Well I thought it was time to get a guitar teacher so I mailed one some questions (taken from Tom Hess' guide to find a good guitar teacher)

I asked about his teaching experience, the cost, if he taught in groups or private, what styles he taught best and how he taught... Got the following answers

I teach both private and group, I can't really say that I teach one style better than the other one but my favorites are funk/soul/r&b. Í teach ofc all styles. I have little experience with classical music thought. I base the lessons from the students desire but I also suggest things that are important to the playing. You have to get the basics I must however ask you some questions thought; Have you been playing guitar before? What are your goals and what style is your prefered one?

I've met him once and he said he studied music in Hollywood or something, that may be the reason he avoided the question about his teaching experience. I've been self taught for some time, I've never taken a lesson before nor had a teacher, so that's why I'm asking you pit dwellers what you think about the guy?
He sounds good I guess.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
He just wants raging buttsecks.

Plus I think this is the wrong place for advice about this certain thing.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
We pit dwellers think he is trying to rape you.

So we say go!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Ask him if he's a predatory homosexual.

Ask if you can have a taster lesson or something, or go for 1 and make up your mind.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Well, because he says his favorites are funk/soul/r&b and that he has little experience with classical music, I would say your new guitar teacher is an advocate of the Blues style of guitar. In other words, he would probably teach you techniques that are either pure blues or blues based. I think he's simply talking himself up by saying "I can't really say I teach one style better than the other" and "I teach all styles of playing". For instance, because he has little experience with classical, he won't be as familiar with the Musical modes, flamenco style of guitar, or Baroque style or guitar. I'm just shooting from the hip obviously, but people who say they aren't familiar with classical, they do shut off a whole avenue of learning and teaching guitar.

CrazyEdit: Shit, am I the only one who took this seriously? Shame on y'll. But this is the Pit.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, because he says his favorites are funk/soul/r&b and that he has little experience with classical music, I would say your new guitar teacher is an advocate of the Blues style of guitar. In other words, he would probably teach you techniques that are either pure blues or blues based. I think he's simply talking himself up by saying "I can't really say I teach one style better than the other" and "I teach all styles of playing". For instance, because he has little experience with classical, he won't be as familiar with the Musical modes, flamenco style of guitar, or Baroque style or guitar. I'm just shooting from the hip obviously, but people who say they aren't familiar with classical, they do shut off a whole avenue of learning and teaching guitar.

sounds really interesting dude, thanks for the tip! I'm howver not interested in any of the styles you mention (yes, metalhead here ) But I guess there is a lot of truth in what you are saying!
Quote by pjuckazz
sounds really interesting dude, thanks for the tip! I'm howver not interested in any of the styles you mention (yes, metalhead here ) But I guess there is a lot of truth in what you are saying!

Well, the modes are fairly important to Metal, something you may want to consider. You may want to ask him if he considers himself able to teach the Musical modes.

Anyway, hope I helped.
just be careful. if he has a big ass hole in his living room floor its not an indoor pool.

i wont fall for that a second time !
POST RAWK
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, the modes are fairly important to Metal, something you may want to consider. You may want to ask him if he considers himself able to teach the Musical modes.

Anyway, hope I helped.

You really did! But I must find out how to say Musical modes in Swedish
Quote by pjuckazz

well in order to write most modern metal music or at least have a better understanding of what you play, it is good to understand some elements of classical. modes and scales are very useful knowledge

Edit- damn. someone beat me to it
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Last edited by (sic)duckmaggot at Sep 6, 2010,
bring an adult with you. hell, I'm supposedly an adult and I always have at least one or two older people in tow.
Quote by pjuckazz
someone from sweden help me translate musical modes :P

Ask Kensai.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.