So I'm looking at getting my first dynamic mic, budget stretches to $150AUD. eBay prices, mind you.

So far I'm tossing up between the SM-57 and the Sennheiser E835. I want something that's versatile, good for vocals and mic'ing up my amp.

Advice?
I've not worked with the E835 but own the SM57.

The 57 is great for just about everything in a studio but it does tent to pop a lot with vocals so you have to use it at a 45° angle and sometimes a pop filter....but it does have a nice proximity effect that I like.
Recording Vocals your best option is a good Condenser mic (Rode NT1A if you're on a budget), performing vocals a SM58 would be best.

Recording and performing for guitar a SM57 would be best.

All my opinion but it seems to work for me and most musicians.

Overall between the 2 you suggested i'd say the SM57 by far.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Sep 7, 2010,
I was told if you need a good starting microphone then it's Shure SM-57 and I've heard people can even get great vocal sound from it so yeah, definantly check that one out. I plan to at least!
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
SM57. Its not the best mic in the world for vocals but for a $100 USD mic, it does a lot.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
SM57 would be a perfectly viable option, but if your budget can stretch to it I'd suggest a Shure Beta57A. They don't usually cost that much more on ebay than a standard 57 would, but you'll get a much more reliable performance when recording/performing vocals and they are great for micing guitar amps as well.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Get a Samson Q7 dynamic microphone. I bought mine for 89.99CAD and its AMAZING. Completely outperforms the sm57 and the sm58. Forget industry standards, this mic is cheaper AND better, no joke. Great mic, would recommend this to everybody.
Quote by Zach101
Get a Samson Q7 dynamic microphone. I bought mine for 89.99CAD and its AMAZING. Completely outperforms the sm57 and the sm58. Forget industry standards, this mic is cheaper AND better, no joke. Great mic, would recommend this to everybody.

no...

NO!

Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?