View poll results: Which one?
Songwriting
17 68%
Singing
4 16%
I don't care
4 16%
Voters: 25.
When it comes to singer-songwriters like Eels, Bon Iver, City and Colour, and other artists like that, do you think the person's singing abilities or songwriting abilities are more important?
Last edited by kornfire15 at Sep 7, 2010,
I find that when a really good singer sings a song that has corny and/or shitty lyrics, it comes across as a corny/shitty song.

However, a shitty singer who sings a song with great lyrics can come across as soulful and passionate...
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Quote by keithmoon15
I find that when a really good singer sings a song that has corny and/or shitty lyrics, it comes across as a corny/shitty song.

However, a shitty singer who sings a song with great lyrics can come across as soulful and passionate...

what this guy said. and id like a talented musician and a good songwriter.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
Quote by keithmoon15

I don't really agree with the former statement. I've looked at lyrics before having listened to some songs by bands with pretty decent singers, and sometimes I think how corny and cheesy those lyrics are. Then when I go to listen to the song, the cheese isn't there.
songwriting is most important. Look at Lou Reed. He can't sing, but he write great songs, and thats why he's so great
I write very well, but can't sing worth shit........for now, at least. I am working on it. To me, songwriting is more important than having a perfect voice. You can still create incredible emotion and passion in a voice that goes out of key occasionally or something.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by gatechballer
I write very well, but can't sing worth shit........for now, at least. I am working on it. To me, songwriting is more important than having a perfect voice. You can still create incredible emotion and passion in a voice that goes out of key occasionally or something.

Exactly, that's what Auto-Tune is for
since both are important i did i dont care as a compomise
song writing is far more important. anyone with enough effort(and lessons if need be) can sing. not everyone can put the soul into a song and make a simple scale some alive, ya know.
If you can't sing, I'm not gonna listen to your music so singing. But I'm also not gonna listen to your music if the lyrics are completely sh*t though. As long as the lyrics are half decent but you can sing well, then its all good although its nice to have both.
you can always work on your voice though. i mean both would be ideal but id rather be a better writer than singer anyday
This thread is weird.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I'd rather hear decent lyrics from a guy with a four-note range than some juvenile la-dee-dah rhyming from an amazing singer. It's not like singing is that hard. I mean, being somewhere close to on-key is always good, but as long as you can carry a simple melody you can sing.
I just wanna hear someone with some passion, in whatever it is that they do.
I'm an asshole.