Hey guys, new to these forums, hope you can help me out here. In a few months, I'm planning on auditioning to Berklee, along with a few other colleges looking to go into Music Education. I need a killer audition piece that'll net me some scholarships, especially to Berklee because there's no way I'll be able to afford that without some decent help.

I've been looking for a while now and can say I'm completely lost. I don't really want to do a piece like Jaco's Donna Lee because I want to do something different and I can imagine that's a pretty popular one.

I've focused almost all of time since I started playing bass developing my finger picking technique, which I can honestly say has gotten quite good. I can fly through quick licks and passages without much trouble anymore, so I guess you could say my forte is speed. I haven't delved much into slap or tapping, which is starting to hurt me at this point seeing as there are a lot of great bass solos out there that use a lot of that. I would rather find a song that fits my strengths than frantically work on stuff that I've never really focused on just to play one tune.

On the same token, I don't want to just play a song that shreds everywhere. I was toying with Dream Theater's Dance of Eternity, but I'm not too sure that's the kind of song the people at Berklee want to hear.

If you can suggest anything at all to me, it would be greatly appreciated. I have all the time in the world to practice, so I'm open to anything that doesn't rely TOO heavily on slapping or tapping. I'm willing to struggle through a little of that, but I'd rather play a song that focuses on normal finger picking.

Thanks a ton for any help you can offer!
Spain by Chic Corea, if speed is your thing, that song is all about keeping up and a head with off timing.

Soloing over the chorus is pretty hard/fun especially when you know a few different things that can go over each chord/leads into the next chord. it's also seen as a pretty hard piece as well.

Maybe try something that shows off time signature changes, good timing is a must for all bass players and showing you are down with it to that extent would be good. or something in an odd time signature like "take five"

the most important thing to remember is to be what the course is about if its a jazz course be jazz, if its contemporary be contemporary, also nail the interview not by saying how much you love playing but by how much of an asset you will be to the uni and why they'd prefer to have you over another identical player.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"