Hey guys I'm new to the modes and I was wondering if someone could give me the correct notes for each mode. I'm only asking this because UG has it wrong in their lessons section and I don't know whats right. Also, how would I know to incorporate a mode into a song?? Somebody help thanks.
Quote by Rockwontdie
Hey guys I'm new to the modes and I was wondering if someone could give me the correct notes for each mode. I'm only asking this because UG has it wrong in their lessons section and I don't know whats right. Also, how would I know to incorporate a mode into a song?? Somebody help thanks.

Well the way you incorporate modes into a song is that modes are all used together: ionian is natural major, and aeolian is natural minor. so if you want to play in E minor
(E FSharp G A B C D E) then you use the E aeolian mode and can play across the neck by using the corresponding mode, e.g. A Phrygian is A B C D E Fsharp E F G A so you would use that, because it's the same notes with a different starting point.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by Rockwontdie

If you don't know what's right, how do you know UG is wrong?

It's pointless trying to remember all the notes for every mode. Just learn the notes of the fretboard and the notes of the major scale and then you can relate the modes back to the major scale. So for example, let's say you're playing D Dorian. Since Dorian is the second mode, go back a whole step from D and you're in C Ionian. So D Dorian has the same notes as C major, but the tonal center is D.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by WarriorArtist94
Well the way you incorporate modes into a song is that modes are all used together: ionian is natural major, and aeolian is natural minor. so if you want to play in E minor
(E FSharp G A B C D E) then you use the E aeolian mode and can play across the neck by using the corresponding mode, e.g. A Phrygian is A B C D E Fsharp E F G A so you would use that, because it's the same notes with a different starting point.

modes =/= shapes on the fretboard
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Rockwontdie

a mode has unique scale degrees that define it.

Read this basic intro first http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_musical_modes - and then ask your questions.
I know the Ionian and the Dorian but what about the others, Like Phrygian, and Lydian?
Quote by Rockwontdie
I know the Ionian and the Dorian but what about the others, Like Phrygian, and Lydian?

By the sounds of it you need to understand a whole lot more of the more basic side of theory before you can actually put modes to any real use.

What exactly do you want to achieve with modes?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I want to play better solos. You see, I've been soloing my whole life just using basic pentatonic scales, blues scales, and Regular Major and Minor scales, I want to expand by playing something a little more sofisticated instead of basic stuff.
Quote by Rockwontdie
I want to play better solos. You see, I've been soloing my whole life just using basic pentatonic scales, blues scales, and Regular Major and Minor scales, I want to expand by playing something a little more sofisticated instead of basic stuff.

I'd bet that your heros, I assume the people who play "sophisticated" solos (that sounds awfully pretentious), could make the minor pentatonic scale sound like gods orchestra.

It's about knowing how to use what's given to you.
Quote by Rockwontdie

I really think you'd be better off by taking a solo that you admire, something you feel is "more sofisticated"... And learn that solo thoroughly. Analyze every phrase and try to see what works (why you like it). Then move on to another one.

I think you'd gain a whole lot more that way, than just trying to 'learn modes' in a vaccuum, if you know what i mean. just my HO.
But I would also want to know exactly how to play the mode instead of learning it and not knowing what mode it is.
Quote by Rockwontdie
But I would also want to know exactly how to play the mode instead of learning it and not knowing what mode it is.

To be honest unless you're playing music that is specifically modal then you really don't need them at all; what you need is to know the major scale really REALLY well and the chords you're playing over, that way you can relate the major scale to the chords and change the intervals you're using to give you the sound you want.

When I say "know the major scale" I mean you will need to know it, how it works in terms of intervals and how those intervals sound relative to other things. What you need to understand isn't modes but sounds.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.