Page 1 of 2
Hi. I am new to the forum, but my boyfriend gets on all the time so I thought maybe this was a good forum to ask (hopefully I have this thread under the right topic)

My son got a white Ibanez for his 3rd birthday signed by Terry from Evanescence/Cold in black permanent marker. We’ve played it a couple days and the signature is already rubbing off. I want to preserve the signature so that he can still play it. It’s his first guitar and I’d hate to just have it handing on the wall. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I’ve done a lot of research but everything I’ve read has a con. I know the obvious such as clear coat tape “type” will eventually start to peel off, clear coat put on too thick will dissolve the signature. Certain bases for clear coat can dissolve it too. I want some suggestions from people who have done it first hand or know for sure/seen it done before ect. Not “let me take a guess, sounds like it should work”.

Thanks in advance!
- Jeimy

The best thing to do would be not play it...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
honestly i'd just say don't play it.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Is "Terry from Evanescence"'s signature really worth more than a lifetimes worth of enjoyment out of a guitar?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
Is "Terry from Evanescence"'s signature really worth more than a lifetimes worth of enjoyment out of a guitar?

If they love Evanescence then yes.
I've got the same problem. My acoustic is signed by Tommy Emmanuel and the end of the signature rubbing off despite me not actually touching that area of the guitar. Damn high gloss finishes...
and OHMYGOD THAT KID IS SO CUTE

Okay, I realize that was pretty ghey...but I stand by my statement.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Bearded_Seth
If they love Evanescence then yes.

Eh, even though I love John Frusciante I would still rather use the guitar (assuming it was decent). Then again I've never placed much importance on signatures.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Thats so awesome

Honestly, I think the best place to ask is here.

Thats the 'mature' section of UG. (The Pit seems to be made up of 14 year olds )

In that section, they regularly discuss painting etc. I think maybe a clear coat over the current finish would help preserve it. A lacquer, maybe?

Good luck
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by Thrill-house
Why does a 3 year old have a Guitar?..

what's wrong with a 3 year old having a guitar?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
The guitar was a raffle prize that his Great Aunt won. My son loves music and she thought I'd be a great gift. We aren't such great fans of Evanescence that I wouldn't want him to play it, but I think having that guitar, being his first guitar, with a signature like that would be very meaningful to him once he realizes what it is. I will probably end up getting his a smaller one he can play now, and keep this one on the wall until he is old enough to actually play it, but I didn't want "time" to wear it off either. I thought about taking it to a professional and having them do it too.
Quote by MH400
Thats so awesome

Honestly, I think the best place to ask is here.

Thats the 'mature' section of UG. (The Pit seems to be made up of 14 year olds )

In that section, they regularly discuss painting etc. I think maybe a clear coat over the current finish would help preserve it. A lacquer, maybe?

Good luck

Don't talk about us like we're not here

You are right though.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I will also ask in the other part of the forum as suggested too. Thanks everyone!
Quote by crzysnowborder
what's wrong with a 3 year old having a guitar?

He's too small to play it?...
Quote by Thrill-house
He's too small to play it?...

Right now... but not in 5+ years
seriously guys whether you like them or not, that guitar and signature is going to be worth a lot of money one day. It's better to spend another $300 on another guitar and protect your investment that will probably be worth 10 times that much to the right collector one day. It's not like there's some 1 guitar per person rule that I haven't heard about?
Quote by JeimyGirl
I will also ask in the other part of the forum as suggested too. Thanks everyone!

I think whoever moved this for you moved it to the wrong forum. You want GBnC.

Where is IPPON?

A clear coat is probably your best bet but I don't remember the exact kind.

PS: cute kid!
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to weigh my options. I think I'm going to go with hanging it on the wall and it not be played. Turn it into part of his music theme room I plan on doing, then maybe years down the road they will have something specially for that without much side affects. I haven't read too much about it wearing from just sitting, so I might take it to a professional to get it looked at, or maybe do more research about putting a very faint clear coat on it. I just want it to be a prized possession of his. Kinda neat to be able to say "Yea, I've had a signed Ibanez guitar since I was 3 yrs old"

(Fixed some typos)
Last edited by JeimyGirl at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by JeimyGirl
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to weigh my options. I think I'm going to go with hanging it on the wall and it not be played. Turn it into part of his music theme room I plan on doing, them many year down the road they will have something specially for that without much side affects. I haven't read too much about it wearing from just sitting, so I might take it to a professional to get it looked at, or maybe do more research about putting a very faint clear coat on it. I just want it to be a prized possession of his. Kinda neat to be able to say "Yea, I've had a signed Ibanez guitar since I was 3 yrs old"

Good choice, and in the mean time you can pick him up a 2/3 size guitar for under $100 which he'll find just as fun
Quote by JeimyGirl
"Yea, I've had a signed Ibanez guitar since I was 3 yrs old"

That is only fun if he can actually play the guitar. I think an Acrylic based clear coat like AxSilentxLine suggested is the way to go. Also, I asked a mod to move this to GBnC where it really belongs

I think it got moved here by mistake but at least you can show off your cute kid to more and more people
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 7, 2010,
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I'd say acrylic clear but there's only one way to be sure. Get a similar marker and test it on something else first. If it dissolves the marker you've got the wrong lacquer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JeimyGirl
The guitar was a raffle prize that his Great Aunt won. My son loves music and she thought I'd be a great gift. We aren't such great fans of Evanescence that I wouldn't want him to play it, but I think having that guitar, being his first guitar, with a signature like that would be very meaningful to him once he realizes what it is.

If he’s still playing the guitar when he’s that old he’ll have rubbed the finish off all the way down to the wood. And he’ll just put a bumper sticker over it in his teenage years anyway.

Anyway, that’s a really pretty guitar. Personally I would get out the Goo Gone and get that sig off before I even got around to changing the strings.
I'll shop around for the clear coat as suggested

and that's an awesome little geetar! Maybe I'll make something like that an X-Mas gift.

He may have just turned 3, but he will rock out to any instrument given to him, specially an electric guitar. He Turns the knobs on them and on the amp as if he knew what he was doing (he will get very serious haha).
Last edited by JeimyGirl at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Suttam
Use a transparent nail polish and paint it over the signature

You can go ahead and ignore this

The alcohol in nail polish will most certainly damage the marker ink
Quote by Thrill-house
So buy him one in 5 years...

The kid looks pretty happy in that pic, I'm fairly certain he digs the idea of playing it now
5 years is an awful long time, especially for a kid. Plus an early start is always good!

Anyway, I really wish I could help but I have no idea =/
There are a fair few people around the boards who have had their guitar signed, if you look around you may be able to find them but I can't help.

Though you probably should have got a part that wouldn't be touched signed!
Hope it gets sorted out.
I'll move this to GB&C. You're likely to get better help, there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by AxSilentxLine
seriously guys whether you like them or not, that guitar and signature is going to be worth a lot of money one day. It's better to spend another $300 on another guitar and protect your investment that will probably be worth 10 times that much to the right collector one day. It's not like there's some 1 guitar per person rule that I haven't heard about?

What makes you think it's going to be worth so much money "some day"? I don't think Terry Balsamo is a particularly famous household name when it comes to guitar playing, even if he's in a well known band. I mean yeah had it been signed by Amy Lee or Ben Moody for example then I would get your point but I think as far as most collectors are concerned, Terry is just "the guy who replaced Ben Moody". Not that anyone particularly knew who he was either but he did play on the debut which is of course by far the most famous of their releases and therefore the most valuable to collectors is my point. Unless they release an even more succesful album which let's face it is looking increasingly unlikely. That's just my opinion though.

What you need to do is get a professional paint sprayer to spray a new clear coat on it that will preserve the signiature. And get another guitar. Seriously, if you want to keep it as a collectors item (if you indeed think it is a collectors item) then there is no point getting it banged up. And trust me, it will. You should see my guitar after 4 years. Imagine what it will be like after 10!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 7, 2010,
Wouldn't like a cell phone screen protector work?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
Wouldn't like a cell phone screen protector work?

Not really, unless you wanted to cover the whole guitar...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If you wanted to, you could get one of those clear, stick on pickguards that they make for Accoustic guitars.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Well It was a raffle drawing prize, so it wasn't our choice where it got signed.

The pick guard isn't big enough for the signature, I looked at them at Guitar Center yesterday.

I definitely read on the big oh no with the clear nail polish.

In this case it's not so much about the value of the signature as a collectors, but the wow factor of having a guitar signed by someone in a band that was famous sometime that he'd had since he was 3. If he decides to use it later on or not would be up to him, but I'd like to preserve it and have him decide for himself.

I'm going to price clear coating the whole thing by a professional and weigh it against the clear coat product suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Page 1 of 2