Here is an updated video of me playing some alternate picking stuff(and noodling). I wanna know what I need to fix in order to progress. I practice hours and hours daily on picking, but haven't been improving. My right middle, ring, and index fingers are having trouble with the strats volume knob. How does on fix that? I use a floating hand technqiue or rest my hand on the bridge with the fingers curled in. Just help me, tell me what to fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnZlAU1rWA
I watched a little bit.... it's very hard to know what to "fix" by that demo. I do see inconsistencies. Sometimes your pick hand rotates to "swing" the pick... other times apparently not. Sometimes you pick more from the elbow with a tight wrist, sometimes motion is all wrist. It seems to be random.

Honestly that fingerpick around your thumb makes it difficult to say anything helpful... since I don't use one. And I'm guessing most people here don't either.
What's the advantage over a regular flat pick?

Anyway, if you literally practice hours and hours daily just on your picking.... there's a good chance that you just hit a temporary wall. It happens. And/or maybe your fret hand is struggling to keep up, and you should focus on that for a while and come back to picking technique later. (That alone could be keeping you stuck)

As for the volume knob you got 2 choices. 1 - Pick further away from the bridge. 2 - Get the fingers that are hitting out of the way.
Quote by cringer
I watched a little bit.... it's very hard to know what to "fix" by that demo. I do see inconsistencies. Sometimes your pick hand rotates to "swing" the pick... other times apparently not. Sometimes you pick more from the elbow with a tight wrist, sometimes motion is all wrist. It seems to be random.

It's not random at all; he's using Pebber Brown's "Sarod" picking method for all his slower stuff but once TS reaches a certain speed he has to abandon the technique to keep the speed up. That is almost certainly what's wrong here - you look a tense when you hit that point and by the looks of it that's making your motions a bit bigger than they should be.

It's also worth noting that on the lower strings your rhythm doesn't seem to be entirely accurate to me, it's not all the time but you're very slightly off in parts. Taking another quick look it seems your rhythm is off when you completely float your wrist; you'll need to work on that.

On the plus side, the sweeping is pretty good and so is the hybrid/finger picking stuff.

There might be something up with your fretting hand as well but obviously can't see that so really wouldn't know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
seemed random to me but i take your word for it. I'm not familiar with sarod picking
Very nice.

Your finger independence seems pretty strong, you're fluid for the most part and your picking seems reasonably solid. However, like already mentioned, your timing is off in some places, and i'd look at slowing down a hair or two on the bpms because sometimes you're staccato-ing the notes on the higher strings.

Apart from that i thought it was good.
Quote by justreleased09
Here is an updated video of me playing some alternate picking stuff(and noodling). I wanna know what I need to fix in order to progress. I practice hours and hours daily on picking, but haven't been improving. My right middle, ring, and index fingers are having trouble with the strats volume knob. How does on fix that? I use a floating hand technqiue or rest my hand on the bridge with the fingers curled in. Just help me, tell me what to fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnZlAU1rWA

I dunno. But it seems to me you should be giving advice here on what to do instead of asking for it.

Your picking technique seems pretty solid to me. Better than mine at least. It's pretty obvious you're getting results from the hours you're putting in.
I noticed what Zahpod mentioned - at a certain you kind of lose control and your hand starts spazzing at the strings a little. Up until that point your technique is fine though.

On an side note, do you ever actally play the guitar? I say that because I looked through a few of your vids and they all seem to be lttle more than picking exercises.

This one in particular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRY-Ff3AGM&feature=relate

I'm assuming it's supposed to be an improv but it simply sounds like all you ended up doing is running your exercises over it with the odd bent note in between. It didn't sound like you were really paying much attention to the backing track. Don't get me wrong, I can hear what you're trying to achieve stylistically, it's just that your theory knowledge and listening skills don't seem to be anywhere near good enough of make use of your technical chops. My advice to you would be shift your focus away from technique, because that's not going to suddenly disaapear , and instead start learning how to actually use those skills to make music
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I noticed what Zahpod mentioned - at a certain you kind of lose control and your hand starts spazzing at the strings a little. Up until that point your technique is fine though.

On an side note, do you ever actally play the guitar? I say that because I looked through a few of your vids and they all seem to be lttle more than picking exercises.

This one in particular

I'm assuming it's supposed to be an improv but it simply sounds like all you ended up doing is running your exercises over it with the odd bent note in between. It didn't sound like you were really paying much attention to the backing track. Don't get me wrong, I can hear what you're trying to achieve stylistically, it's just that your theory knowledge and listening skills don't seem to be anywhere near good enough of make use of your technical chops. My advice to you would be shift your focus away from technique, because that's not going to suddenly disaapear , and instead start learning how to actually use those skills to make music[/QUOT

haha, yes I do play the guitar. Everything I have posted has a specific purpose. HAve you seen the jazz vid? Most of them were for the purpose of showing my technique to people over the web, soas to get critiqued. I spend alot of time playing in jazz ensembles in school and do some blues stuff on the side.
^ There were some intersting chops in that vid. Seemed to lose time in between, and the phrasing didnt really 'fit', but technically, that was pretty cool. The speedy parts were cleanly played, but sounded so disjoint from the whole idea that they didnt make sense. Technique is right out there though!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by justreleased09

haha, yes I do play the guitar. Everything I have posted has a specific purpose. HAve you seen the jazz vid? Most of them were for the purpose of showing my technique to people over the web, soas to get critiqued. I spend alot of time playing in jazz ensembles in school and do some blues stuff on the side.

I didn't have time to check out all the vids no, although admittedly I got a bit bored with all the picking vids :p

will check it out later
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My right middle, ring, and index fingers are having trouble with the strats volume knob. How does on fix that? I use a floating hand technqiue or rest my hand on the bridge with the fingers curled in. Just help me, tell me what to fix.

well i don't know were you would need improvement i would be satisfied with what you have accomplished, unless you just want to do a little bragging nothing wrong with that .

but you may move the strat volume to another location wont look great but might give you what you want.

does your other guitar's have the same problem like in your other vids seems you have a good collection ?

my question is what pickups you use in your strat and effects in that vid ?

that Marshall amp if you still got it looks like it might be a tube amp and there about to go out when you tapped on it started giving feedback its called microphonic tubes
unless you just had your guitar to loud
Last edited by boudo at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull

This one in particular

I'm assuming it's supposed to be an improv but it simply sounds like all you ended up doing is running your exercises over it with the odd bent note in between. It didn't sound like you were really paying much attention to the backing track. Don't get me wrong, I can hear what you're trying to achieve stylistically, it's just that your theory knowledge and listening skills don't seem to be anywhere near good enough of make use of your technical chops. My advice to you would be shift your focus away from technique, because that's not going to suddenly disaapear , and instead start learning how to actually use those skills to make music[/QUOT

On an unrelated note,

I'm primarily a jazz player these days. I'm assuming you took up the thumb pick because you're into country, but using that is gonna help you tons in jazz. Having the use of all of your fingers for chord and chord melody work and being able to switch to the thumb pick automatically for flat picking is something I haven't seen much of. I keep the pick in my mouth to switch off and that is limiting as you can imagine.

I tried myself and couldn't get anywhere with the thumb pick.