Page 1 of 2
...For markets to sort of psychologically coerce or manipulate people into buying stuff they originally didn't want or need?

Like how there's millions of things stores do to get people to buy as much as possible, ranging from the music they play, the layout of the store and even the color of the tags. And for plenty of those reasons people often go in and leave buying way more than they planned to.

Just some examples of things stores do; I remember reading a while back Wal-Mart uses blue because studies show it relaxes people and makes them want to stay in the store. Often times with the parking lots inclining upward to the store, and the air conditioning being strong at the door, people get a sensation that they're sort of on top of a mountain, figuratively. And the tags in stores are generally yellow or orange, with bold letters because studies show those colors tend to increase heartbeat. There's just tons of little things like that stores use to get people to buy more. Plus I've heard because being eco-friendly is in, many companies don't really do shit to help but do something like change their logo to green to give that impression.
The only places that really get me buying too much bullshit are eBay and the liquor store.
I don't see why this would be wrong. You want your product to sell, you're going to do what you can to sell it.
Quote by Korosu
I don't see why this would be wrong. You want your product to sell, you're going to do what you can to sell it.

Pretty much this.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I think it's pretty immaterial if it's right or wrong. They do it, it isn't very nice and there's no concrete way of stopping them.
It's just another product of our profit driven society.

EDIT:It's similar to a salesman using his mannerisms to try and rope you into buying whatever he's selling.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at Sep 7, 2010,
I don't know, I really don't like shopping and most people find that weird for a girl. I usually just go in the store and get what I need.
A lot of people are just shopaholics and don't really care what they buy as long as they get the quick fix of buying something. For those types of people they feel a "high" from buying things. I don't get it
STಠ_ಠ
they are just selling a product. its up to you to evaluate if you really need it.

sounds like you should watch the show 'Mad Men' TS.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Sure, it's immoral. But pretty much everything people do is immoral in some way or another.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
The colours mcdonalds uses apparently make you hungry. Go figure.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Ultimately it is you who makes the final decision about purchasing anything. If you are not mentally capable of controlling yourself in situations that involve a purchase, then have a guardian nearby to help you get through the store.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by ##_Guitar-newb
The colours mcdonalds uses apparently make you hungry. Go figure.

Go look at most fast food logos. All of them have red in them, and most have yellow. If you look at department stores, their logos are all red. Red is an exciting color and can help make you impulsive, and yellow apparently makes you hungry. I learned some of that shit in a graphic design class.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Zaphikh
Ultimately it is you who makes the final decision about purchasing anything. If you are not mentally capable of controlling yourself in situations that involve a purchase, then have a guardian nearby to help you get through the store.

What I find to be irresponsible is that literally everyone is subjected to advertisements. When you take a society and show them something, surely some people will make it to the checkout line before realizing they don't need bluetooth activated dildos.
Quote by captaincrunk
What I find to be irresponsible is that literally everyone is subjected to advertisements.

This sentence makes no sense.
When you take a society and show them something, surely some people will make it to the checkout line before realizing they don't need bluetooth activated dildos.

And what do you suggest should be done? Arrest and shut down businesses for selling things that are not necessary for survival?
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by Zaphikh
This sentence makes no sense.

It does to me... Maybe it's because I wrote it. I don't know.
Quote by Zaphikh

And what do you suggest should be done? Arrest and shut down businesses for selling things that are not necessary for survival?

Limit advertising, especially to children. Young children actually don't know the difference between commercials and the shows.
If they want to make their store seem like some sort of heavenly mountaintop, let them

just feel sorry for the employees there -.-
You think that's bad, take a look at the gambling industry.
Quote by rgrockr
and yellow apparently makes you hungry. I learned some of that shit in a graphic design class.

Every argument I've ever had on this forum now makes complete sense.
UG needs to change their font lol.
lol guitar
Last edited by Serpentarius at Sep 7, 2010,
Has anyone seen The Century of the Self? It's about how advertisers have recently used Freudian psychology to turn advertising from a functional, promotional thing to something manipulative and underhanded.

And yes, I think it's wrong.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
whatever works for them, I'd rather buy a chair from a Wal-mart on a mountain top and pay a bit fancy of a price than get a stained crappy chair from a place with no reputation or attempt to sell.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by captaincrunk
The word is consumerism.

Well said, Mr. Crunk.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
There's nothing wrong with it. Just be smarter than they are.

Me, personally, I go into Val-de-Mart planning on buying certain things, I plow my ass through Maternity or wherever I figure customers are the weakest, knocking down pregnant ladies and crippled people, then I grab my shit and head for the check-out.

You gotta plow through the middle, man, and go through the stuff you just absolutely don't care about, like fat lady clothes.

Not gonna buy that shit...
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

The more expensive items are always at the average height of a person for that reason too. To be directly in eye line at all times.
Quote by Korosu
Sucks for you if you're susceptible to simple mind tricks.

You're just as susceptible. Don't kid yourself into thinking you're above the human condition.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by MakinLattes
innit.

These are not the vegetables you're looking for.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']The only places that really get me buying too much bullshit are eBay and the liquor store.
Yeah...my financial weak spot is buying cds from eBay/record stores, s/h books and lots of beer. All these fancy new phones, fashions & gizmos bore me.
Quote by captaincrunk
And before any advertisements are thrown at you. Oh wait...

Well if you're that weak to the power of suggestion then its your fault.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']The only places that really get me buying too much bullshit are eBay and the liquor store.
+1

On a serious note, I don't what TS described is morally wrong per say.
You want your product to sell, you pretty much HAVE to do that sort of thing.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Sep 7, 2010,
Let the products sell themselves! Fuck advertising, commercial psychology! Psychological methods to sell should be destroyed!
Seems to work wonders for music so...
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Mudmen190
Advertising is a shithole. All I have to say

Rather difficult for people to make a living without it. Putting up a poster for, say, an electrician's business is advertising. It would be pretty tough for an electrician to make a living if they weren't allowed to tell anyone about their job and skills. What if you wanted to sell a guitar but couldn't advertise it? Pretty bloody tricky.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2