So I have set my mind on a Mesa Roadster head. Now I need a cabinet. A 2x12 would fit my needs, but how do am I supposed to chose which one? Should I just go for the Mesa Roadster cabinet or could another brand sound as good for cheaper? I have honestly no idea what my criteria should be... Any help is welcome, as always
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

the main factor is what speakers are in the cab, what material is used for the construction of the cab and how it is put together
Quote by britishsligean
the main factor is what speakers are in the cab, what material is used for the construction of the cab and how it is put together

So that's the cab in its entirety
^no, he didn't saying anything porting/interdeflection, crossover/wiring, and design. i will post my canned response in the edit.

cabinets are:
1 cabinet
2 speakers
3 wiring
4 design

first off is cabinet, the construction is generally a marine grade baltic birch ply, it is voidless and doesn't resonate(or shake, shaking is bad in that efficiency is lost). cheaper cabs use plywood and press board. mdf is usually to heavy to use with a mobile cab, so it is avoided. older cabs (and some newer) are known to use pine which flex's and has a unique sound. but the modern concept is less resonant wood is preferable because of a more efficient sound transfer so a thick baltic birch ply (~17mm, or ~1/4") is considered premium. most baltic birch comes from a few sources and a few manufacturers and quality is considered fairly flat across the manufacturers from what i hear. basically baltic birch's quality is independent of source and is considered fairly consistent across manufacturers for all intents and purposes.

most cabs use joints to attach the sides of the cabs together. a cab using fasteners(like staples, screws or nails) are considered of lesser quality. most cabs will use finger or dovetail jointing, i don't really see one advantage over another, i hear dovetail is a bit more complicated to do but looks more ornate (but i may be wrong).

second: speakers. these are their own beast themselves. their voicing and components lend themselves to their purposes. matching a speaker for impedance, power handling, response, tone, etc is a personal process. most people start with V30's, and those are pretty good 'beginner' speakers for those who don't know what they want yet. some people like them in the long run, but most will move onto something more specific. examples: g12m-25's for classic rock tone, g12K-100 for metal, alnico blue for boutique low powered amps, etc.

but the points you must consider are the technical, if your head has a 16 ohm out, then get a cab wired for 16 ohms. if it only has 8 ohm, then get an 8 ohm wired cab. also, you must consider power handling. if you have a 50 watt head, then you'll want speaker that handle at least 50 watts total (if you like speaker breakup) or about 75 to 100 watts(if you like a flat response across your volume range and a tighter sound, i recommend this for metal).

third: wiring. this can get complicated, but i'll use a 2x12 for example, cuz it is a bit more simple. you can wire a 2x12 in series or parallel(parallel has extra low end and smooths the signal). you can also wire it for mono or stereo output(or both). these choices have multiple consequences, the easiest is just to wire the whole cab mono for 8 or 16 ohm.

fourth design. this deals with multiple facets previously mentioned, but it is intertwines those with other concerns such as open or closed back design, dimensions, speak number size and orientation. impedance rating is also relevant to applications

all these factors (and many more) contribute to the overall tone of an amp.

that is a canned response i have posted many times, ask any specific questions if you have any?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 6, 2010,
contruction and design can be considered a bit different. i consider design including internal space allowed, open close back, porting options and crossovers/wiring (even speaker size). this is because these are things thought about even before materials, jointing, and hardware are considered. in fact, materials used will probably dictated by the design (because design will imply it use).

for example, design might entail a ported 4x10 design for bass, which will be quite different from a 4x10 design for guitar even though the materials may be almost identical. how it is put together doesn't necessarily imply why it is put together that way.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 6, 2010,
the 2x12 mesa roadster cab sounds great, if you can find one used go for it
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Quote by gumbilicious
^no, he didn't saying anything porting/interdeflection, crossover/wiring, and design. i will post my canned response in the edit.

*Long ass post*

Lots of useful info there, thanks!

But to what point does the cab affect the tone? And how do I know which one would sound better to me? I can't really go around music stores carrying my amp head
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Quote by jbab
But to what point does the cab affect the tone?

there are a number of ways it effects tone, my advice is that you shouldn't take anyone here's word on what sounds better/best and try to play as many cabs as possible.

Quote by jbab
And how do I know which one would sound better to me?

you can do this one of 2 ways.

1) get excited about a certain brand or piece of equipment and then buy it then just go ahead blissfully thinking that the cab you have is 'perfect' for you.

2) you can try a bunch of stuff out, become educated on the subject matter and realize there is no perfection decide which piece of the tone pie you want

Quote by jbab
I can't really go around music stores carrying my amp head

i wouldn't recommend doing anything LESS than carrying my head from store to store. be bold, make it look like you know what you're doing, don't buy the first thing you try.

before i ended up with my ppc212, i tried the competition (mesa, marshall), some boutique (hiwatt, dr. z), and custom cabs just to gain parity of how good things can get and the types of characteristics that define the sound of cabs.

there is no way i can translate my knowledge of cabs effectively enough where you'd really know what you'd want based on my written description. you are really gonna have to hear these things for yourself.

get out there, play equipment, find out what is in it, find out what makes i different, find out what it's made of and how it's made and who really makes it.

if i never poured the time into trying as much as possible, i'd have probably never found some of my favorite pedals, pickups, speakers or cabs.

-ae