I've been contemplating learning to put my thumb in the normal position (curling over the fretboard) rather than what i am used to now ( somewhat pressed up against the back ). but if I get used to the normal position, will I be able to play the same, or will i have to re-practice the riffs i've come to know just like i did when i first learned them? Is switching my thumb's position just a new stretch or something entirely different?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
depends on what kind of stuff you play. if you're only a shredder, it's probably going to hurt more than help because it makes it harder to get good use out of your pinky.

try it and see if you like it. i personally use my thumb all the time, but it works well with the stuff i play. It may not work for you but you'll never know for sure unless you try.
I alternate between the two all the time. Especially when it comes to chords. Open sit much more comfortably with the thumb wrapped, while barres are so much better with the thumb underneath. Same goes for power chords vs shredding-style.

Basically, if I'm staying between a couple of strings, then I have my thumb underneath. If I'm moving across the neck, my thumb is wrapped around. Just keep doing what feels comfortable as long as you're not sacrificing accuracy or muscle health.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Keep your thumb at the back of the neck most of the time. I only ever have my thumb over the neck when I do bends, vibrato, or chords requiring it. For everything else, behind the neck is optimal.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Keep your thumb at the back of the neck most of the time. I only ever have my thumb over the neck when I do bends, vibrato, or chords requiring it. For everything else, behind the neck is optimal.

This. The thumb over the neck restricts stretch, finger mobility and finger independence.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
It depends on the type of music I'm playing. If I play RHCP,Hendrix,PJ,etc. That kind of stuff I'll instictively stretch my thumb out.

When I play Dream Theater or Paul Gilbert I always for some reason barre my chords because it practice my stretching over notes.

But that's just me.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay