bridge pickup broke, and after I repaired it the volume dropped. Any idea what could cause this?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Try raising the pickup closer to the strings.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
If we are to assume the only thing changed was fixing the bridge pickup, then the neck pickup should have stayed the exact same. However, the volume dropped. Raising the pickup would fix the apparent problem, but wouldn't fix whatever the actual issue is.

Are you sure you have the wiring the exact same way it was before you fixed it? Also, is it possible that the bridge pickup is simply overpowering it?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by Oosh.
Try raising the pickup closer to the strings.

First time doing this, my neck pickup was kind of low. I raised it, and that helped, but it's still not entirely solved.

Quote by Black Star
If we are to assume the only thing changed was fixing the bridge pickup, then the neck pickup should have stayed the exact same. However, the volume dropped. Raising the pickup would fix the apparent problem, but wouldn't fix whatever the actual issue is.

Are you sure you have the wiring the exact same way it was before you fixed it? Also, is it possible that the bridge pickup is simply overpowering it?

It isn't wired the same way. The 2 aftermarket pickups have more wires than the stock pickups, so I couldn't wire them the same way. I wired it according to a schematic I found on the Duncan Seymour site, although it's possible that I made a mistake somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. Also I did more than just replace the bridge pup. I moved the one that was on the bridge to the neck, so it went from
Old configuration: Neck - stock, bridge - hb103, to
New configuration: Neck - hb103, bridge - hb108

It is possible that the bridge pickup is just overpowering the other. I tried to find some sort of specs, but the manufacturer's website just describes them as "high output"

Also, in testing it more, I noticed one thing that was kind of strange. When the selector switch is in the center position, turning either volume knob all the way down will silence the guitar. I also realized that the model numbers of both pickups end with B, as opposed to N, so I'm guessing they're both meant to be bridge pickups. Would that pose a problem?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Sep 6, 2010,
the only problem 2 bridge pups would pose is too much output from your neck pickup. but that seems to be the opposite. I'd check out the wiring again, sounds like something's not connected properly... sometimes the colour coding on the wires can be a little shifty between brands.,,
------

Shwiggity.
Is there any simple way I an test for a power issue?

Also, for what it's worth, I talked to my stepdad about this. He doesn't really know guitars, but he does know audio equipment. He's of the opinion that it's a power issue, because if I wired it wrong, it would either make a bad sound or no sound at all.
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Sep 7, 2010,