I'm wanting to figure out what would be the best bet on a distortion pedal for Metal to layer with my TS9. I've got a Marshall TSL60 head and a 2x12 loaded with a v30 and WGS Reaper 50 along with the TS9 in front of it (I've got a lot more pedals, but I don't use them for Metal).

If I would get nothing but crap layering with my TS9 then please say so, because I've never tried to layer it.

I like the tone I'm getting right now, but I'm wanting to experiment and see if I can get an even better tone.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Can you not get a good metal tone from the DSL's dirty channel with the TS9 boosting it?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

how do you have the TS9 set?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can get a pretty good Metal tone with the TSL's lead channel and the TS9 set to: Drive: anywhere from 9 o'clock to 2 o'clock, Tone: 1 o'clock, and Level: 3 o'clock.

I'm not necessarily saying I can't acheive a good Metal tone with the setup I have now, I'm more asking if there was is experimentation I could do with certain distortion pedals to either layer over my TS9 or do the job by itself in order to acheive an even better Metal tone.

I've got the same amp and get a killer metllica tone on the crunch channel.......if ur boosting with a TS9 its level 10 gain 0 tone to taste.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I can get a pretty good Metal tone with the TSL's lead channel and the TS9 set to: Drive: anywhere from 9 o'clock to 2 o'clock, Tone: 1 o'clock, and Level: 3 o'clock.

I'm not necessarily saying I can't acheive a good Metal tone with the setup I have now, I'm more asking if there was is experimentation I could do with certain distortion pedals to either layer over my TS9 or do the job by itself in order to acheive an even better Metal tone.

What are your EQ settings on the amp, and what exactly do you think could sound "better" about your tone?

Unless you just can't get along with the Marshall tone, you really should be able to get the tones you're looking for without another pedal.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'd spend more time EQ'ing your amp. You'll be wasting a perfectly fine amp by throwing a generic metal pedal in front of it.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I'd spend more time EQ'ing your amp. You'll be wasting a perfectly fine amp by throwing a generic metal pedal in front of it.

+1........don't scoop on the nids on this amp......and an eq pedal is a good investment.
Gain: 7
Bass: 7 or 8
Mids: 6
Treble: 5 or 6
Presence: 8
Deep Switch: In
Shift Switch: Out

I'm looking for more of a tone like that of As I Lay Dying's new album, "The Powerless Rise"

I have a Behringer EQ700 I got just recently, but haven't experimented with it a whole lot when playing Metal with my amp. What would you suggest EQ-wise?

Slight changes to your EQ's to try:

Gain: 12 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock
Mids: 2-3 o'clock
Treble: 3-4 o'clock
Presence: 11 o'clock

Settings for your TS9:

Drive: 7-9 o'clock
Level: 3-5 o'clock
Tone: 1-3 o'clock

You're probably thinking, "why the hell should I cut back on the gain?" Too much gain and then a boost on top of that is going to sound too fuzzy and inarticulate. With the TS9 set to taste with the basic settings above, you should have more than enough gain. I'm not sure what volume level you're playing at, but once you crank the amp a bit the TS9 is going to have more of an effect on your tone than you'd think.

You really shouldn't need to add an EQ pedal. You've got more than enough options that your amp has to offer and then the added bite, boost, and tightness from the TS9.
How loud are you playing?.....volume is tone.
Quote by mmjohn
How loud are you playing?.....volume is tone.

+1

I cna't seem to get a good tone out of anything if I don't play loud enough