I've owned and played quite a few basses, some cheap some ridiculously expensive.
i have a squire affinity P bass that i just cant get over. the neck rocks, the sound is amazing, i think its better then most MIM P's. my squire cost me a hundred bucks and is completely stock, but has a monster tone. to this day its my number one go to bass.

Any of you guys or girls ever have a cheap bass that just blew your mind?
A Hondo pawn shop short scale. It has one P-Bass split pickup, yet I can sound exactly like Simon Gallup.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
A Hondo pawn shop short scale. It has one P-Bass split pickup, yet I can sound exactly like Simon Gallup.

I have a Hondo nylon stringed classical guitar that cost me around 50 bucks or so.

Needless to say, it sounds awesome.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I bought my Traben new for just under $300. Absolutely fantastic, can't say enough good things about it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Starter pack Ibanez. I run it through a chorus and an overdrive, play some Forty-Six & 2, and I'm mistaken for Justin Chancellor himself.
Quote by Rancid Ivy
I have a Hondo nylon stringed classical guitar that cost me around 50 bucks or so.

Needless to say, it sounds awesome.

Man, most classical guitars if you keep them in good shape for a long enough time and they're generally sturdily built, they all end up sounding awesome.
My high school's had a classroom full of cheapos, but some that survived 10 years or so have really opened up and have a really nice sound.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
not a bass but I have an acoustic that some 6 year old chinese boy made for me
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Royal Celebi
Starter pack Ibanez. I run it through a chorus and an overdrive, play some Forty-Six & 2, and I'm mistaken for Justin Chancellor himself.

Hahahaha. I bet you do.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
I have an old Squier P-bass (with a single chrome humbucker) that I picked up in a pawn shop for I think $45. I figured for that price I could risk the money.

The thing plays absolutely amazing. Neck is perfectly straight. Has that typical P-bass sound. I play it to this day on songs that require a deep, boomy sound...
I have a Epi Accubass. It was an "starter bass" when I got it, and I can't imagine the better half paid more than 200 USD for it and the amp back in the early 90s

Its all maple and has one of the sweetest brightest punchy tones I've ever heard out of a split humbucker barring getting a Fender Pbass. Other musicians have actually commented on it.
All my basses have been somewhat cheap.
I got a barely used Yamaha BB 404 as my "starter" bass. I've gigged with it at least 5 times and it works wonders. I got it for between £100 - £200.

I also have a Fender Jazz (MIJ) which I got for £380, used. It's about 30 years old too, still works, i've put more dints in it in about a year than it had accumulated over 30.

My latest is a 5 string Ibanez BTB 405 which I got for £315.

Then again these wern't "cheap" basses, just basses that are great and were cheap for some reason or another.
I sadly sold it and it may have been because it was my first bass. But my squier special was amazing. People were always very impressed by it. But alas in my youth i felt i needed to spend a couple of hundred of euro ti get a better bass. How silly i was.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Not a bass, but I have an old guitar that looks to be built by Tiesco...probably bought at Sears. The only flaw in its playing is that the intonation isn't adjustable, and is has typical single-coil hum. It feels great, though, and the sound is awesome...oddly dark for a single, but with clarity.

Strangely enough, even though it's a short scale, it was strung with flatwounds and tuned to A standard when I got it...

edit: A standard meaning 3.5 steps below normal
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 8, 2010,
ive got a red jay turser p bass that i got for free, i put neodyium(sp?) magnets on the pickups and with a touch of distortion it creates my dream tone =)
Gear
-----------------
ESP LTD B-104
Prehistoric Jay Turser P Copy - Custom Pickguard/Stickers
Jay Turser vintage series strat copy
Peavey NanoValve 30w
Boss DS-1
My Washburn RB2500

Got it second hand unplayed for AU$400 (the price of a squire) when it retailed for AU$2000 (the price of a MIA)

So yeah, pretty happy
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by killboypowerhed
i am about to get a 1975 american p bass completely free of charge. so that was surprising.

Ahh... you don't want one of those. You'll hate it. I'll give you $50 for it right now just to take it off your hands...

I just got an Ibanez BTB400QM in exchange for €80 worth of pickups.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I picked up my Ibanez SR400 from my bassist friend's girlfriend for $40... He gave it to her as a gift for her to learn on and she decided she wanted me to learn on it instead. T'was my first bass, and got a lot of mileage. Solid tone and in perfect condition.

Also, don't worry, my friend wasn't pissed off either.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz