Ok, so I've been trying to set intonation on my guitar for a while, and something always goes wrong and I give up.

The way I've been intonating...

I am using a tuner with fresh batteries by the way...
and my strings are fresh and they are broken in.

Example: I play the G string on the 12 fret... and then I play the open G string. The fretted G string is sharper than the open G string, so I would want to lengthen the string by moving the saddle away from the headstock correct? Well, I can't because the saddle is already all the way away from the headstock! I can't move the saddle any farther from the headstock...
It does this with all of the strings. I am lost and have no idea what to do.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great because this is really starting to make me mad and my music teacher at school is getting tweaked because my guitar doesn't stay in tune all the way up the neck which is a problem when we go to improv...

Any help is GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Aaron
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
I think that this same kind of thing happens with Floyd Rose bridges, when the trem claw is already screwed all the way into the body. You have to start from scratch.

Try taking off your strings, setting all the saddles back to 0, and then restring again.

What guitar are you using, and what sized strings are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I think that this same kind of thing happens with Floyd Rose bridges, when the trem claw is already screwed all the way into the body. You have to start from scratch.

Try taking off your strings, setting all the saddles back to 0, and then restring again.

What guitar are you using, and what sized strings are you using?

Epiphone SG G-310, and Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s
What tuning?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What tuning?

...standard
EADGBe
That sounds perfect.

Try what I suggested, and then post back if it still doesn't work.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

First off I don't have a trem, and it's a TOM bridge.
You certainly don't mean put the same strings on again do you?
I'm not putting new strings on, I just bought these...and I don't have an extra pack just laying around.

Why would restringing and trying to intonate be any different from de-tuning and setting the saddles as close to the head stock as they can go, and then trying to intonate?
No no no, I don't mean that you have a trem, I was just using that as an example of the procedure.

Yeah, if the strings are still new, it isn't a big deal if you take them off and take them back on. New strings would be better though.

If nothing works, I think that neck relief may have something to do with it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
how off are the notes? enough to tell by ear? are you tuning up the open note after every saddle turn? have you even successfully intonated a guitar before?

if none of the above apply,
check your neck relief. the how to is in the first post of the setup thread.
then post back here. tell me what fits in the relief
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
how off are the notes? enough to tell by ear?
I can't tell by ear

are you tuning up the open note after every saddle turn?
Yes

have you even successfully intonated a guitar before?

no, this is the only guitar I've ever attempted it on and I've tried so many times...

if none of the above apply,
check your neck relief. the how to is in the first post of the setup thread.
then post back here. tell me what fits in the relief

I checked the first post about neck relief and I'm pretty sure I have enough neck relief. A medium pick fits snugly in the gap and it's not bigger than a credit card's thickness, and it's not touching the fret crowns.

But...the post said something about "with a balanced bridge...hold E 1st fret, and E 19th fret..."

What do you mean by a balanced bridge?
I looked at my TOM and the half with the G, B, and e strings is lower than the half with the E, A , and D strings. In other words the bridge is not level... is it supposed to be? And if it is how high should it be? Could my action be the cause of my poor intonation all along?!

I remember vaguely back in the day, I tried to adjust my TOM to get rid of very minor fret buzz but I had no idea what I was doing.

Thanks for helping me out by the way,

Aaron
no problem Aaron.

well, "with a balanced bridge" doesnt really apply to you.
that's for when a guy has a trem and it's lifted ass end in the air.

that sentence is not really about action.

the relief is close enough.
yes, action can help, but if it's way off, maybe not enough, and you dont want buzz.

you can try flipping saddles, but it probably wont be enough, plus it shouldnt be all strings.

ok here's the skinny.
you tell me what you think it might be....

1. the strings are messed up out of the pack.

2. your nut cuts are messed up from factory and you can only intonate with certain gauge strings. 9? maybe 11?

3. you're not intonating properly?

4. you flipped the bridge when removing all the strings, maybe it popped off?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
no problem Aaron.

well, "with a balanced bridge" doesnt really apply to you.
that's for when a guy has a trem and it's lifted ass end in the air.

that sentence is not really about action.
gotcha

the relief is close enough.
yes, action can help, but if it's way off, maybe not enough, and you dont want buzz.

you can try flipping saddles, but it probably wont be enough, plus it shouldnt be all strings.

ok here's the skinny.
you tell me what you think it might be....

1. the strings are messed up out of the pack.
I've tried with other strings in the past
2. your nut cuts are messed up from factory and you can only intonate with certain gauge strings. 9? maybe 11?
I've tried with 9s in the past, no luck
3. you're not intonating properly?
I've quadruple checked from different people and different websites
4. you flipped the bridge when removing all the strings, maybe it popped off?

Hm, I kind of remember taking off the TOM all together a long time ago, maybe...

The screws I turn to move the saddles...
...are the heads supposed to be pointing toward the headstock?

And something else I noticed...although I never messed with them three of the actual saddles are facing the opposite direction.

The E, A, and D, string's saddles are facing with the slant toward the headstock, while the other three are facing away...?
Yes on the g310 the intonation screws face the headstock out of the factory. Yes the E, A and D saddles are meant to be facing the opposite way to the G, B and E saddles. It's meant to help with intonation.

What strings specifically are giving you the intonation problem?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
Yes on the g310 the intonation screws face the headstock out of the factory. Yes the E, A and D saddles are meant to be facing the opposite way to the G, B and E saddles. It's meant to help with intonation.

What strings specifically are giving you the intonation problem?

As mentioned above: Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s, and I've tried it with D'addarios (spelling) as well
I'm sorry I meant which of the 6 strings on your guitar are giving you the problem?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
well,

we're running out of choices here.

1. different string gauge.

2. neck relief.

3. new nut.

how does the guitar play?
any fretbuzz, action feel high?

and

do you ever note a difference on any string?
(by that i mean do the strings sound more in tune all the way saddle back?)

i just don't know which way to send you.

my intuition is telling me that if you need to go sharp, you'd want to raise action
at the bridge,

or

or separate the nut from saddle ridges and straighten the neck more.

also, given that logic, you'd want lighter gauge strings so the neck can relax and
allow more room for intonation.

guess what, worst case? you can swap out or shim the nut for like $25, installed.
properly cut, the intonation will be correct.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You could always pay someone to do it for you, you know.
Orrrr ask your guitar teacher to do it since it pisses him off so much.
love is love // return to dust
So I decided to turn my truss rod and I turned it 3 turns clock wise and now it works...just kidding...

I tried raising my action and it still wasn't intonating...it was actually getting worse!

So I decided to set my action back to the original height I had it at and I lowered it...and now it intonates very well, almost perfect!

Weird,

Thanks for your help everyone! I appreciate it.
yeah some guitars are so finicky. glad you found the sweet spot
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62