Hey, So I've gotten myself a 6505 212. I love the tone of this monster, and I knew it would be noisy! But the noise on this amp was nuts! I got feedback like crazy! So I went out and got an ISP Decimator. It cut out the noise great. But not the noise I was getting angry about! The problem persists! After some research I now know that alot of 6505 owners have this problem. Its alot like a feedback noise, but louder and ringy. It increases with volume, which is even more annoying! I love the tone of this thing, but damn! My Valveking was a quality amp, but I'm pretty dissapointed with this 6505. I can't afford to take the amp to a tech. Do you have anything to fix this?

This is what I've tried so far:
Different guitars.
The Decimator, along with different power supplies and different and new batteries.
Different settings on the Decimator.
Plugging it in elsewhere, even a different house.
Lower gain settings.
Rhythm Channel.

I also noticed when moving the amp it has a pretty loud tingy noise, my guess is the guts of a tube moving around or something.

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks

Levi.
The first time I tried a 6505 the noise was so bad it put me off them altogether, but I have since come to the conclusion that it had bad tubes because my current 6505+ is very quiet even without a gate.

Of the ones i've played in stores since buying mine a good amount are hissy and harsh. The tubes they ship with aren't great, and i'm assuming the chinese made combo is no better
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The first time I tried a 6505 the noise was so bad it put me off them altogether, but I have since come to the conclusion that it probably had bad tubes because my current 6505+ is very quiet even without a gate.

LOL, when I googled this problem (and came up with nothing) you said this on every other thread. I love my 6505, I just need this noise to stop! Thats why I'm here, not to ask wheteher you like it or not now rather than a year ago.
Quote by Levi79
LOL, when I googled this problem (and came up with nothing) you said this on every other thread. I love my 6505, I just need this noise to stop! Thats why I'm here, not to ask wheteher you like it or not now rather than a year ago.

Umm you're welcome? Instead of being a dick you could take the advice that I have given you from my experience with that amp. You have tried everything else already, but if you know better by all means ignore me.

It sounds me like bad tubes, not because it's a fun story and I enjoy telling it, because I know from experience. Sheesh.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 7, 2010,
how close to the amp are you when you play?
do you face that amp when you play?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Sounds like dodgey preamp tubes to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AxSxL already said it. Stop being a prick and listen to him.

Preamp tubes. Now ASL, Cathbard, and me have said it. . Seriously. Bad tubes.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Other than bad tubes also consider the guitar/pickups that you have. My Gibson LP Menace has SUPER HOT/Noisy pickups and in my opinion is not a good match for my 5150 212 (maybe down the road i'll switch'em out but my Gibson is in Drop C and I only use it for home use-- so no rush).

More importantly, the 'rattling' that you hear when you move the amp is most likely the built-in spring reverb. I had the same concern when I purchased my 5150 212 used from a music store over a year ago and the owner told me it was the reverb spring and that this is normal in any amp with spring reverb.
Quote by Levi79

I wanted to believe it wasn't true cause the guy said the tubes were fine and I trusted him when I bought it when they were. I could have gone and got a 5150 combo that needed new tubes for 450, but i thought why not get a 6505 with new tubes for 700?

The good news is tubes are easily replaced and reasonably cheap. a 5150 combo for $450 is a pretty good deal over there afaik but the 6505 is just as good.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The good news is tubes are easily replaced and reasonably cheap. a 5150 combo for $450 is a pretty good deal over there afaik but the 6505 is just as good.

Another +1 for you sir.

And there is a good chance you don't need to replace all of the preamp tubes Levi. It may just be one. No reason to get all bunched up. You can try rotating some of the preamp tubes around and keep track of what you are doing until you find the culprit. Or, lay down $25 and get 2 new preamp tubes for now
You should always have at least one good 12AX7 on hand at all times just for this situation. If you think a preamp valve has gone you just try it in each position until you find the culprit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Levi79
Alright
I guess that Ibanez is going to be even further away.

And last time I bought tubes it was 50 bucks for 2

Where I live in Canada (a mid-sized city between Toronto and Ottawa) a lot of places charge a LOT for tubes. Haven't seen prices for tubes in the bigger cities but I assume they'd probably be less than what I'm paying (the last store I bought my tubes at for my 5150 I paid $20 per preamp tube and like 80ish for 2 poweramp tubes-- what a rip off!). The store I purchased my tubes from usually has ok prices for things but unfortunately they overcharge for tubes. There is one music store I recently discovered offers reasonable prices for equipment so I am guessing they might not be as expensive-- I'll have to buy them there next time.

Hopefully being in Edmonton you wont have to pay disgusting prices for tubes but you might have to shop around, don't make my mistake-- I bought mine because I bought my 5150 combo used and the owner said the preamp tubes are old and the poweramps have had some time on them and I rushed into buying a full set of tubes because I was going into the studio the next day to record and I didn't want any amp problems.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 7, 2010,
Not for a 12AX7. You only need one test valve. I suggest you get a balanced one, then it will work as a good test valve for all positions including the phase inverter. Try it in all positions, chances are very high that only one is faulty. You can upgrade the rest later as you can afford it. Those amps come with Chinese valves out of the box. Good Chinese ones are ok but they often aren't so good. Their quality comtrol is improving but they still aint no JJ.
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=2&sub_category_id=12
You want the balanced one - $12.75 plus shipping.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Levi79
They are expensive everywhere around here.
But thank god the guy who sold it to me is a good guy. He`s giving me all new preamp tubes!

wow that's sweet.