Is a 200w power amp with no master volume (i.e., always at loudest) too much for home use? The volume would come from a tube preamp. Thanks.
it will have pre amp and post amp controls which control your volume and gain

... wont it?
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 7, 2010,
"Hear the music comin' loud as you can stand, you will never be the same again!"
yeah that should sum it up. if you plug it through a pre amp you'd probably die and be dead. from death.
wut.
No controls on power amp. I use a Peavey Rockmaster as ha pre amp. This only has gain and post gain, the latter used as volume.

Quote by CreepingDeath13
it will have pre amp and post amp controls which control your volume and gain

... wont it?
well I'm assuming it has a REGULAR volume knob, correct? if so, it'll be ****ing loud, but just fine as long as you turn it down. if it has no volume whatsoever, then yes, you will go deaf long before the tubes even fully warm up
Which power amp are you looking at? All should have a volume and presence control on each side. I don't know of any Marshall has made that were mono and lacked a volume and presence control.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
How does it have no volume whatsoever?

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Even if the power amp has no volume control (unlikely), surely the preamp has a post level control?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've not bought it yet, here's the link http://brighton.gumtree.com/brighton/84/65174284.html

Any thoughts would be welcome. The seller says: "The power amp just gives you something to go through. As it is an older model like my new poweramp, it does not have a volume, so just imagine if you have a head and a cab you have all the pre-amp side, clean post and pre gain, distortion post and pre gain etc eq, then the power amp side which is the whole on and standby switch and the master volume. As you can imagine as there is no volume knob...... the thing is at full volume :P "
Wow, okay. Never seen something like that before. Well, does your preamp have a level control?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Nostoi
The model, btw: Marshall IBS 6020. Bass slave amp.

That explains the 200 watts
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
The preamp has pre-gain and post-gain. No master volume. The thing is, the post-gain can be used as volume, but obviously it has a big effect on the tone of the gain. This is what worries me about not having an overall master volume.

Quote by Kanthras
Wow, okay. Never seen something like that before. Well, does your preamp have a level control?
I'm new to power-amps, can you clarify please?

Quote by Yooxa
That explains the 200 watts
Quote by Nostoi
The preamp has pre-gain and post-gain. No master volume. The thing is, the post-gain can be used as volume, but obviously it has a big effect on the tone of the gain. This is what worries me about not having an overall master volume.
No, a post-gain is IS a volume control and in that position, before the poweramp it is a master volume. It simply shunts some signal to the ground when you turn it done, exactly like a volume control, it just has a different name. It will affect tone just like any other volume control (it attenuates more highs than bass when turned down IIRC), but not very much and can be well compensated with some EQing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Right, thanks. With that in mind, would the set-up with the 200w slave bass power amp be suitable for a home set-up?

Quote by Kanthras
No, a post-gain is IS a volume control and in that position, before the poweramp it is a master volume. It simply shunts some signal to the ground when you turn it done, exactly like a volume control, it just has a different name. It will affect tone just like any other volume control (it attenuates more highs than bass when turned down IIRC), but not very much and can be well compensated with some EQing.
Quote by Nostoi
Right, thanks. With that in mind, would the set-up with the 200w slave bass power amp be suitable for a home set-up?
I can think of more suitable setups (ones with less power output), but it could work. You'll have some extra heating in your room as well!

Looks like a solid sate power amp, though. As in, no tubes. It might not produce the sound you're expecting.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9