i get confused with this because i don't know which scale i am suppost to be playing in e.g. if theres a key sig. of F# that could be G major or E minor or D penatonic etc, or is the key sig. always major or minor?

thanks
better shred than dead
Quote by shredda2084
i get confused with this because i don't know which scale i am suppost to be playing in e.g. if theres a key sig. of F# that could be G major or E minor or D penatonic etc, or is the key sig. always major or minor?

thanks

g major and e minor have the same notes in there scales, so if you are playing in g major you are also playing in a minor.
Quote by timfoley
g major and e minor have the same notes in there scales, so if you are playing in g major you are also playing in a minor.

that raises the question how the heck do i know if im playing minor or major lol
better shred than dead
What timfoley said is pretty much correct, but oversimplifying things slightly. G major and E minor may have the same notes, but the difference is that the root note is different. You can't claim they are the same thing because they aren't. The way the music functions in relation to the tonic is different. Also, you are likely to find a raised 7th in minor scales, especially in a classical context.

Regardless, the notes are all the same. It'll start to make more sense as you progress with theory.
In tonal(tons of) music, key signatures are always major or minor. E minor and G major share a key signature, so it's up to you to figure out which key it's in. It can get pretty subjective, but it's all about finding the tonic.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by grampastumpy
In tonal(tons of) music, key signatures are always major or minor. E minor and G major share a key signature, so it's up to you to figure out which key it's in. It can get pretty subjective, but it's all about finding the tonic.

I don't see how it can be subjective as to whether a piece is major or minor. What note does it resolve on?
Quote by Regression
I don't see how it can be subjective as to whether a piece is major or minor. What note does it resolve on?
IMO even a common pop progression, Am F C G isn't that easy to place since the resolution to the Am and the C are more or less even. Might depend on other parts of the song or something.
Quote by grampastumpy
Might depend on other parts of the song or something.
Yep. It all depends on context. Like you said, Am F C G can go either way, but if you look at the melody, bass, and surrounding harmony, it can be a lot less ambiguous.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yep. It all depends on context. Like you said, Am F C G can go either way, but if you look at the melody, bass, and surrounding harmony, it can be a lot less ambiguous.

surely though that G would resolve to the C? Being the V7 of I

Aminor has a tonic function, so it could be the first chord of a song in C - correct me if im wrong
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by Tominator_1991
surely though that G would resolve to the C? Being the V7 of I

Aminor has a tonic function, so it could be the first chord of a song in C - correct me if im wrong
G isn't the V7 of C. G7 is.

Plus, G works fine as a resolution to A minor. In fact, I like it better. Perfect authentic cadences seem too cliche.

Moreover, the chord structure isn't the be-all-end-all of tonality. The rest of the parts play a large role as well.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by food1010
G isn't the V7 of C. G7 is.

Plus, G works fine as a resolution to A minor. In fact, I like it better. Perfect authentic cadences seem too cliche.

Moreover, the chord structure isn't the be-all-end-all of tonality. The rest of the parts play a large role as well.
Yeah, maybe subjective wasn't what I was going for so much as ambiguous or just not immediately obvious. Plenty of aspects of a piece of music are important in determining the key.