Today at band practice i finally started using my ear plug or w.e you call it and in middle of a song i just pulled them out. They make all the noise all bassy so it makes me feel like i'm not playing in a natural state so i end up making more mistakes. I have some pretty half ass cheap ear plugs. So is that why?

Are their ear protection that doesn't change the actual sound when put on? I really dont want to be deaf when i'm 20 so yea...

P.S Links would be great!(for the ear protection website or where they sell them)

I really dont have a budget but i guess like 10$ ? idk how much these run for good ones? Be reasonable though :P.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
yes, but they're very expensive. cant remember an exact price, but you have to go to an ear doctor to get molds made. you can get different ones to reduce the sound by different amounts and they reduce the volume evenly across the spectrum.
okay awesome. This wont effect the tone right ? because thats whats killing me. The fact that it feels like there is water in my ears and like all the sound is muffled.

Btw any idea the estimate of how much it is? and i'll check out the hearos.

Thanks
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
anyone? which one?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
The problem your having is that you crappy plugs aren't cutting frequencies equally, so you're not getting a faithful representation of what you sound like.

Hearos work well.

If you are serious about playing, and about preserving your ears, I would recommend saving up for a pair of custom made molded plugs. I've seen them advertised for as cheap as $40
thanks guys. For now i think i'll stick with the cheaper one.

But later once we start doing heavy gigs i'll get the custom made ones. I think i get the hearos for now.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
sorry to bring this tread back up but i just realized i have hearos and they are not doing it for me.

i have these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-Ear-Plugs-8-Pack-With-Case?sku=421714

It might be cause their the cheap ones? I dont know. Are the other hearos a lot better?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
alright thanks.
And yes those things are horrible.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Glad you posted this thread. I've always used cheapo foam earplugs and I can never hear myself in the damn mix. I've been meaning to ask about good pairs for practice, gigs, and even going to concerts but it always slips my mind. Think I'll order a solid pair of hear plugs now!
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by sandyman323
yes, but they're very expensive. cant remember an exact price, but you have to go to an ear doctor to get molds made. you can get different ones to reduce the sound by different amounts and they reduce the volume evenly across the spectrum.

+1 if you have the money.

You can buy kits that you mold yourself and they work pretty well. Pretty cheap to save you from being deaf.
Quote by soul_power
Glad you posted this thread. I've always used cheapo foam earplugs and I can never hear myself in the damn mix. I've been meaning to ask about good pairs for practice, gigs, and even going to concerts but it always slips my mind. Think I'll order a solid pair of hear plugs now!

yea same here but i finally did it.

Quote by smokeysteve22
+1 if you have the money.

You can buy kits that you mold yourself and they work pretty well. Pretty cheap to save you from being deaf.

hmm alright I'll see what i can buy.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
I use Alpine PartyPlugs. They don't affect tone much and give an average noise reduction of 16dB.

Noise reduction is one thing, but the mere fact that there is SOMETHING in between your eardrums and the air around you provides a lot of hearing protection. So don't be tricked into a product that gives just a few extra dB's of noise reduction, but look at how they affect tone, do they reduce noise evenly across the frequency band? Are they comfortable?
Sorry to hijack the thread but are they any products that work for over the ear i.e. like headphones as I can't use in ear ones not that I need them yet but just in case I ever do.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv
Sorry to hijack the thread but are they any products that work for over the ear i.e. like headphones as I can't use in ear ones not that I need them yet but just in case I ever do.

There are, but I think their main field of deployment is construction sites, rather than music.
Damn, I think your man from Linkin Park usually wears headphones (I don't even really like them now) but I guess they could be acting as monitors as well.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
Damn, I think your man from Linkin Park usually wears headphones (I don't even really like them now) but I guess they could be acting as monitors as well.

I quite often see Paul Gilbert wearing ear muffs, you could check his out maybe? I know he always protects his ears since he has tinitis now..
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by N_J_B_B
I quite often see Paul Gilbert wearing ear muffs, you could check his out maybe? I know he always protects his ears since he has tinitis now..

Thanks dude.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by drewfromutah
Go to Guitar Center and buy some Hearos for like $15. Worth it.

YES! +++++++++!
they're freq attenuated, good shit, worth the money!
This is a common problem...it's just something you have to get used to. There are certain earplugs made for musicians that attenuate the sound better, but if I don't have to sing I like the foam ones that expand in your ear.

I really don't recommend playing at any considerable volume without ear protection (giggity).
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Bert_the_Bear
There are, but I think their main field of deployment is construction sites, rather than music.

no, just any isolating headphones will do if lowering volume is your only concern. decibles don't care where they come from, but frequency attenuated headphones are MUCH more expensive that their earplug counterparts, so if hearing things as they actually are, just quieter, is a concern, look into the Hearos.
Quote by GrisKy
no, just any isolating headphones will do if lowering volume is your only concern. decibles don't care where they come from, but frequency attenuated headphones are MUCH more expensive that their earplug counterparts, so if hearing things as they actually are, just quieter, is a concern, look into the Hearos.

okay thanks
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit