A four string... modified to hold the lowest four strings from a standard 5 string kit B-E-A-D... works brilliantly, except two things... 1/ not quite enough tension in the neck, and 2/ pickups sound a little flat... Opinions? Solutions?
Quote by Davie.G_AOTA
A four string... modified to hold the lowest four strings from a standard 5 string kit B-E-A-D... works brilliantly, except two things... 1/ not quite enough tension in the neck, and 2/ pickups sound a little flat... Opinions? Solutions?

By tension do you mean your strings are floppy or your neck is bowing forward?

What pickups do you have in your bass currently?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Same thing as you would for a guitar. You need to take it to a guitar shop and get the truss rod tightened (I believe it's called 'intonated') down to baritone tuning and you are going to need some really thick strings. Just ask the guitar guy at your local guitar center and he should be able to help you out.

Other solution. Buy a 5 string so you have two dedicated basses so you don't have to change tunings and stuff that often.
@ Slanderous...1/ string is a bit floppy... nothing too major... 2/ the standard pickups from cort action bass... got together with another bassist and we fixed the flat sounds anyway...

@Weaponxclaws... 1/ tightened truss rod with aforementioned other bassist... and 2/short on cashflow, so ive customised my second 4 string... also have a fretless with standard strings/tuning...

@Cpt Insano... D .070 A .085 E .105 B .135