I'm attempting to make a song , in D Standard tuning, and have a fairly solid chord progression. I just need help with the last chord. It follows a minor-major-minor pattern (sorry, I don't know what its actually called).

What I have is:

G minor, Bb major, D minor, _____

I was thinking of either a F major chord, or a C Major. I'm not good with theory, and in standard tuning I'm picking between a G major shape and a D major shape. I know they are complimentary chords, or at least the sound "nice" together, so I'm having a little bit of a hard time choosing between them.

Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
See, but I don't think it flows all that great back into my opening chord of A minor. I'll try it.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
A minor is the opening chord? In that case E or E7 will be your friend.
Ok, I'm sorry. The shape is A minor, but I'm playing in D standard, two half steps below standard tuning, so the opening chord is G minor. I kinda have it sorted out anyways. I'm only going to use 3 chords, and I'm going to use C minor for something like a transition chord, and that will go back into G minor.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Ok, I'm sorry. The shape is A minor, but I'm playing in D standard, two half steps below standard tuning, so the opening chord is G minor. I kinda have it sorted out anyways. I'm only going to use 3 chords, and I'm going to use C minor for something like a transition chord, and that will go back into G minor.

Bb Cm Dm Eb F Gm Ab

= Key of Bb vi I iii

Try one of those chords - I even made a bVII to have use of the 7th over the viio

Best,

Sean
So, what would Eb be in D standard tuning? Would that be an F# chord shape in standard?

EDIT: Derp, I'm dumb. It'd be an F major.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Sep 7, 2010,
Screw the tuning...just go by the chord names and post the whole progression...preferably in a measure form.

This is what I'd try based on the info you gave...

||: Gm | Bb | Dm | D7 :||

or

||: Gm | Bb | Dm D7 :||

You'll find that chord duration makes a difference and you'll see that what comes after the chord you're trying to find has a lot to do with the chord you're looking for.
Quote by pwrmax
Just use a V7 chord in whatever you you're in.

I agree. It's nothing fancy, but it always works. If you want it to be more interesting play around with voicings. You could also try borrowing the IV from the major, that would be an interesting twist on a plagal cadence.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
In my song, I have 4 changes to the chord, for each chord. I think I'm going with an Fmaj7.

My full progression is:

||Gm Gsus2 Gm7 Gm | Bb Bb7* Bb7** Bb | Dm Dm7 Dm9 Dm | Ebmaj7 Ebmaj7b5 Ebmaj9#11(no 5th) Ebmaj7 ||

*Bb7 | **Bb7
0 | 3
1 | 1
0 | 0
2 | 2
3 | 3
x | x

I hope this makes sense.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Any particular reason you're running through multiple forms of each chord? That's not particularly orthodox.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Any particular reason you're running through multiple forms of each chord? That's not particularly orthodox.

I'm attempting to be like Dallas Green and have a melody going while playing the chords. I'm just moving a finger. Usually going 1st fret - open - 3rd fret - 1st fret.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Well this helps for sure...

||Gm | Bb | Dm | Ebmaj7 ||

So, I assume you followed gramps suggestion of the Eb, so you're done looking for the missing chord? Grreat!

Try something just for learning purpose...try playing the V7 of each next chord before you move to the next chord, ala...

||: Gm F7 | Bb A7 | Dm Bb7 | Ebmaj7 D7 :|| and make sure you actually repeat for the turnaround

You can play this a few ways, either place those dom7 chords on beat 4 of their measure or on beat 3 of their measure...or alternate and mix them up too.

Playing the V7 before the chord is a nice way to strengthen the new chord.

This is why most people where so quick to pull D7 out of the air as an answer for the move to Gm.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Sep 7, 2010,
Wow, that sounds pretty sweet. I'm not sure if I'm right here transposing those chords up 2 half steps in order to get those chords, as im in D. The Gm becomes an Am, and the F7 becomes G7, etc. I'm using this guy: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/transposer.php
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Transposed to the form would be...

||: Am G7 | C B7 | Em C7 | Fmaj7 E7 :||

When ever you come to the end of the measure you can always (pretty much always) use the V7 of the next chord to get to the next chord. This works with chords that are all related to the same Key or chords that aren't in the Key.

You can also create lines thinking this way while the band/rhythm plays the straight chords. It adds whats called "forward motion" to your lines and creates meaningful tension and solid resolution.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Sep 7, 2010,
Awesome. Thanks guys, I now have all chords. Now just to fit it all together with the lyrics.

Stupid question, but is there any set way to make a bridge?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Just do anything even remotely contrasting. It should be the most different part of the song.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Alright. So maybe like an F major and C major?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Another one you might want to try is Cm. The chords you've given are obviously centered around Gm but you have yet to specify a 6th so the Eb in the Cm is still available to you without shaking up the harmony.
So that would be the Bm shape?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Awesome. Thanks guys, I now have all chords. Now just to fit it all together with the lyrics.

Stupid question, but is there any set way to make a bridge?

Relative major is good, modulating to V as I is good as well. Those are two common ones, there are a few ones that are more interesting...Neopolitan as V, It6 as V7, etc.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
So Mike, if I chose an F chord for the bridge I'd play... what?

Also, I'm changing up the main chords, the Gm, Bb, etc, and matching them to what I'd want to sing, just wondering if this alright.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
You would play C7 before moving to F.

Anytime you have melody and have to change your chord progression to support, you're on the right track...melody rules. You can always go back to the old progression when it come time for the solo or something to make it still sound like the song but with a little change up.
Ok, what do you mean by melody rules? Follow the melody with the chords? And no solo for this song, more folky, at least so far. My buddy is thinking of doing some prog stuff to it.

Lyrics are here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359535
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Ok, what do you mean by melody rules? Follow the melody with the chords? And no solo for this song, more folky, at least so far. My buddy is thinking of doing some prog stuff to it.

Lyrics are here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359535

When you said "I'm changing up the main chords, the Gm, Bb, etc, and matching them to what I'd want to sing" I thought you meant because you were singing a melody that you had to change the progression to fit better. This process is normal as the melody and rhythm are the strongest parts of a song, with melody being the determining factor...that is if you have a great melody. Some people spend days, weeks, years perfecting the chord structure under their melody.

If it's the lyrics you were talking about that's find too. Just decide where the rhythm is still strong when writing a song under lyrics. Sometimes the lyrics can hinder the rhythm flow of a song when trying to make everything fit under them. But sometimes the lyrics can push you into cool and different rhythms that give your songs and extra zing or something fresh.

All in all it sounds like you are on the right track. And always follow your own instincts as that's what will make the song yours. And the more you write, experiment, and learn how to use all of these together, you'll get better and quicker at it and feel confident in the way you mold things for yourself.
Well. what I meant with the melody is that with like a C shape, I'd play 1st fret B, then open B, then 3rd fret B, to follow with what I'm singing. I'm trying to match my voice with the changed string.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Sep 9, 2010,