Hey guys, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section..
But I'm wondering what the best or cheapest way to improve my tone is with the guitar and amp i have...
It's a 2009 Ibanez RG321, mahogany, with twin stock humbuckers, running directly into a Roland Cube15x practice amp. I'm buying a Line 6 Studio UX1 unit for recording.
I'm into metal, alternative, basically a wide variety of "hard rock" type music, everything from Alter Bridge to Stone Sour, Megadeth to Opeth.
Any tips?
well your probably going to get some get a new amp answers and i would agree
im not sure what pups came with the ibanes stock but i usually change pups on them to semour duncans or whatever i plan on using the guitar for
Your gear only accounts for half of your tone, the rest comes from the way YOU play, your picking technique, attack etc.
Buying fancy pickups and expensive gear won't necessarily make you sound better, not that I'm saying you're a bad player or anything, I don't know how good you are, just throwing my two cents in. =)
I guess gear goes here ...
Epiphone SG Special
Ashton GA100
George Dennis Volume/Tremelo Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Bad Monkey

Vintage EST96NA Bass
Ashland Electro Acoustic
You already have a setup where you can get a nice tone from! just remember, when wanting to dial in a tone, start at a flat EQ and work your way around, don´t totally cut out your mids, treble or bass! And don´t leave unnecessary FX on, for a pure sound, there´s no need for your cube´s delay/phaser/any other FX!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Without getting anything new, all the basic stuff; EQing your amp properly, setting up your guitar well, new strings, clean technique
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by boysontour2006
Your gear only accounts for half of your tone, the rest comes from the way YOU play, your picking technique, attack etc.
Buying fancy pickups and expensive gear won't necessarily make you sound better, not that I'm saying you're a bad player or anything, I don't know how good you are, just throwing my two cents in. =)

Gear makes up almost ALL of your tone. Your technique carries over to different rigs, but the tone is created by gear.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Gear makes up almost ALL of your tone. Your technique carries over to different rigs, but the tone is created by gear.

I disagree. I mean, gear plays a huge part for sure, a general rule is buy nice or buy twice. But I have a friend who played through my rig and got a completely different sound using the same settings. Its possibly a subconscious thing, like you adapt your fingering and touch to what sounds better to you.

The deal is, make sure your technique is clean. Practice is a good thing no matter what level you're at.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Quote by Fraydawg
I disagree. I mean, gear plays a huge part for sure, a general rule is buy nice or buy twice. But I have a friend who played through my rig and got a completely different sound using the same settings. Its possibly a subconscious thing, like you adapt your fingering and touch to what sounds better to you.

The deal is, make sure your technique is clean. Practice is a good thing no matter what level you're at.

I'm not saying that everyone sounds the same on the same rig, only that the rig itself creates the tone. Everyone's technique sounds different, even if they have the same tone.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
I'm not saying that everyone sounds the same on the same rig, only that the rig itself creates the tone. Everyone's technique sounds different, even if they have the same tone.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. That sound that is "technique sounding different?" That's TONE.

Derp derp derp
Quote by SLonergan

I agree with the dude ^. But nonetheless, mad respect for the DT avatar. Brilliant album
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
What type of tone do YOU like? Because the bands you name vary pretty widely on tone.

I'd suggest finding the 'sweet spot' tone that you like best from one of your favourite players, check online to see what rig they're using, get similar equipment, set it up the same way as them and then tweak it to get the sound you're looking for.
Quote by tepperboner
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. That sound that is "technique sounding different?" That's TONE.

Derp derp derp

No, you dont know what you're talking about. You could plug any famous guitarist into a shitty amp, and they would have shit tone. They would sound OK because they have good technique, and it would be identifiable as them playing.
Now you could also plug a complete beginner into a Mesa halfstack and they would have awesome tone, but their technique would make their playing sound bad.
Technique cant improve bad tone, but bad tone wont stop good technique giving a good overall sound.
Quote by littlephil
No, you dont know what you're talking about. You could plug any famous guitarist into a shitty amp, and they would have shit tone. They would sound OK because they have good technique, and it would be identifiable as them playing.
Now you could also plug a complete beginner into a Mesa halfstack and they would have awesome tone, but their technique would make their playing sound bad.
Technique cant improve bad tone, but bad tone wont stop good technique giving a good overall sound.

This, i agree in every form.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Sorry guys, I totally forgot about this thread..coming back a few months later lol
but thanks for the advice! Game plan for now is to get a Peavy Vypyr, but one of the tube ones - all the recording I'm doing now is though the Line 6 UX2, which serves its purpose, but...ecchh. That and some new pups. Anyone have experience with aftermarket pups in RG's? lol
llama, your RG is mahogany; a hardwood with a bit of a darker sound (subjective). Heres a great thread. If you go for boutique PuPs the company will usually answer your questions. But, more specificly; what sorta tones do you want? High-gain, clean, super hot? Shred? Rhythm? crunch? Tight bass? bright? scooped?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014301
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Heres my $ .02 worth. Your ability to play makes alot of difference in your tone but having nice gear helps. You've got a descent set up. Your guitar is of good quality and you have IMO one of the best small amps on the market. I would invest in a really nice set of pickups. Even if you go out and buy a new guitar you can put the stock pups back in and use the ones you bought for your new guitar. Otherwise I would invest in a higher quality amplifier. Something 30-50watts tube.
Quote by tepperboner

Derp derp derp

Yeah, that's how I see it. People always talk about the "tone in somebody's hands." I always see "technique" as simply the ability to handle fast runs cleanly. It's really ambiguous and nothing anybody should argue over. These are just terms, really. It's all the same thing. Depends, really, on tepperboner's definition of "tone."

I've found Cubes are very good for conveying (for lack of a better word) "nuances" in one's playing. Just focus on the way you hold the note, the way you hit the string. Your rig as it is shouldn't get in the way of that. Any "upgrades" you get at this point will probably just cover up your actual sound.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jan 3, 2011,