if your like me, you'll find the easiest way to play is with your fingers coming across the fretboard at about a 45 degree angle and your thumb sits snuggly on the top of the fingerboard (where the dots inlays are located)... most notably when you play the high E across about 4 or 5 frets. now, i watched a few vids of Dave Mustaine and he illustrated how the thing that helped his playing most was learing to bring his fretting fingers perpendicular (at 90 degrees to) the frets. ive been trying this but have realised my thumb and the muscles around it are hurting as i try (particularly while played the low E and stretching a few frets).

my thumb seems to naturally sit on the middle of the back of the neck, but i'm thinkin this may be the source of my dscomfort. i have tried holding my thumb against the binding on the side of the neck as i usually do, but this makes it damn hard to play with my fingers at 90 degrees to the frets.

anyone got any helpful suggestions/advice?
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Your thumb and index finger should be opposite on the fretboard and neck

That's a bit hard to understand, but if your index finger is on the B string on the 3rd fret, that's where your thumb should be behind it, towards the bottom...if that makes sense

That's what my teacher told me.
It's much easier to cleanly hit different notes if your thumb is on the back of the neck, as if your pinching the neck with your index and thumb.

On another note, your thumb may be in so much discomfort because your puting too much pressure on it.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
ive been trying this but have realised my thumb and the muscles around it are hurting as i try (particularly while played the low E and stretching a few frets).

First time you tried playing this way? That's probably why it's uncomfortable. Give it some time and ease into it.
(not sure if this applies to you but...)
It's also helpful when playing thumb-behind-neck to have your neck raised upward. It's a better angle for the wrist/fingers. Reaching too far down to play this way makes it more difficult (and might be contributing to discomfort).