AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, i bought an ibanez RG 450dx (Korean) with stock, infinity passive pickups about 5 years ago and i've always found pinch harmonics effortless on it and they sustain for ages.
However, a year ago i bought an ESP SV with emg 81's and with exactly the same amp settings and approaching the technique in exactly the same way i am only able to produce a half-arsed harmonic that dies within a second.

There's nothing wrong with the ESP or the pickups, it sounds great for rhythm and lead playing. It's just that pinch harmonics don't work on it. I was wondering what the hell was going on as EMG 81's are supposed to be pinch harmonic central and it seems to me they're well... shit for it.

Any ideas?
I may be talking out of my ass here but maybe the "sweet spot" is in a different place?

when I go from playing a 24 3/4 neck to a 25 1/2 scale neck to a 27" I usually have to try different spots or get used to the guitar a bit to find that one really nice sweetspot. It's generally around the same area though, so that's probably not it.

hmm.
if its a different scale guitar the node for the harmonic is going ot be in a different place so look for a differentplace to pick on it
also could be your technique as ive never had problems doing pinch harmonics on any guitar once i "perfected" my technique i even get them on my acoustic
Quote by metalfanatic
I may be talking out of my ass here but maybe the "sweet spot" is in a different place?

I would also say this.
It can't be that, cause i can get all 3 sweet spots with a note but it just sounds shit.

It's probably just the universe screwing with me like that time i adjusted my intonation all the way forward, then all the way back and there was no difference, sent it into the shop and it came back perfect with a note saying they didn't do anything and the intonation was fine when they got it.
Quote by ef4
It can't be that, cause i can get all 3 sweet spots with a note but it just sounds shit.

It's probably just the universe screwing with me like that time i adjusted my intonation all the way forward, then all the way back and there was no difference, sent it into the shop and it came back perfect with a note saying they didn't do anything and the intonation was fine when they got it.

have youtried different ampsettings?
Yeah i have, in the past year i've gone back to a flat eq and no gain and entirely rebuilt my tone twice and nothing's changed.
Maybe the p'ups are a bit too far away from the strings and can't catch the pinch as well.

Maybe you aren't bending the string enough? (vibrato always helps a pinch ring out properly)
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by ef4
It's probably just the universe screwing with me...

I'd say it's more like the universe telling you to stop doing pinch harmonics.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.