How loud is 80 Db?

To what volume level on the Peavey Vypyr 30w do 80 Db correspond to?
So loud it appears in multiple threads!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
you should google this to get a better idea. nobody will beable to tell you how it corresponds with your amp though.
as a serious answer - it's 80dB of loud. the dB scale is a measure of sound intensity - you question is like asking "how long is 10 minutes?"
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess at 6-7 on my 50w amp. But as someone said it doesn't work just like that. I'm not an expert on it so I won't try to explain and get it all wrong haha. But I do know 80dB from 1m is enough to damage your hearing.
putting ten times more power into the speaker = 3dB increase
moving 40% further away from the speaker = 3dB less
a 10dB difference is perceived as "twice as loud"

most guitar speakers are rated at around between 97 and 100dB at 1 watt at 1 meter

the volume controls on guitar amps suck (eg: if you have two different 50watt amps one could be very loud at 3/10 while one could be quiet.... they don't really pay attention to making the sweep perfect on all of them...... and a bunch of other psychoacoustic factors on whats "louder", the entire tube .vs. solid state, etc...)

they only definitive answer: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sound+level+meter&x=0&y=0
Last edited by seljer at Sep 7, 2010,