I haven't been playing 7 strings for very long, but I was trying to learn "Into The Mouth Of Hell...." by Trivium and it feels physically impossible. Do you keep your first finger on 1st fret of B the whole time and use pinky and ring fingers for the other notes? My fingers just won't stretch that far. I can cover around 6-7 frets on my 6 string but the giant neck on the 7 feels way too big to play something like this.

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------5------------4--------------------5------------2-
A|----------3---------------3------------------3----------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------3-------
B|-1-111------11-----11----1----1---111---11----11-----1-----

So how does it work?
i dont play a 7 string but the way you explained sounds right
you shuold try some streching exersisses
Yep, I personally would just keep my index on the 1st fret. Or at least keep it in the general area. Use your ring and pinky fingers to hit the other notes, you can move your index finger when it's not needed, just try and keep it close to the 1st fret to keeps things moving smoothly.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Thanks for your reply Larrry. The problem I was having was that big string skip from B to D, and to play it at correct tempo just seemed very uneconomical without holding down that 1st fret on B, guess I'll bump the metronome down and try some more.

How on earth do guys play stuff like that whilst keeping their hand in one position? They must have fingers like rulers to stretch that far.
Quote by supersac
i dont play a 7 string but the way you explained sounds right
you shuold try some streching exersisses

Aye. It all sounds so easy in theory

I should do more stretching stuff, my woefully poor span is kicking my arse now.
Last edited by Calibos at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Calibos
Aye. It all sounds so easy in theory

I should do more stretching stuff, my woefully poor span is kicking my arse now.

its never easy to practice especially when you juust got a new toy to play with
but a good streching exersicsthat i like using is tapping like t12p3h7 or something like that that has a good distance for your fingers also helps with your tapping
you'll get used to it in time. just do some stretching and warmup-exercises.

what troubles me more with this riff is not the stretching, i got fairly long fingers, but the right hand speed. after the first chorus, my hand starts to get tired (i still manage to play it cleanly, somehow).
what i want to say, is: pay attention to your right hand technique. it's pretty hard to keep up and the other guitarist in my band cant really manage to play it yet. just needs some speed building etc. you get the point, man!
umm.... unless there is open b's somewhere else in the song... i would tune the b string up to c??? so you are just playing opens?
Quote by Davie.G_AOTA
umm.... unless there is open b's somewhere else in the song... i would tune the b string up to c??? so you are just playing opens?

Exactly how i play it xD

my hands are tiny but i can just about manage it sat down, but it's impossible for me to play it standing up without tuning the low B up.

Tune the b up, once you get the hang of the gallops/string skipping then try it with the stretch included.
Quote by Davie.G_AOTA

This....makes a LOT of sense....
Quote by Calibos

G|---------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------5------------4--------------------5------------2-
B|-1-111------11-----11----1----1---111---11----11-----1-----

So how does it work?

Just play the open G string instead of the 5th fret on the D. No need for stretches here! Also for the string skipping, hybrid picking might help.
I tried that, but I find it harder muting the open G than just releasing the 5 on D. Though if I change the B to a C then it would be even easier with the open G in there.

Originally Posted by Calibos

G|-------------------0--------------------------------0------------------
D|-------------------------------4--------------------------------2-
C|-0-000------00----00----0----0---000-----00----00------0-----

What is the best way to do the palm mute gallops? In TG magazine they say to use a "down down up down" rhythm as it sets you up to play the string skips, but I find it easier to alt pick everything as I find the rhythm easier to maintain (prime example is Battery by Metallica, find it easier to just alt pick the whole way through the gallops).
Last edited by Calibos at Sep 7, 2010,