I'm trying to get the 80's rock sound and I need some help in finding some pedals. I have the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion. I'm thinking of bying a boost pedal and a overdrive pedal. Any suggestions on what pedals i need to buy?

Has anyone tried the Ruby Red Boost from Mad Professor? Is it any good for me?

Thanks in advice!
Amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
wtf? isn't the Mighty Red supposed to give you that sound stright out of the box? :S what guitar do you have?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Anti2k
I'm trying to get the 80's rock sound and I need some help in finding some pedals. I have the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion. I'm thinking of bying a boost pedal and a overdrive pedal. Any suggestions on what pedals i need to buy?

Has anyone tried the Ruby Red Boost from Mad Professor? Is it any good for me?

Thanks in advice!

depending on the "80s" sound you're going for you can go a couple of ways.

if you're looking for the more "commercial" sound like Def Leppard, or anything like that Go the Rockman route. A rockman Sustainor, a 31 band EQ, a Rockman Chorus and a delay/reverb of some sort. run this straight to the PA. this rig is a tweaker's delight. it'll run about a thousand dollars and will do pretty much anything 80s you want. but most notably the sounds of "Hysteria" by Def Leppard and ZZ top.

if you want a more 'cut and dry" rig for the typical 80s sound (Metallica, Skid Row and bands of the like) just get a JCM 800 2203, a 1960B with Vintage 30s and a Les Paul. and you're set. maybe a tubescreamer or SD1 for boosting.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Got a Laney Cub10 that I use right now. I got a couple of amps, or my dad has. He has a big Vox amp and a Laney top and a little Vox amp. Don't know the details on them cause I don't use them. But I'm planing on buying a Marshall Haze 15.

I got a Gibson Les Pauls Standard Epiphone, but I'm going to buy a original Les Paul Standard in a few months.

EDIT: The sound I want is Whitesnake, Skid Row. Yea, that kind of stuff.
Last edited by Anti2k at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by Anti2k
Got a Laney Cub10 that I use right now. I got a couple of amps, or my dad has. He has a big Vox amp and a Laney top and a little Vox amp. Don't know the details on them cause I don't use them. But I'm planing on buying a Marshall Haze 15.

I got a Gibson Les Pauls Standard Epiphone, but I'm going to buy a original Les Paul Standard in a few months.

EDIT: The sound I want is Whitesnake, Skid Row. Yea, that kind of stuff.

Don't buy a Haze, not good at that sound at all. it's muddy and undefined.

for Whitesnake and Skid Row type stuff I recommend a JCM800 Combo if you look you can find them for about the price of a new Haze. Another good amp to look into would be a Laney AOR50 combo GREAT amp for you actually. the AOR was used by Ratt for a long time you can find them for less than 400 dollars if you look
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The JCM800 kinda screams '80s to me as far as amps go.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks alot! The JCM800 it is!

The pedals I got:

2 Mighty Reds
Big Muff
White OCD overdrive
Holy Grail

Is it any good combining Mighty Red and Holy Grail for reverb?
Keep in mind you'll have to look used.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The JCM is 100W? Forgot to say that I think Iæm not ready for a so big deal yet. I need a good max 15W amp. If it is a combo, even bether! Anyone know of any? Not to much expensive.
I'll just throw some stuff out there....may or not be 15w and may not be exactly in budget.

Egnater Tweaker and Rebel 20
Peavey Classic 30, VTX, XXX with EL34 tubes, Vypyr ____.
Vox VTs or AC15
Orange Tiny Terror, Dual Terror or Thunder 30
Laney LC30 or AOR series
Jet City JCA20
Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20
Blackheart BH-5 or BH-100
Marshall DSL201
B52 AT or ATX60
Bugera 1960, 1990, V22, V55
Epiphone Valve Sr or So Cal 50

more stuff I can't think of....

No particular order either and some of those you may have to find used and like I said some may be over budget or not perfect but it is hard to do this with a limited budget.

PS: There are 50w JCM800s
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 8, 2010,
I'm all about 80s hard rock as well, and for less than 1000 dollars I set up a nice rig perfect for the tones I was looking for.

I use a Fender Blues Junior (15W tube), and run a MXR Classic Overdrive, Fulltone OCD, and TC Nova Repeater in the front (no FX loop). With this setup I can get anything from Boston to Whitesnake to the blues, all through these pedals and my guitar's volume knob. I absolutely love it, and it's the perfect size for recording!
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
A Carvin X100b with the factory hot rod mod was designed to be a JCM800 killer. It came in combos, and has a 25/50/100% power switch. The 5 band active EQ can dial in any 80's tone imaginable, the cleans are amazing, totally an underrated amp. Cheap on eBay too!!!!! Just my two cents...
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by Anti2k
The JCM is 100W? Forgot to say that I think Iæm not ready for a so big deal yet. I need a good max 15W amp. If it is a combo, even bether! Anyone know of any? Not to much expensive.

Just because it's 100w doesn't really mean it's always mind-blowingly loud. In fact, I run a 60w tube amp as my home amp.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
If your amp has an effects loop you could always snag a ADA MP1 and use that as a preamp. Would probably save you a lot.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs