a 4x10 and a 1x15 amp?
obviously one has 4, 10 inch speakers, and the other has 1, 15 inch speaker.

Assuming both amps are exactly the same, other than the speaker arrangement that is, both 300 watts, both same brand, same series, just ones a 4x10 and ones a 1x15. Whats the difference?

tonally, is the 1x15 capable of a crisper, cleaner low end? or is the 4x10 better for that because its less work load on each speaker? also if both amps are 300 watts, whats the difference between them?
Ultimately the difference is just in sound, and comes to personal preference.

The low E string on a bass is about 41Hz.

Most 4x10 cabs will have a frequency response beginning at anywhere between 50-60. You'll find that most 1x15 cabs ranged from 35-45.

So basically, you're not actually hearing all the low end your bass is giving off through a 4x10 (unless you find one that can hit those frequencies).

This isn't always a bad thing though. It really depends what sound you're going for, because you could argue that a 4x10 sounds better at the top end.

Personally I opt for a 1x15 because it gives more than enough top end for me anyway (and I like my top end). I still cut straight through the mix with mine, but at the same time I have a much fatter, nice, round sounding low end than I've ever got through any lesser sized speakers.

The only way you can really decide for sure I'd say is to try them.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Ultimately the difference is just in sound, and comes to personal preference.

The low E string on a bass is about 41Hz.

Most 4x10 cabs will have a frequency response beginning at anywhere between 50-60. You'll find that most 1x15 cabs ranged from 35-45.

So basically, you're not actually hearing all the low end your bass is giving off through a 4x10 (unless you find one that can hit those frequencies).

This isn't always a bad thing though. It really depends what sound you're going for, because you could argue that a 4x10 sounds better at the top end.

Personally I opt for a 1x15 because it gives more than enough top end for me anyway (and I like my top end). I still cut straight through the mix with mine, but at the same time I have a much fatter, nice, round sounding low end than I've ever got through any lesser sized speakers.

The only way you can really decide for sure I'd say is to try them.

Thank you kind sir. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. I'm leaning towards the 1x15 because I love my low end, although I do also love my top end. Next time I go to a music store I'll try them out. Thanks for your input though, it helped clarify it a lot.
Second hand extension cabs are cheap so you might as well have both.

I prefer 15" speakers but only with horns and tweeters.

The easiest way to distinguish the two is that 10" are clear sounding when 15" are GROWLEH.
Quote by Spaz91
Second hand extension cabs are cheap so you might as well have both.

I prefer 15" speakers but only with horns and tweeters.

The easiest way to distinguish the two is that 10" are clear sounding when 15" are GROWLEH.

I'll keep that in mind, I'm out of a job right now, so I've got no income. Not too mention I have to finish my custom bass before I go off buying new amps.