I currently am selling my DD-7 seeing as I don't use it much, and the sheer versatility and spectrum is a little much for me. It seems I like simple pedals best after all .

Anyway I was thinking about going for a more simplistic but better sounding delay, which led me to analog delays. So I was looking at the MXR Carbon Copy, and it seems like a good option to me.

Also I am getting really really tired of the lack of quality and the hassle of using of my effects loop of my amp. So I was thinking I would just run this out in front, and mainly use it on clean settings or with my overdrive. Would that work?

I'm looking for:
-decent amount of time, the 600 ms of the CC is decent. 200 or 300 isn't enough
-warm delay repeats, modulation as well
-I'm playing some Angels & Airwaves kind of riffs on it.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Analogs are amazing for clean delays, and the CC does slapback wonderfully. I dunno I'd be so keen on using it behind an overdrive though, as the repeats will breakup on their own naturally. Whats your budget? Willing to go used? Can you give us some examples of where you use delay?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
Analogs are amazing for clean delays, and the CC does slapback wonderfully. I dunno I'd be so keen on using it behind an overdrive though, as the repeats will breakup on their own naturally. Whats your budget? Willing to go used? Can you give us some examples of where you use delay?

Well, a lot of the time I do the palm muting sort of effect that gives the delay a whole different sound. I might use it for solos but that would be hard out in front of the amp. More often to liven up chords and it specific palm muted sections.

Budget is ballpark 100 USD. Absolutely willing to go used.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
You might find one of the Malekko Ekko's on that budget secondhand, but it's unlikely.
May find a T.C Nova Delay, but you should definately be able to get a Nova Repeater on that budget. That would probably be the ideal, short of saving and going for an eventide timefactor or an empress super delay.
The CC is by no means a bad delay though, also have a look at the memory boy by EHX. Go have a play of some of those and see what you dig.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
My mate is going delay crazy atm
He currently has a Boss DD3/DD7, the carbon copy, Malekko Ekko 616, and another one coming soon but i forgot what it was, maybe a T Rex (if they do one)

His name is hammyguitarist9, look on my friends list and shoot him a PM.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
On a $100 budget you can look at the EHX Memory Boy...

What's wrong with your effects loop?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
On a $100 budget you can look at the EHX Memory Boy...

What's wrong with your effects loop?

There's probably nothing "wrong" with it, but it just seems to suck some tone, as well as add a ridiculous amount of noise, and be a pain to continually have two more chords to hook in.

Originally I had my BF-2, Small Clone, 10 Band EQ, and DD-7 in there. Then I took out the BF-2 and Small Clone and the noise persisted.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon

I'm looking for:
-decent amount of time, the 600 ms of the CC is decent. 200 or 300 isn't enough
-warm delay repeats, modulation as well
-I'm playing some Angels & Airwaves kind of riffs on it.

Sounds pretty much perfect. I've got one. It is a very, very warm delay. The thing about it is, it's also a very subtle sound. You can't really use it for U2 stuff or anything like that because it's just not prominent enough in the mix. I use mine almost like a pseudo-reverb to give more depth to clean passages. It works perfectly for that. Sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by R.D
You might find one of the Malekko Ekko's on that budget secondhand, but it's unlikely.
May find a T.C Nova Delay, but you should definately be able to get a Nova Repeater on that budget. That would probably be the ideal, short of saving and going for an eventide timefactor or an empress super delay.
The CC is by no means a bad delay though, also have a look at the memory boy by EHX. Go have a play of some of those and see what you dig.

i picked one up for $115 to my door after seaching TGP for a few days.

if you are able to stretch, it wouldn't be hard to find one at $125.

mine arrives tomorrow. i will try to get back to this thread to tell you how i like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

mine arrives tomorrow. i will try to get back to this thread to tell you how i like it.

Thank you so much.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Sounds pretty much perfect. I've got one. It is a very, very warm delay. The thing about it is, it's also a very subtle sound. You can't really use it for U2 stuff or anything like that because it's just not prominent enough in the mix. I use mine almost like a pseudo-reverb to give more depth to clean passages. It works perfectly for that. Sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

that is pretty much my response as well as that is how I use mine. Love it.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I too agree with that, and it's how I use mine. If you want something that can use for the Big Sur Moon or U2 sorta thing, it might not be the best option, but I love mine.

You should definitely check out the Malekko Ekko 616, a lot of people prefer it and from what I've heard it's great, though I've never had the chance to use one.
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Sep 7, 2010,
for the quality, price and features of the BBE two timer, i really dont know why it doesnt get more reccomendations in these forums? beats the carbon copy hands down in MY opinion.
I love my Carbon Copy, but it does have a very distinct way of "muddying" (for lack of a better term, I personally think it's a good thing) the repeats. And since it's analogue you can do some cool tricks with the knobs and get crazy sounds.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
IMHO, Just keep the DD7. What are you gonna do without tap tempo if you play live?
Quote by Magicpad
IMHO, Just keep the DD7. What are you gonna do without tap tempo if you play live?

Wing it. The only thing that tap tempo is useful for is solos, otherwise most riffs with delay are more subtle and you can just pull it off with the delay in the ballpark of what it was originally. And i don't really play solos, let alone with delay.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
save up for a memory man XO. I played the carbon copy and found the repeats too dark.

MMXO>malleko though it costs more.
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by WtrPlyr
What don't you like about the DD7 apart from the versatility? If you liked the sound, the CC is gonna sound way different.

The DD-7 has both its several normal digital delay modes and the analog replica one. I've been using the analog one just to play around, and when I switch back to the other ones they sound dull. The analog has that slightly distorted, and very warm sound. Course I figure instead of using the analog mode I could just go get an analog delay.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by NobleT
save up for a memory man XO. I played the carbon copy and found the repeats too dark.

MMXO>malleko though it costs more.

If he's going to save for a memory man, he may as well go hunting an empress superdelay. I mean seriously.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by trashedlostfdup

here is your follow up on the malekko. i just opened it two hours ago and messed around with it for a bit.

the tone definitely stays more true on the repeats than the CC which is a plus, which was the first thing i noticed. i would not use it on true bypass at all, the buffered bypass is by far the way to go, so you get no loss of tone.

me being relatively new to delays (in all eight years of my playing, before this i never just needed one), there was a bit of a learning curve. i like the mix at 9 o'clock, any higher and it gets too blended between the original note and the repeat. i set the repeat knob all the way down for about 1 repeat where i had the delay at and it is doing exactly what i am looking for, as the music i am playing in church is more along the lines of alternative.

i turned the repeats up and kicked on the modulation for more ambient type stuff, and it is true that if you tweak the speed and depth, you can get a choursy type thing going on or like a tremolo thing going on, which i may or may not use in the future.

everything on this pedal goes to the extreme, which is good for flexibility i guess, but i need nowhere near the repeats, the mix depth, or the modulation that this offers. it seems to me that it is more designed for ambient sounds with the extremity of its controls, but it is definitely still usable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's a very warm sounding delay, and the modulation effect is quite subtle.

The memory boy, on the other hand, has a very obvious modulation effect, not something that is applicable to AvA style music. It gets this "warbly" sound pretty quickly.