Heres where my pain is located, it only happens when I'm doing the ionian shape between strings 3 and 4.

My pinky seems to straighten out and I feel it a lot along the top of the finger, but the joint itself hurts inside. It does not hurt when I stop, and flying it all over the place causes no pain... but I'm obviously doing something wrong. So far my technique is pretty good, I barely touch the strings to get my sound and can now blaze up and down scales. But thats useless if I get this pain.

How long should I stop playing guitar? A week? A month?
Actually, what I should be asking is:
If I still have this minor pain after (HOW LONG?? You answer here), should go see a doctor of some sorts?

Thanks

I should indicate that the pain is nothing major, it just started happening yesterday, and I noticed it also happening today so I'm stopping to be safe.
: )
cool diagram.
When you say you feel it a lot "along the top of the finger"... do you mean there is numbness in the finger? Or pain?

If so where exactly? The length of the finger? Just the tip? Are you certain it isolated to one finger only?
Quote by cringer
cool diagram.
When you say you feel it a lot "along the top of the finger"... do you mean there is numbness in the finger? Or pain?

If so where exactly? The length of the finger? Just the tip? Are you certain it isolated to one finger only?

The whole joint itself. Only the joint. I tried using some kind of stint to keep it straight, but that made it MUCH worse. I find leaving it naturally is better. Still though I'm a bit worried.
: )
I dont know whats wrong in your particular case, but as with any injury, ice it. If there's swelling, that'll help reduce it. And take ibuprofin.

I had a similar pain in my lower thumb a couple years back when I really started to play alot, and it was pretty intense. I slowed down on my playing. The pain took several weeks to go away when I didnt play, and several months for my thumb to get used to constant playing. But its all fine now.
Quote by Cjk10000
The whole joint itself. Only the joint. I tried using some kind of stint to keep it straight, but that made it MUCH worse. I find leaving it naturally is better. Still though I'm a bit worried.

OK specific pain is usually much better than numbness (relatively). I would just lay off the guitar and leave it alone for now.

If it doesn't noticably improve on it's own, or gets worse... then you might wanna go have it checked by a dr.

Just keep in mind - nobody on this forum can give you a medical exam. Your fingers are not the same as anyone else's... and they are the only ones you got.
Good luck with it.