Well...I FINALLY got a job where I can afford to buy gear and not starve to death at the same time yesterday!

Now I can start buying my gear! That Epi LP 100 and the Peavey Vypyr aren't doing it for me anymore. I want a better guitar and a better amp. The guitar decision has been made, so now it's on to the amp!

In a previous thread, I finally decided on an Egnater Tweaker after pitting it against the HT-5 and the Orange TT. The HT-5 has "TEH DIODEZ" and the TT just wasn't versatile enough. However...the Tweaker is lacking something that I just realized I need...two channels.

Since my budget has SLIGHTLY increased...I'm looking at the HT-20.

My main question is...does the HT-20 suffer from the same flaw that the HT-5 suffers from...lack of low end and lackluster response? I could give less of a shit if it has diode clipping in its signal path, but if it sacrifices things like low end then I'll probably look somewhere else.

Basically...is the HT-20 a lot better than the HT-5? I heard it has a more Fender-ish clean channel. I am sort of turned off by any single channel amp...and it seems like it could be my best bet in the low price, low wattage tube amp area.

What do you guys think?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 7, 2010,
What style of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Doesn't affect whether the HT-20 has better cleans/overdrive than the HT-5 but...mostly stuff like Tool, A Perfect Circle, most grunge, alt rock, and thrash metal. I also like RHCP and Hendrix type cleans.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
For the amp, I'm thinking around $500-$700. I MAY be able to go slightly higher but erm...probably not.

1. I NEED two channels.

2. Need a good clean for stuff like RHCP and Hendrix

3. Need a good overdrive for Tool/APC/Grunge/Thrash Metal

4. need an FX loop.

5. Sounds good at low volumes

I know it probably doesn't exist, but the HT-20 looked to come close. With an EQ pedal and effects it seems like it might be able to nail most of those tones from what I've heard so far.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
egnater tweaker? orange tiny terror? jet city 20watter?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
egnater tweaker? orange tiny terror? jet city 20watter?
Just said I decided against the Tweaker and the Tiny Terror...and none of those have 2 channels...so...
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I'm thinking used JSX or a 333XL
Do you think the JSX sounds good at low volumes? it's like...what...120 watts? (off the top of my head)
Seems like anything over 50-100 watts is just overkill. You can PA a 20 watt amp in an arena or on stage. Don't see the need.

A 30 watt amp is loud enough to get your neighbors to call the cops...from your basement.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Yep it sounds fine at low volumes and the combo is 60 watts afaik

Quote by Ayses

Seems like anything over 50-100 watts is just overkill. You can PA a 20 watt amp in an arena or on stage. Don't see the need.

A 30 watt amp is loud enough to get your neighbors to call the cops...from your basement.

They come equipped with this nifty little device called a volume knob
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
For the amp, I'm thinking around $500-$700. I MAY be able to go slightly higher but erm...probably not.

1. I NEED two channels.

2. Need a good clean for stuff like RHCP and Hendrix

3. Need a good overdrive for Tool/APC/Grunge/Thrash Metal

4. need an FX loop.

5. Sounds good at low volumes

I know it probably doesn't exist, but the HT-20 looked to come close. With an EQ pedal and effects it seems like it might be able to nail most of those tones from what I've heard so far.

both hendrix and john frusciante of RHCP use british cleans. you dont want fender-y.

i say tweaker with a boost for the dirt. think OCD or TS.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Are you looking at combo or head and cab?
If it's a long song, it's a long song.
^^^ I know that...but from what I've experienced, wattage is directly proportional to how bad a tube amp sounds at low volumes. The higher the wattage, the worse the low volume play is.

And there's no point in keeping my amp at .5 volume all the time. Why not just get one with a reasonable wattage?

Also the only JSX combo I can find is a 212 combo and it's 120 watts. I don't need 120 watts. Pretty much just paying for extra wattage at that point.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Skybone
Are you looking at combo or head and cab?
Either. Unless the combos speakers suck ass...then a head/cab.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
Do you think the JSX sounds good at low volumes? it's like...what...120 watts? (off the top of my head)

You can't bring t3h br00tz with a 30w amp bro. Most of them just aren't voiced right for it, not to mention the fact that you need the headroom to avoid power tube distortion.

And as for high wattage amps sounding bad at low volumes, that varies from amp to amp. A Mesa Mark V is going to sound a hell of alot better at bedroom volume than a Marshall JCM 800, for instance.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
^^^ I know that...but from what I've experienced, wattage is directly proportional to how bad a tube amp sounds at low volumes. The higher the wattage, the worse the low volume play is.

And there's no point in keeping my amp at .5 volume all the time. Why not just get one with a reasonable wattage?

Also the only JSX combo I can find is a 212 combo and it's 120 watts. I don't need 120 watts. Pretty much just paying for extra wattage at that point.

I've been playing for 13 years and i've never experienced this

Maybe if you want power tube saturation?
Heh I dunno. Maybe I'm just crazy.
But isn't the general consensus is that Tube amps sound better cranked.

Thanks for all the help so far, btw. Is the JSX more of a british-voiced amp for the overdrive would you say?
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Raijouta
You can't bring t3h br00tz with a 30w amp bro. Most of them just aren't voiced right for it, not to mention the fact that you need the headroom to avoid power tube distortion.

And as for high wattage amps sounding bad at low volumes, that varies from amp to amp. A Mesa Mark V is going to sound a hell of alot better at bedroom volume than a Marshall JCM 800, for instance.

i completely disagree.

orange dual terror+ boost = brootalz

JCA 20 + boost = brootalz

ENGL has a low watter that can bring the brootz.

hell, i have ever heard the tweaker with a boost do decent for the brootz on the AC setting.

i own three of those amps, and they can do the brootz, especally the dual terror. they may do other things better, but they can do it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i completely disagree.

orange dual terror+ boost = brootalz

JCA 20 + boost = brootalz

ENGL has a low watter that can bring the brootz.

hell, i have ever heard the tweaker with a boost do decent for the brootz on the AC setting.

i own three of those amps, and they can do the brootz, especally the dual terror. they may do other things better, but they can do it.

Yes, you can do t3h br00tz with a 30w amp but you can't do it quite like a hundred watt behemoth can. That, and you've only named three amps, whereas there are dozens and dozens of 100w heads that are capable of it. I'd also like to note that while those amps have the gain, they just won't have the oomph or sheer bass response of 100w, which is due to a number of things:

- Transformer size
- Sound pressure
- Tightness of sound
- Headroom

etc.

Sure they can all do metal, but they're going to flub out at some point in a band setting compared to 100w, simply because the headroom is not there. The louder a low wattage amp gets, the closer it gets to power tube distortion, which is not ideal for more modern applications.

That's not to say a 30w amp can't do stoner metal and doom, but again, you run into the problem of sheer sound pressure. A 100w amp will simply be louder than a 30w amp and therefore provide more in ways a 30w amp can't.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
^ Hmm...I guess that makes sense. Never really heard it before, but I'm no amp expert. Thanks!

Hmm...I dunno. I guess I could just get the tweaker and use a boost to do heavier stuff unless my budget increases. That is...if there isn't still a better option.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
You could check out a Krank Rev Jr. I've had both a pro and standard models and they both have awesome drive and suprisingly good cleans(which became even better when I put some Tung-Sol 5881s in the power section). I'd say at the very least you should check it out and try not to be turned off by the Krank ethos.

The Standard and the Pro are voiced a bit differentely so one might be more suited towards your style better but both cover your stated needs.
sorry to hear it's not working out for you.

if i could change one thing on the amp it would be making the clean/hot footswitchable.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 7, 2010,
Agh...I hate how all my local stores only sell either complete shit solid state amps or $2000+ amps. Can't try out anything interesting.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Hey man from what I've read it looks like your after something like the Baron Snott Watt i'm getting. I haven't gotten it yet but the videos are great sounding he's tweaked it a bit since and apparently there is a bit more bass than the video shows.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357088

$650 shipped for me. It could be different for you, if you are interested click on the link in my sig and contact him.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Ayses

But isn't the general consensus is that Tube amps sound better cranked.

Just because tubes sound better cranked doesn't mean that they sound like shit at low volumes. Be wary of assumptions like that.

Besides, it's better to have watts and not need them than to have not enough and need them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X