So I'm looking for a new guitar, don't have any money, but I'm just looking right now so I can have a goal to shoot for. I'm getting a bit tired of my Squier and I think it's time to get a something that's gona last me for the rest of my life. I don't really care about pickups since I have my Barenuckles that I will drop right in. I've tried building my dream guitar on Carvins web site and Warmoth's site, both come out to be around $1200, not including hardware.

So this is what it needs to have:

Alder body, or Mahogany body with a flame maple top(preferably) .
Sunburst( or any cool finish)
HSS set up
Standard Vintage tremolo
Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard with jumbo frets
Standard neck or wizard style neck(if possible)
11 hole pickguard(so I can drop mine in with no drilling)
Nitro finish, or poly finish(if I have to)
Simi-Gloss neck
American measurements(such as bridge width, nut width, tuner width)

Basically a balls to the wall Strat with some attitude. I really like the sound of mahogany with a flame maple top, but I hardly ever see any strats with it that aren't Custom shop Fenders, and it has to be a HSS because I have a Barenuckle Painkiller Humbucker and two Barenuckle Trilogy Suite single coils, that's a lot of money for pickups.

If ya'll can find me this dream Strat for under $1200 I'll be very grateful. If not, then I'll know what to shoot for.

And to those who ask, amp is a Valveking 112 that sounds perfectly fine, it's just the Squier's playability is slipping the older it gets, and I play anything from Blues to Metal, no particular tone but my own unique tone.

American Standard retails at $1000, Am. Special at $800, differences being the Special has Texas Special pups and the Greasebucket tone circuit and the 70's headstock- much sexier IMO.

But best of all, there's the American Select Stratocaster. It's Mahogany body, HSS stock, 22 frets, and comes with strap locks. It retails at $1300, but the ones I've seen used have ranged $750-$1000. I'd say it's your best bet, only "fault" being it only comes in the red finish.

PMEdit: Craiglooks shows one in my city at $875... I may have to hop on this <_<
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Sep 6, 2010,
ive thought about building myself a strat...well assembling one. my specs would be:

- either a carvin kit or some mexican/asian strat in white in HSS pickups
- warmoth 24 3/4 conversion 10-16 radius birdseye maple neck
- some form of quality tuners
- carvin pickups with a coil split humbucker OR soe other form of pups with coil split
- pearloid white pickguard
- copper sheliding
- carvin/wilkinson trem or the fender i i buy that
- this preamp http://store.guitarfetish.com/Classic-Mid-BoostSRV-Frequency-Expander-Board-Two-Switches_p_488.html

- and perhaps also wire the humbucker for a phase switching in some manner
- strap locks
- medium frets
- upgraded nut?
Quote by Pink Muse
American Standard retails at $1000, Am. Special at $800, differences being the Special has Texas Special pups and the Greasebucket tone circuit and the 70's headstock- much sexier IMO.

But best of all, there's the American Select Stratocaster. It's Mahogany body, HSS stock, 22 frets, and comes with strap locks. It retails at $1300, but the ones I've seen used have ranged $750-$1000. I'd say it's your best bet, only "fault" being it only comes in the red finish.

PMEdit: Craiglooks shows one in my city at $875... I may have to hop on this <_<

Yeah, I'm not to fond of the plain red color, I've thought about the special, but I really do hate that 60's style headstock, it's too big.
see if you can find a Strat + ultra. they came with some great finishes (including a flame maple top as an option)and have lace sensors as a stock item. roller nut helps to keep it in tune. i have a regular strat plus and love it.
Ok, this is what it would be from Warmoth

Body:
Model: Standard Stratocaster®
Scale: 25-1/2 inch
Orientation: Right handed
Wood: Flame Maple on Mahogany
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Humbucker, Strat®, Humbucker
Controls: None
Bridge: American Standard Strat® Tremolo
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
F-Holes: None
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Countours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Countour
Stud Install: Use inserts from bridge on order
Top Finish: Tigers Eye
Back Finish: Tobacco Burst

Neck: Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Warmoth Pro
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Brazilian Rswd
Orientation: Right Handed
Nut Width: 1 11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: 6150
Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Radius: Straight 10"
Scale: 25-1/2 in.
Fret #: 24
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ
Finish: Clear Gloss

Total price: $937.00

And I don't even know if I'll like the guitar, cause I don't really know all that much about necks.
american fender and g&l american legacy make the best feeling necks in my opinion.

If you order it from warmoth though, it will still be superb quality.

Once you switch out the neck for wizard I would stop calling it a strat, and call it strat-body guitar.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
but I really do hate that 60's style headstock, it's too big.

If you ask me, all Strats should have the big headstock; they should just make that the standard headstock.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Try the highway one hss...i have one, it's amzing. It does have the big 60's headstock however. I bought mine new for 699. Plus it is made in corona california.
Fender doesn't make one with a flame maple top anymore, so if you want a Strat then you'll have to build it yourself. Warmoth is your best bet.

If you just want a Strat shaped guitar with those features, then get a Carvin.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Sleaze Disease
If you ask me, all Strats should have the big headstock; they should just make that the standard headstock.

Nah, it kinda makes the guitar look unproportionate and gives it that 60's era hippi feel to it in my opinion.

I'm thinking of going with the Warmoth guitar since from what I'm hearing they are high quality and prolly better bang for your buck than a actual MIA Fender American Standard.

Only thing I'm worried about is the neck, I like the Fender necks, but I also like thin, but I have big hands. Not sure what size to get.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Only thing I'm worried about is the neck, I like the Fender necks, but I also like thin, but I have big hands. Not sure what size to get.

Just try out the differnt necks on as many guitars that you can. The guitar itself doesnt matter.

And seems to me you're looking at a super-strat, not a regular stratocaster
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Warmoth has fender necks.....just so you know, and even Fender says if you need a replacement neck, get it from warmoth. Or so i've read.....
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by AWACS
Just try out the differnt necks on as many guitars that you can. The guitar itself doesnt matter.

And seems to me you're looking at a super-strat, not a regular stratocaster

Sort of, I'm looking for a less bright tone, my Squier right now is a solid piece of Alder, with a Brass trem block, and the BKP's are rather bright. And I just love the way Mahogany with a flame maple top sound, I hate plain Mahogany, but with that flame maple top, it's perfect. If I could get a solid splated maple guitar that would be cool to, but too expensive.

The thing with the neck is when determining things like, couture, radius, fret size, and such, idk how to determine those things, if I could get a straight up Fender neck that would be nice, but they don't seem to list them as straight up replacements, basically they are over complicating things for me.
I vote for the American Standard for sure. It's got the Alnico V pickups which are much better than the specials, especially since you're gonna throw bareknuckles in the bridge. I'd keep at least the Alnico V neck single coil. The American Standard is available in Sienna Sunburst which is absolutely gorgeous with maple or rosewood fingerboard. The American standard also comes with hand-rolled frets and original headstock instead of the cheaper looking jumbo headstock. As soon as you see the Sienna Sunburst finish, I'm sure you'll forget about hwy1 or am special. The American standard also comes with the Fender SKB molded case, whcih the hwy1 and am special do not have. The extra couple hundred bucks are definitely worth it, for the finishes, pickups, frets, headstock, case, etc...
Quote by Arterial
Edwards Snapper?
thats what i thought of when i thought of balls to the wall strat.

Yeah, but it's got a Floyd Rose on it, I can't stand Floyd rose trems, they drive me nuts, trying to restring them, innotate them, and in general tuning them.

Looks nice though. If it didn't have a floyd, then I would consider it.