I saw a few youtube vids of this amp playing metalcore. My problem is I can't get a good metal tone out of it. I'm not sure why other people can get awesome tones, but My amp sounds like crap. So I have a couple questions.
1. Do you guys have any good settings for this amp?
2. Would a boss metalcore pedal sound good with this amp?
3. Should I take the amp back and get something else? maybe a vypyr 60?

I got this amp used for $500, so I can take it back and get a vypyr or something if I can't get a good tone.
I really don't want to have to rely on pedals to get a good tone so Thats why Im asking if I should Keep the amp or take it back.
The VK requires alot of mods to get a great sound out of it. If I were you, I would take it back to the shop and get a Vypyr Tube 60 instead, it has way more usable tone out of the box.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The VK requires alot of mods to get a great sound out of it. If I were you, I would take it back to the shop and get a Vypyr Tube 60 instead, it has way more usable tone out of the box.

I wanted to get the vypyr, but I saw some youtube vids with a stock valveking 212 combo and no pedals getting awesome tones, But I think I will go take the valveking back and get the vypyr.
Well, OK, what settings are you using? The VK's best tones are found when it's loud.

Also keep in mind the people playing might have been using something called the 'dummy jack trick'. What this does is activate an input buffer in input 1, while you use input 2, which is the low gain input. Anyway, it serves to give you a more punchy sound than just playing in either input 1 or input 2, with a bit of added gain and clarity. All you do is plug your guitar into input 2 and a spare cable in input 1.

I like to keep my VK's settings with the bass at 6 or 7, mids at 3 or 4 and treble not past 5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
on my valveking i boost it with a BBE green screamer and have the gain at four (not o'clock), on the settings and have the treble around 3-4, the mids at 7-9, and the bass at 6. i also have the presence at zero, but you may want it a little bit brighter, so put it at two or three. the presence knob set too high on this amp will kill your tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Use the lead boost. It sounds really loose and flubby (lol) without it.

It can do metal, it just needs help getting there. JJ tubes are a good place to start, mine has them and I play metalcore on them. Speakers help a lot too, though mine still has stock speakers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by denied
Where do you live? They are all over ebay and craigslist. It's pretty much the go to amp for most heavier metal.

They go anywhere from 425-700.

I live in Philadelphia.
Quote by Raijouta
Well, OK, what settings are you using? The VK's best tones are found when it's loud.

Also keep in mind the people playing might have been using something called the 'dummy jack trick'. What this does is activate an input buffer in input 1, while you use input 2, which is the low gain input. Anyway, it serves to give you a more punchy sound than just playing in either input 1 or input 2, with a bit of added gain and clarity. All you do is plug your guitar into input 2 and a spare cable in input 1.

I like to keep my VK's settings with the bass at 6 or 7, mids at 3 or 4 and treble not past 5.

Yeah I noticed when I turned the volume up to 5 I got a better tone, but I can't have it up that loud all the time.
Here are my settings.
Bass 6
Mids 3
Treble 5
I wanted to try that dummy jack trick, but I think something is broken inside the jack.
I use a MXR Dime Bag Distortion pushed with a Ibanez TS9, and I get a pretty tight metal sound.