Gave it a shot several years ago, but I was much younger, didn't have patience and gave it up rather easily. Now i'm giving it a shot and still having trouble, but i'm willing to rough it out.

so i'm trying the basic 3 string sweep:
e|-----------12H15P12----------------12H15P12--------|
b|--------13----------13----------13----------13-----|
g|--12H14----------------14P12H14----------------14~~|
d|---------------------------------------------------|
a|---------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------|

and i'm having a few problems. I want to clean it up. I'm not playing it terribly sloppy, but when I go from the g string to the b I can't transition without having the g string ring out during my sweep. This seems to happen even at slower speeds. I also sometimes bump other strings in my attempt to get to the string in time with my other hand.

Also, every once in a while I have to take a break because my hand starts cramping up around the outer crease of my palm. Is this normal?

How long did it take you to learn sweeping, cleanly I mean? I've been practicing for a few hours everyday now and even though I see progress, it's not nearly as much as I'd expect/want and i'm starting to get frustrated with myself. I usually pick up other guitar techniques rather fast. This is the first thing that's ever really slowed my progress.

I may be recording my band's CD soon and our other guitarist who did the sweeping quit, so i'm trying to man up and be able to do it by the time we go into the studio.
well im practicing sweeps as well mostly to improve and stuff but when i was first learning them it really helped to slow way down like WAY down.Also I learned and practice on my practice guitar which is an acoustic one not sure if that helped any but i find it when i learn something on an acoustic its much easier on an electric

edit:forgot also be real looselike and not tense you cant be tense or else you get the pains youre getting
one more thing when you remove your finger off of the string be careful you dont flick it it causes it to ring out i had that technique problem and it annoyed me to no end until i slowed way down to fix it
Last edited by supersac at Sep 7, 2010,
You could change it up a bit. When you go from g to a on the g string, try sliding instead of hammering on. That adds a bit fluidity to your playing and it should help you with the transition.
I'll definitely give these a shot. I've also been practicing on a clean channel, so I can hear every mistake, hoping to have it sound godly by the time I get it down and slap some raunchy distortion on top of it. haha.

What i'm really curious about is a question that has yet to be answered.
How long did it take you to learn sweeping, cleanly I mean? What's the average learning curve?

Also, does the gauge of the string help or impede? I'm playing on 10's right now, but I'll be changing them out for 12's pretty soon. Do plectrums also play a crucial role? I'm playing a 0.73mm USA Nylon Dunlop pic, if that counts for anything.
Quote by metalfanatic
I'll definitely give these a shot. I've also been practicing on a clean channel, so I can hear every mistake, hoping to have it sound godly by the time I get it down and slap some raunchy distortion on top of it. haha.

What i'm really curious about is a question that has yet to be answered.
How long did it take you to learn sweeping, cleanly I mean? What's the average learning curve?

Also, does the gauge of the string help or impede? I'm playing on 10's right now, but I'll be changing them out for 12's pretty soon. Do plectrums also play a crucial role? I'm playing a 0.73mm USA Nylon Dunlop pic, if that counts for anything.

Good job mate. Once you start getting better at sweeping, put the gain up to max, so you learn to mute the crap out of the strings!

Hm.. It depends.. It takes a while my friend.. I could get down a couple of 5 string and 6 string sweeps somewhat cleanly, with about 2 weeks of heavy, heavy practice.. :/.. But it differs with everyone imo..

Don't rush it! I just tried sweeping with a generic nylon pick (0.81mm) and its not too different to my Jazz III's. I made a silly decision on putting elixir 12-55's on my ibanez, and i can sweep fine on it :3 But yes, i do think sweeping on lighter strings is easier.

Good luck!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
also a lower action might help

im pretty skilled when it comes to guitar but i never practiced sweeps much... i just didnt care..
especialyl for seep taps.. but now everybody's bitching about me that a particular person is better then me jst cause i cant sweep tap.. well i can but it's kinda sloppy... besides my guitar has got 21 frets so it's not much of use to sweep tap there haha
still im practicing sweeps and d like to have some vids recommended or riffs to try out.. liek something that sounds cool not just plain exercises you know
One thing I'd advise against is practicing on the clean channel. If anything it masks your mistakes - practice sweeps with distortion on, that way you'll hear every mistake you make amplified.

I had a problem with the G string as well, and you have to do 2 things:
1. Don't roll your fingers, just lift them off the strings
2. Mute the strings you're not playing with your picking hand

Instead of starting with the sweep you're trying to do, go back to even more basic things.
Try playing this:

--14---------14--
-----15---15----
--------16-----

This is a pretty basic shape. It's just to get you used to sweeping with your picking hand and lifting your fingers on time. Once you can play it (doesn't have to be at 2000bpm), start playing this:

--14h19p14---------14h19p14--
--------------15---15---------
------------------16----------

Again, practice and practice on the distorted channel until it sounds good.

After that, start playing minor and major arps and once you get the hang of sweeping 3 strings, learning how to do 5 or 6 string sweeps is piece of cake.