when i play this i use the following fingers

(not using pinky)
E-13-12-10-13-12-10-13-12-10
B--------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------

but i read somewhere that guitar playing is al about efficiency, so you should use the following finger setting. (so your middle finger is skipped).
E-13-12-10-13-12-10-13-12-10
B--------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------

but when i try too play like this i play really slow.

so my question is should i play like above, or try to learn it the way as below?

ps, sorry for my sucky english.
Last edited by x0vincent0x at Sep 6, 2010,
it doesnt matter, everyone has their own technique of playing. play what ever feels most comfortable to you
Quote by FallenByohazard
it doesnt matter, everyone has their own technique of playing. play what ever feels most comfortable to you

This. Apply this answer to almost everything technique-related. As long as it works for you and doesn't hurt yourself or the guitar- go for it!

EDIT: Also, I have the exact same issue. I'm still figuring out which way is most comfortable for myself in certain positions
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Sep 6, 2010,
It's mostly a comfort level thing. Do whatever feels good. But what speed you play something at shouldn't make any difference on how you play it. However you play something at 60 BPM, you should play it the same way at 160 BPM.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I don't disagree with the opinons above... however, at some point your presumably going to want to play some stuff that's a little more complex, and needs your 4th finger to be as strong and agile as the others. So i recommend that you develop it anyway right now.

While it's fine to always play stuff in whatever way feels most comfortable... it should be because you choose to play that way, not because you have no other option.

So I'll say that you should learn it the "harder" way, and be able do both equally well. Not for your example above... but rather for your overall development.