Hey UG'ers,

As the thread title says, I'm torn between 3 basses that I seem to love equally. To make matters worse they all cost the same too and all the reviews I have read on them are mostly positive.

The basses are the following:

ESP Ltd EC104
Squier Standard Jazz Bass
and
Squier Standard P-Bass Special

I hope you guys can help me decide on which to bass to upgrade to. Just say which bass you think I should get and why, or which bass I shouldn't get and why.

Also if you can find any other basses which are at that same price or lower and would be better then the ones listed, then you're welcome to list them too. (Price is NZ$699 so .. US$500 or less, not more. US$500 is my absolute max )

Cheers in advance.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
If you are getting a Squier, get something from the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series.

My first bass was a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I still play it to this day, though I have a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass nowadays.
First off, what do you have right now? Because a Standard Squier really isn't much of an upgrade from anything.

Second, could you give us an idea of what is available to you and for how much? You may have the equivalent of $500 USD, but over here in the States $500 is just under what you'd need for an MIM Fender, whereas in NZ your prices are quite a bit steeper correct?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Too true Tostitos.

Well .. At the moment I have , for the lack of better words, a sh*tty ESP starter pack bass. On the MIM Fender, yeah, prices are waaaay steeper. We're talking NZ$1200 for the MIM. A huge difference for me. And way out of my budget.

Most major brands are available, but in terms of models, I would say very limited. Only well known models, like Vintage Mod. etc. OR seemingly outdated models, seem available. Tell me what other models you had in mind for me, and I can go and check if any sites/stores have them in stock.

Well I don't know if they'd be out of your price range, but the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series are quite good, about as good as MIM's quality-wise. Ibanez might be worth checking out, they have models in pretty much every price bracket and are relatively easy to find used. Peavey makes some good stuff, but the middle-level basses like the Cirrus BXP's and Zodiacs will be out of your price range, limiting you to Millenniums, which are still good basses. Yamaha would be another good brand to look at, maybe an RBX374 if its within your price range.

Don't be afraid to look used, its the best way to get the most bang for your buck.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I HATE LP basses. I hate LP guitars too though so whatever. What styles do you play?
no sir away a papaya war is on
I play most styles .. except metal and that kinda stuff.

Problem about used is that I can only use sites in New Zealand as shipping and freight costs are horrendous - probably more then the second-hand guitar itself.

No-one sells Peavey basses in NZ.
I looked around for Ibanez and Yamaha stuff, they seem okay, most of that stock is entry level basses though.

The Vintage Mod. and Classic are NZ$100 more then the Standard so I'll have to think about it.

Hold on, I just found an Ibanez Jet King for NZ$750 .. Oh damn they look good.

There are actually 2 different ones for the same price. The JTKB300 and JTKB200
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_newzealand.html
(Not sure if link ^^ works, just go to ibanez site)
I love them..

And also I found a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe for NZ$700 and Schecter Omen for NZ$799.

Oh, I do like them Jet Kings.

I relly like the stilletto. a delux is what made up my mind to get my sixer from schecter.
The ESP is good, however I would get a higher end model then the 104.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I think now I'm torn between the Schecter Stiletto deluxe or the Ibanez Jet King ..

get the JTKB300, SSS basses are awesome.

Disclaimer: I have never played or heard this bass.
Quote by Guitar_Jester
If you are getting a Squier, get something from the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series.

This. It won't let you down and sounds absolutely phenomenal.
I know what you mean, but how about the Ibanez JetKingB300. How does that compare to the Squier VM. and/or CV. ?