I've met some other people like this.
Basically I can't finish a song.
Like, I don't mean I actually can't write a full one but I mean I can't ever finish making them. Recording, mixing, etc.

I'll start something and then I'll always get bored of it and stop. Then I start something else and the pattern keeps repeating. Some songs will just be parts of it that I was programming and the song isn't finished while others will be full songs that I was recording and never finished.

I've got at least 20 songs like this. I'd love to just start finishing them but I always want to start something else.

Anyone else with this problem? What do you do?
Just Finish them. One you start dont stop till its done. Listen to it for a couple days, then fix any thing you want to change.

I make songs with a piano player, he makes the chord progressions for all the parts we want, Intro, Verse, Chorus, Pre, Break,Bridge,Chorus Half and Ending. Then the song is done(It bassically writes it self), all i have to do is record the guitar rhythm and bass that follows the progressions. We then work on vocal melodys and lead lines.

Its pretty easy once you get a partner and you both are on the same page musically and music theory wise.

Bassically just get it "done" you can always fix it later. Imagine haveing 20 finished songs instead of 20 half finished projects.
I try that but I lose motivation and wind up starting something else because I get inspired and don't want to drop the idea.
You need to take time away from mixing/mastering to rest your ears anyway. Got any friends with the same problem? Try saddling them with the file (If they have the same DAW) for awhile, to get a fresh pair of ears on the project.

Take a break, listen to some commercial music, watch TV, give it a day. Then get back to it. You can't possibly finish it in one sitting, thats what pro mixers and masterers are for.
I do all that but I mean after weeks I never really go back to it. I just lose all motivation to continue working on the songs. :\
If you get bored writing then maybe the song itself is getting boring. Soooo go in a new direction in the song, work on solos and stuff. Maybe more variety will keep interested in writing it.
Now I'm walking the empty solemn streets
Casting down the shadows of my defeat
You look at me as if I'm throwing my life away
Well I'll tell you now, I'm not a fucking hyperbole.

Honey
Quote by Fenhemn
If you get bored writing then maybe the song itself is getting boring. Soooo go in a new direction in the song, work on solos and stuff. Maybe more variety will keep interested in writing it.

Yeah. Don't just take the song in a whole new direction, try doing stuff like writing and mixing pop stuff, just to bring a new vision to it. I mean, if you find yourself falling dead every time you try to mix and master, then maybe... Its done?
I've done enough. Never has anything to do with the song no matter how exciting it is. I just can't keep interest in working on something for too long.
you have two options. the first is to just force yourself to finish. youve got that song 3/4 done, and you tell yourself it has to be done by the end of the day/weekend/week/whatever. give yourself a day and say it is going on UG then, no matter what condition it is in. i find this works wonders if you arent motivated, because you only want to post something worthwhile.

the other thing is to come back to it after a month or six. youve got fresh ears, fresh ideas, and you realize how cool this song was and want to finish it. ive done this a lot while writeing, not as much mixing. i actually came back to a song 2 years after i started it, then 2 years after that for an intial recording. then put out a first finished version last year, about 6 years after the original was started and used a couple of the tracks from 2 years before. extreme case, but just coming back to something after long enough can motivate you to finish it.

or the third option is just to never finish songs.
You have a personal problem then, if your not taking anyone's advice and keep complaining without seriously trying then the whole problem is you, you ether just don't like editing music or you have an attention span of a squirrel lol Man up and force yourself to finish song the whole day and say "I gotta do this!" nobody likes working but we do it to get paid, if your not gonna finish the song then well your not gonna go anywhere in the music industry (I'm not trying to be mean its just the plain facts)
@David, I never said the problem wasn't me. I just get bored of songs. When I first start making something it's fun but I get tired of it quick and I'm not a fan of mixing. I never planned on going anywhere in the music industry either. I just want to do it on the side. I was just wondering if anyone else was similar and what they would do to make themselves finish projects.

@jof, thanks (:
Quote by DavidTerrawr
You have a personal problem then, if your not taking anyone's advice and keep complaining without seriously trying then the whole problem is you, you ether just don't like editing music or you have an attention span of a squirrel lol Man up and force yourself to finish song the whole day and say "I gotta do this!" nobody likes working but we do it to get paid, if your not gonna finish the song then well your not gonna go anywhere in the music industry (I'm not trying to be mean its just the plain facts)

Hmmmmm....... A Sept. 10'er..... I hope you're not like the July 10'ers were...
Quote by L2112Lif
Hmmmmm....... A Sept. 10'er..... I hope you're not like the July 10'ers were...

>.> whats that supposed to mean octo.09'er (WTF?)
Quote by L2112Lif
There was a troll invasion in July by new accounts...

oh lolz well I'm not a troll, I just wanted to get to his head since every reply he got he kept saying the same thing. I can be tough sometimes but I don't put people down(which trolls do)
Quote by DavidTerrawr
oh lolz well I'm not a troll, I just wanted to get to his head since every reply he got he kept saying the same thing. I can be tough sometimes but I don't put people down(which trolls do)

I don't has a penis and have no problem with your response. I would say the same thing.
But I was simply replying to them with what is fact. I never asked for advice from other people. I clearly asked at the bottom of the first post for people with a similar situation to tell me what they do and that's not what any of the answers are.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I don't has a penis and have no problem with your response. I would say the same thing.
But I was simply replying to them with what is fact. I never asked for advice from other people. I clearly asked at the bottom of the first post for people with a similar situation to tell me what they do and that's not what any of the answers are.

So your a girl?? but yah I don't know what that other guys problems is, can't tell a troll from a normal person. I get what you mean, but if they had the same problem that wouldn't accomplish anything, now would it
i had the same problem..
dik there was this small bit each time that bothered me.. bad vocals due tothe bad mic.. or bad drums... whatever..

so the other day i was thinking and was like Hey why wont i ****in write something that i can record with my current stuff
so i went on and wrote my album haha
check it on my myspace page.. you can listen to the songs for free btw... so this aint no ad or troll

the link is https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359305

and i'll be glad to crit your music back!!!!
Quote by DavidTerrawr
So your a girl?? but yah I don't know what that other guys problems is, can't tell a troll from a normal person. I get what you mean, but if they had the same problem that wouldn't accomplish anything, now would it

Yessir, and like. I just want to know what others with the problem do I mean. What their method is in finishing music if they don't ever have the motivation to do so.

Quote by vigenharutyunya
i had the same problem..
dik there was this small bit each time that bothered me.. bad vocals due tothe bad mic.. or bad drums... whatever..

so the other day i was thinking and was like Hey why wont i ****in write something that i can record with my current stuff
so i went on and wrote my album haha
check it on my myspace page.. you can listen to the songs for free btw... so this aint no ad or troll

the link is https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359305

and i'll be glad to crit your music back!!!!

Technically everything before "so i went on and wrote my album" was all that was needed and the rest does just sound like advertising. xD
Use the original recordings section.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 9, 2010,
yeah. I send some friends things here and there. I just never really want to finish. Like, in terms of mixing.. sometimes I'll have so many tracks I just don't know where to start and as for recording I just don't feel like going and doing it.
Maybe I'm just too lazy. xD
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 9, 2010,
You attach tracks that can be edited together, like multiple tracks of an acoustic, or tracks that are already basically mixed in? I think that some DAW's call them groups, others submixes... But I think that submixes are different in that they take the output of the component tracks and you can further alter them, while grouped tracks just share faders...
Yeah. I get annoyed though when the volume levels are all so different and things like that so I never feel like bothering.
lol put like a picture of Edward or Jason from twilight next to the monitor when messing with the recordings to keep you interested xD lol jk :p
Quote by DavidTerrawr
lol put like a picture of Edward or Jason from twilight next to the monitor when messing with the recordings to keep you interested xD lol jk :p

OH YEAH. THANKS, MY FRIEND LOLLED AT THAT FOR LIKE 3 MINUTES.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Yeah. I get annoyed though when the volume levels are all so different and things like that so I never feel like bothering.

sounds like part of what you need is to be more efficient with your mixing. if you have a ton of tracks that are are widely different levels, are there any that are supposed to be the same level? like guitar 1 and guitar 2 are your double track, or one comes right after the other or whatever. then send them to the same track, and set the levels so that when that one recieve track is soloed, you have an even volume between the parts. then take all your send tracks and throw them at the end/bottom of your workspace.

when youve got some nice grouping and have the groupings physically together on screen, mixing becomes much more, well not simple, but straight forward. you might go from having to mix 10 things, to having to mix 4 or 6. much, much more managable. also works with things that are supposed to be relatively the same volume (ie backing vox always need to be a third the volume of the lead vox).

once your streamline what you are working with a couple times, it just becomes automatic and you do it as you work. even if you are doing the things i mentioned, find more ways to streamline as you work so you have less to do at the end.

then of course, give yourself the deadline i mentioned in my first post. ive gotten really, really bad about doing this recently, but it used to be that i would do it all the time. give myself 2 weeks to get a song onto UG. at that time, you have to put it up. now, i didnt always put things up, but i would finish them, and that is the real goal.
@above
Thanks a ton.

But furthermore, what I mean is like.
I'll have one track that's just like say. a verse of vocals.. another that's like a chorus and so on throughout the song and each track is an overall different volume level from how the input was recorded due to different times of recording and such so if I stick them on the same track, one part will still be another volume level so I have to first make them match up to each other.
It isn't anything hard to do, but when I have alot of tracks like this it's hard to get myself in the mood to want to bother. XP

But yeah, thanks much. ;D Maybe I should do the deadlines thing.
well instead of moving them all to one track, send them to one track. i dont know what DAW you are using, but any decent one will allow you do to that. so your verse 1 vocal and chorus vocal will be different level, but you send them to a vocal master instead of the actual master.

then solo the vocal master and adjust the levels of the individual feeds so they sound the same level in the vocal master. then when mixing, you only have to worry about the vocal master. if you do it as you go it seems much less of a hasle.
yeah, that's kind of what I'd want to do in the end, but it's just still a pain as mixing is in general. to me anyway. some people like it, but I don't really like anything past the basics in it xD.

but yeah. like I was saying, I guess I'll just have to force it more and set a deadline or something.
Quote by TechnicolorType

Technically everything before "so i went on and wrote my album" was all that was needed and the rest does just sound like advertising. xD
Use the original recordings section.

well may be but im not advertising.. im giving you the link to my thread in UG where i offer C4C...
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well may be but im not advertising.. im giving you the link to my thread in UG where i offer C4C...

Go to the original recordings section and post a topic then. Many people will do c4c there for your songs.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
lol i know! ive posted there.. but still i dont get much

still *goes to the topic*

Alot of people don't unless you critique theirs first. I find that works best for getting quick responses. Just listen to people's stuff and tell them what you think and leave a link to yours. xD