Well i came up with something a while back. and i felt like i was onto something good.. but i got super stuck.. usaly when im stuck i get out of it in a day.. but i just couldnt think of ANYTHING! so i wanted to see if any of you had a idea.. and yup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn2nGSf9n6o
^link to it =P
anything would help =P
(used E minor)
Oh, look, the most overused metal progression of all time.

I dunno, maybe you should change up the progression, use chromatic harmonies (borrowed chords, Neapolitan chords, augmented sixth chords, etc.), stuff like that?
Quote by Holy Katana

I dunno, maybe you should change up the progression, use chromatic harmonies (borrowed chords, Neapolitan chords, augmented sixth chords, etc.), stuff like that?

saddly if i new how to i would D: im a noob at music theory when it comes to progressions. but what is that one? and what can i do O.o
yeah don't delve into that stuff yet - its just elitist "i know stuff" bs

Metalcore / Nu Metal have the lamest most overused chord progressions in existance, at least the simple stuff anyway.

Get some basic harmony theory down, like how to construct chords, understanding tonic, subdominant and dominant functions and how to put chords together to get out of it what you want, i.e. planning tension, relaxation

Hope I could help
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by Tominator_1991
yeah don't delve into that stuff yet - its just elitist "i know stuff" bs

Metalcore / Nu Metal have the lamest most overused chord progressions in existance, at least the simple stuff anyway.

Get some basic harmony theory down, like how to construct chords, understanding tonic, subdominant and dominant functions and how to put chords together to get out of it what you want, i.e. planning tension, relaxation

Hope I could help

Quote by Holy Katana

lolz

sigged

anywho, nu-metal isnt rocket science, its just creating something thats semi-original
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by Holy Katana

I'll call you out to post your suggested "improvement", rather than parrot a litany of MT terms - unless you're a member of knowledge = arrogance club, in which case is that the only "benefit" such knowledge has brought your way?

I'm surprised that you didn't throw in 2nd species counterpoint suggestions!

To the TS: A study of Music Theory would be a good start to open up your options for composing and ideas for writing your own music. I do mentor guitarists here. Click on my Mentoring link, and I'll see if I can't help answer any questions for you. But to start with I'd learn the Diatonic Major scale for the key that you want the song to be in. Its sort of a fixed formula, that upon studying a few you should be able to spot.

Your video wasnt too bad, at least youre out there trying, and that gets my respect. Unfortunately MT has plenty of tools, and I'm not speaking of musical ones, but the people type, but that says more about them, than it does you.

Don't let them bring you down.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 7, 2010,
I liked the melody, to be honest. The changes really could use some variation, though, whether it be diatonic or chromatic. I was hoping he might go to the V chord at some point.

And second species? Pssh, florid's where it's at.
ehh, sounded pretty standard and not too original to me, but it doesnt have to be, right?

The arps at the beginning were ok, but you are using the same 'chord' too much.. I couldnt tell really.. were Major triads with a fifth played after the third? It'll sound a lot more intresting if you change play around with the last note on those arpeggios.. a seventh here or there, maybe a fourth instead of a fifth, etc. Dont keep using the same chord 'shape', it sounds overly predictable and misses out on melody.

The powerchord part wasnt that great..
I dont really like to long lines of 'vanilla' powerchords, myself I usualy play around with the basic shape and add 'intrest' on each note rather than only giving a bare progression.

I see you did a few fills, but it definitly could use some more to spice things up. Also, I hear you can do pinch harmonics.. more of that please

Well, my general advice for parts like that would be to add 'intrest'. There is nothing wrong with playing powerchords, just dont make it sound like you are only playing *one* powerchord.. like, use bends or alternate a bit more between notes / chords to have a bit more dynamics and livelyness.

Other than that, youre not doing badly.. keep at it, and dont forget that you can also make stuff a lot more intresting by adding another guitar or a (sequenced) drum track.
Well I don't have any clue on music theory, but the simple riff in the intro can be more unique if you added some hammer on/pull offs, just little adjustments can make all the difference