hey, i have a pretty sweet metal tone for quiet volumes but when i turn the amp louder, it gets all trebly and loses its balls and soloing tones lol, i try turning the treble down but it doesnt really do much, can anyone with this amp suggest some killer settings that work for metal on louder volumes. thankss
Almost all amps do this to some extent. That is what an EQ is for. I know I like my Orange Rockerverb 100.

EDIT: I also have gotten a really good sound of of the Mesa Boogie MarkIV, and this is a loud amp.
Last edited by Tig-O-bitties at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by unbornsea1
hey, i have a pretty sweet metal tone for quiet volumes but when i turn the amp louder, it gets all trebly and loses its balls and soloing tones lol, i try turning the treble down but it doesnt really do much, can anyone with this amp suggest some killer settings that work for metal on louder volumes. thankss

Personally I found my Flextone III is rubbish for metal at louder volumes. That's why I'm selling it. No amount of EQ would sort it out, even if I added an EQ into the loop.

Probably not what you want to hear but sell it and get an amp that's more suitable for metal. That's what I'm doing.
Unlike the Flextone 2 the Flextone 3 is not as suited to metal (mainly has to do with the Flex3 using XT/X3 modelling as opposed to 2.0 modelling and not coming with an OD effect/feature). You could try throwing an OD pedal in front to tighten up the distortion and that might make the overall sound more to your liking?

What amp model are you using? In my opinion the only good metal channel on the Flex3 is the Insane model, which has to have highs at like 4-5 and the presence around 2-3 :-P (depending on your guitar/pickups). I found these settings to work well when I played a Flex3 on the Insane channel (Gain 5, Bass 5.5, Mid 4.8, High 4.5, Pres 2.5-3). I also find that on the insane channel the gain needs to be up to 6 or 7 in order for the soloing to thicken up, otherwise its a little thin. Because of this I recommend a dedicated solo setting where you have the gain up around 7.