picked up two new pedals yesterday(NPD thread coming soon; We got a huge amount of rain here over the summer, and as a result my basement, which also has my sound room, got flooded, and there's nowhere else I can turn up my tube amp to get a good sound, so it's in storage currently, and I want to talk with at-home experience. I'm just about done restoring, and, thanks to some other new toys I picked up, enhancing it though, so they'll be up soon!), and realized that it's damn inconvenient to carry all these to a gig and have to either hope I brought a charged battery/a spare battery/enough adapters. So, I'm planning to build a powered pedalboard.

However there's one issue that I'm unsure on. Velcro. Like the mighty duct tape, it was designed by aliens for evil, used by man for good, and used by musicians of both races for simplicity. At first I was fairly strongly set on it, however I'm not sure if I'll always be lugging this pedalboard around, and it seems like this'd kill any traction the pedal has on non-velcro surfaces. Likewise, I can't think of many practical reasons for it other than putting the pedalboard inside a bag or a box and not having them fly around, but I could get away with duct tape for that. However that said, it seems like it's rather handy for keeping everything perfectly stationary.

tl;dr, I'm building a pedalboard and I'm not sure if I want velcro or not. Do I?

As always, any comments and willingness to read my rambling is appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
definitely velcro it
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
well velcro will let you change around your board without having to use a new roll of duct tape
Use a small amount of velcro. I find that I like to move my pedals around my board a lot, and having tons of velcro just makes moving pedals a chore. Just enough for them not to slide off is good.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Alright, so far it's pretty resolutely in favour of the velcro. Faux's tip in particular seems handy. I'm going to keep that question open now just in case a persuasive argument to the contrary comes along, but I'll probably go with it. I do have another question though, as this is my first experience with a pedalboard so I'm not quite sure.

Short-and-sweet, I'm between three power supplies, and I was hoping someone could let me know if the Gator supply I mention in the build thread hums, and if it does, whether or not the Dunlop AC Brick's 16V jacks can be switched to 8V?

Quote by necrosis1193
Short-and-sweet, I'm between three power supplies, and I was hoping someone could let me know if the Gator supply I mention in the build thread hums, and if it does, whether or not the Dunlop AC Brick's 16V jacks can be switched to 8V?

I'm not sure which Gator you're talking about, but the only one I've seen is a clone of the Dunlop DC Brick, so its basically just a daisy chain in a box.
I personally like the BBE Supacharger, if you dont need 18v. Its a clone of the Voodoo Labs PP2
The BBE supa charger is fantastic. I've been using one for about 6 months now, no issues.

Um. Are you talking about velcro under your board???

Put duct tape under your board, it'll help with sliding on slick stages. Then cover the top of the board in velcro carpet, and put a small amount of industrial strength velcro under your pedals.

I've seen people use bike chains the way john does it. It works really well, and you don't goo up the underside of pedals, but I move stuff on and off my board to often for that to be practical.
NO WAY MAN DON'T DO IT

Velcro will dampen your tone, and suck your bass and treble. Same thing with straps, which is why I use neither.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
NO WAY MAN DON'T DO IT

Velcro will dampen your tone, and suck your bass and treble. Same thing with straps, which is why I use neither.

This man speaks the truth.
I used velcro, and now all I have is mid frequencies.
Then, if I want to scoop the mids, I don't even make any sound!

In all seriousness:
Velcro. It's good. I prefer the really wide stuff.
What I have on my board is either 3" or 3.5"
Make sure to buy the expensive stuff though. The cheap stuff leaves residue on your pedals after you take it off.
..I was watching my death.
i just build a new powered pedalboard today. i found something new as opposed to velcroing.

i took a piece of 1/2" corner and wrapped around the circumference of the pedal, notching where needed and screwed the corner to the board and set the pedals in.

i plan to make a top piece with fabric that will fit over the board and that will velcro to the bottom to keep the pedals dry during transport, and to hold them in place at all angles.

it is working great so far, although since i finished it toinght i haven't had the chance to gig with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by forsaknazrael
I use bike chain. I secure it to the screws of the pedal, and screw it into the wood, which is covered by carpet.

Personally, I'd rather use 3M Dual Lock than Velcro, though.

Bike chain? Mind providing some images, I can't see how that'd work in my head...

Quote by littlephil
I'm not sure which Gator you're talking about, but the only one I've seen is a clone of the Dunlop DC Brick, so its basically just a daisy chain in a box.
I personally like the BBE Supacharger, if you dont need 18v. Its a clone of the Voodoo Labs PP2

Hmm...well, I can't find the BBE from any decent-looking US dealers, but I like what I see of it. And this is the only Gator power brick I can find, but maybe the stock's different in Australia, you never know;

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GBus8US-Pedal-Board-Power-Supply?sku=546042

Quote by denied
The BBE supa charger is fantastic. I've been using one for about 6 months now, no issues.

Um. Are you talking about velcro under your board???

Put duct tape under your board, it'll help with sliding on slick stages. Then cover the top of the board in velcro carpet, and put a small amount of industrial strength velcro under your pedals.

I've seen people use bike chains the way john does it. It works really well, and you don't goo up the underside of pedals, but I move stuff on and off my board to often for that to be practical.

Again, I'm not really sure what you mean by bike chains. The only method that I can see in my head would make any sort of adjustments impossible. It's 4 AM though, and I'm only up because I wanted to watch an 80's cult classic comedy, so I'm tired as hell, maybe I'm missing something. And no, I mean velcro on top of it. And where could I pick up the velcro? I know a lot of pedalboards include a few strips, but I'm not sure where to buy my own velcro separately.

Quote by Raijouta
NO WAY MAN DON'T DO IT

I know what you mean man; I used to use knobs on my pots. Took them off out of boredom, and it was like a new guitar! Never going back.

Quote by timbit2006
This man speaks the truth.
I used velcro, and now all I have is mid frequencies.
Then, if I want to scoop the mids, I don't even make any sound!

In all seriousness:
Velcro. It's good. I prefer the really wide stuff.
What I have on my board is either 3" or 3.5"
Make sure to buy the expensive stuff though. The cheap stuff leaves residue on your pedals after you take it off.

Hmm...again, where can I pick some of this stuff up? The only place around here I can think of would be Home Depot, and I'm not positive they have it.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i just build a new powered pedalboard today. i found something new as opposed to velcroing.

i took a piece of 1/2" corner and wrapped around the circumference of the pedal, notching where needed and screwed the corner to the board and set the pedals in.

i plan to make a top piece with fabric that will fit over the board and that will velcro to the bottom to keep the pedals dry during transport, and to hold them in place at all angles.

it is working great so far, although since i finished it toinght i haven't had the chance to gig with it.

...Corner of what? Again, 4 AM, likely missing something, but I'm confused. And let me know how it holds up; It'd be good to get an impression from somebody.

Quote by necrosis1193
Bike chain? Mind providing some images, I can't see how that'd work in my head...

Hmm...well, I can't find the BBE from any decent-looking US dealers, but I like what I see of it. And this is the only Gator power brick I can find, but maybe the stock's different in Australia, you never know;

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GBus8US-Pedal-Board-Power-Supply?sku=546042

Again, I'm not really sure what you mean by bike chains. The only method that I can see in my head would make any sort of adjustments impossible. It's 4 AM though, and I'm only up because I wanted to watch an 80's cult classic comedy, so I'm tired as hell, maybe I'm missing something. And no, I mean velcro on top of it. And where could I pick up the velcro? I know a lot of pedalboards include a few strips, but I'm not sure where to buy my own velcro separately.

I know what you mean man; I used to use knobs on my pots. Took them off out of boredom, and it was like a new guitar! Never going back.

Hmm...again, where can I pick some of this stuff up? The only place around here I can think of would be Home Depot, and I'm not positive they have it.

...Corner of what? Again, 4 AM, likely missing something, but I'm confused. And let me know how it holds up; It'd be good to get an impression from somebody.

aluminum drywall corner, or FRP corner. home depot. cut it and bend it and screw it down, and the pedals wont move a milimeter.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by necrosis1193

Thats the one. Its the same as a DC Brick, which isn't that great really.
I got mine at Home Depot.
It's in a box. I wish they had it in rolls, that you cut yourself... But they dont. I bought the cut-your own roll stuff at a fabric store a while ago, but my parents stole it from my room and used it...
Making me have to spend 20 bukcs on velcro...
..I was watching my death.
get a roll of the best velcro you can afford. You cover the board with one side of the velcro and your pedals with the other side.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

when people say velcro they don't necessarily mean the brand, you don't say can you hand me a puffs tissue, you say can you hand me a kleenex
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Thanks for the continued replies guys. Sounds like velcro from home depot will do fine...?

Quote by trashedlostfdup
aluminum drywall corner, or FRP corner. home depot. cut it and bend it and screw it down, and the pedals wont move a milimeter.

So basically you measure the pedal's size, then put a piece of that at each corner to hold is steady?

Quote by littlephil
Thats the one. Its the same as a DC Brick, which isn't that great really.

Damn. Any recommendations other than the elusive BBE unit then? The only other one that looks good to me with 8 jacks and that isn't pricey for me is the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+, and even then it's borderline with the price, so I'd prefer something cheaper if that won't screw with the sound and/or hum/buzz.

Quote by forsaknazrael
You break the bike chain off into individual links. Unscrew a couple of the the screws on the pedal, and take one link and put it under the screws, and then fasten it down, using the screw. now you can hold it down by screwing down the bike chain.

So basically screw them to the bike chain, with the links under the pedalbaord? Again, I've never heard of someone doing this before, do you have any photos?

i think he's saying, you use the part with the 2 holes.

you screw the pedal screw through one hole and
secure to board, by screwing through the second hole.

is that it? because i'm curious.

and i use velcro or zip ties.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hmm...so you basically bolt them to the board? That makes sense to me. How much is a bike chain?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 7, 2010,
I don't think I'll end up doing that. Suppose I'll see whether velcro or a chain are cheaper though. Thanks for the alternate idea.

Any suggestions on the power supply?

I just use a 1spot, works just fine for me
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Hmm...and it doesn't add hum? That's my main concern; Some of my power supplies add an ungodly bit of white noise to my signal, and I want to be able to control my white noise, not have it there with my power source.

Quote by necrosis1193
I don't think I'll end up doing that. Suppose I'll see whether velcro or a chain are cheaper though. Thanks for the alternate idea.

Any suggestions on the power supply?

From what I've looked at the Voodoo Labs and BBE are the best options. I am myself trying to get the BBE here in the U.S. I see them go for 86 bucks at this online store, but their completely out of stock.

A few people have recommended me to this site:

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

It's very informative. They've also told me to go with isolated outputs and a toroidal transformer for the least amount of noise.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...and it doesn't add hum? That's my main concern; Some of my power supplies add an ungodly bit of white noise to my signal, and I want to be able to control my white noise, not have it there with my power source.

it doesn't hum at all.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by acdclandon
From what I've looked at the Voodoo Labs and BBE are the best options. I am myself trying to get the BBE here in the U.S. I see them go for 86 bucks at this online store, but their completely out of stock.

A few people have recommended me to this site:

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

It's very informative. They've also told me to go with isolated outputs and a toroidal transformer for the least amount of noise.

I'll have to take a look into this site tomorrow. I like what I see though.

Quote by lbj273
it doesn't hum at all.

Hmm...well, it's only $35 for the combo set, if I don't like it I can probably sell it for $20 and get most of my money back.

i used the 1spot for my pedals and it worked great. i never noticed any difference in noise with or without my effects
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
the one spot adds noise when u run fx loop pedals along with in-amp pedals. I learnt that the hard way. The voodoo labs one is always a good choice, t-rex also have some good ones, and i think they might be cheaper than the voodoo's.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
If you decide to go the velcro route, 3M Dual Lock is the king of all velcro products.

Bike chain, a la John, is also a great idea. If you have bike chain lying around, of course.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by julzius
the one spot adds noise when u run fx loop pedals along with in-amp pedals. I learnt that the hard way. The voodoo labs one is always a good choice, t-rex also have some good ones, and i think they might be cheaper than the voodoo's.

Toodles!

Not true at all, I run my fx loop pedals in before amp pedals off the same chain and I get no noise.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
Not true at all, I run my fx loop pedals in before amp pedals off the same chain and I get no noise.

well i got some real nasty noise when i did that. but i wasn't using the one spot, i was using Boss's version of it
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
that might be why, the 1spot is built to daisy chain, most wall wart power supplies are not
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020