Don't any of you people just get a bit bored of shredding? You see all those guys in the top rated guitarist thing on this site and its only because of shredding. Shredding shredding shredding... more shredding...

Im not saying fast isnt cool... some of my favourite guitarist (Dave Murray, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa) are very quick... but they can be slow aswell and still have huge amounts of feeling...

Shreddings a quick way to impress a kid, but it wont impress the big big people much i bet...
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Buckethead is great example of an amazing guitarist. He can shred, shred, shred like nobody's business , but when it's needed, he can be extremely melodically and slow. He's one of the most diverse guitar players out there, and in my opinion is one of the best in the world right now.
If a pizza has a radius of "Z" and a height of "A" it has a volume of pi(z)(z)(a)
Yeah i know Bucketheads pretty damn good, but im on about people on this site... mainly teenagers like myself...
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

Satriani!!!!!!! Listen to Always With Me, Always With You and you'll know he can actually write.

As for myself, I don't work on shredding so much as rhythm because I don't find any joy in shredding. It's difficult, tiring and I much prefer an awesome riff to a solo.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Snowman388
Satriani!!!!!!! Listen to Always With Me, Always With You and you'll know he can actually write.

As for myself, I don't work on shredding so much as rhythm because I don't find any joy in shredding. It's difficult, tiring and I much prefer an awesome riff to a solo.

tbh once you know a scale and you just know it off by heart you will be able to shred easily, thats all it is... but im talking more in the lines of blues... ye know... ever heard of Paul Kossoff?

I don't really like shred as a genre, and that's what I associate most with the word "shredding." For example, I love John McLaughlin, and he's one of the fastest players out there, but I don't really consider him a shredder, since he doesn't play shred.

The difference between McLaughlin and your average shredder is the fact that McLaughlin improvises all of his solos, and instead of playing over modal vamps, he generally plays over complicated chord changes (although not always; he recorded a cover of John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme," which is a modal jazz suite).

Speaking of blues, here's Coltrane playing a little blues called "Blue Train": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GrP6thz-k

Now before you say "WTF man, that's not blues," or "There's no feeling in that," just LISTEN. For one, it's a jazz blues, so no, it's not exactly Buddy Guy. But Coltrane had the blues in every note he ever played, whether he was playing a blues or not. And McLaughlin has much of the same fiery emotion in his playing.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 6, 2010,
I always relate it to football (American Football)
You can take a college football running back who is blazing fast. Like runs a sub 4.3 40.
He's amazingly fast and that's great , but if he can cut back and change up speeds , juke , maybe a spin move here and there .... he's not going to do much good on the next level.

A lot of people instantly relate fast to good
fast doesn't always = good .... it just equals fast.
you do realize that "feeling" is an innate emotion percieved only by the listener and neither the musician nor the instrument. if you don't feel it then i must assume you to be broken?

i hate these "shredz haz no emoshunz itz got no feelzorz to it!" threads.
My three favorite guitarists at the moment are John Fruscinate, Jerry Cantrell, and Kim Thayil.

Obviously, they have good chops, but they have plenty of feeling and creativity as well, and that's what's important.
We can teach technique; we can't teach feeling. That's why so many threads on here deal with playing fast.

You also have to keep in mind that many of the people on this site are young-ish. They're impressed by the speedy playing. They're the ones who vote the shreddy songs high.
Quote by MarshallStackLP
Don't any of you people just get a bit bored of shredding? You see all those guys in the top rated guitarist thing on this site and its only because of shredding. Shredding shredding shredding... more shredding...

Im not saying fast isnt cool... some of my favourite guitarist (Dave Murray, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa) are very quick... but they can be slow aswell and still have huge amounts of feeling...

Shreddings a quick way to impress a kid, but it wont impress the big big people much i bet...

please stop talking. you have no idea what you are talking about. speed does not = no emotion. playing slow doesnt mean anything either. if you dont like shredding, dont listen to shredders. simple as that. id argue that you cant create music without putting "soul" into it because its a creative art. when you create art its pretty much a given that you put emotion into it. you cant just turn emotion off. people play the way they do because it pleases them.

so when you hear someone and you think they have no feeling, really its just that YOU dont feel anything when they play. it has no reflection on the emotional input of the artist.
Blues? Pfft. Slow blues bores the shit out of me. If that's feeling, give me morphine.