Well mainly self taught, I've been learning scales (major/minor) pentatonic and your basic triad chords and in the processes of memorizing the fret board.The only song I know is hotel yorba-white stripes, which is just chords G,C,D through the entire song .What I really want to get into in improvisation, soloing and learn songs on the level jimi hendrix though I know I have a really long way too go, I just don't know direction to go in ? I'm not looking for answers too all my questions That my job, I just don't know what too learn?
I'd say you're trying to do too much all at once. I've played for 5 years and I haven't memorized all the notes on the fret board. I can't tell you what the note is on the 18th fret of the G string is straight off the bat. (It's a C# :P Took me 10 seconds, still not instant)

How long have you been playing?

Just start off by learning songs of bands at your level that you like. For me improvisation just sort of sprung up on me after I played RHCP songs non-stop. That's how I learned to improvise on various scales, mostly major or minor pentatonic.

Play what you like, search up excercises on UG that you may find interesting.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
learn some other songs by whites stripes with solos in them, that's what got me starting with improvisation. They're just impossible to memorise by heart, so I just improvise stuff that I fits (using scales and the likes). Black Math and Ball and Biscuit are pretty helpful with this. Otherwise, just keep learning songs you love, and try to keep learning harder and harder songs so your skills will improve steadily.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Learn pop-punk songs which have few chords but some syncopated rhythms. Such as When I Come Around by Green Day. Got some nice little palm mutes in there that not many people pick up on.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by guitarnoob_100
I'd say you're trying to do too much all at once. I've played for 5 years and I haven't memorized all the notes on the fret board. I can't tell you what the note is on the 18th fret of the G string is straight off the bat. (It's a C# :P Took me 10 seconds, still not instant)

How long have you been playing?

Just start off by learning songs of bands at your level that you like. For me improvisation just sort of sprung up on me after I played RHCP songs non-stop. That's how I learned to improvise on various scales, mostly major or minor pentatonic.

Play what you like, search up excercises on UG that you may find interesting.

I've been playing for 3 months and I know the notes on the 1-5 frets still instant either lol thanks so much
Last edited by NEXTS at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by NEXTS
Well mainly self taught, I've been learning scales (major/minor) pentatonic and your basic triad chords and in the processes of memorizing the fret board.The only song I know is hotel yorba-white stripes, which is just chords G,C,D through the entire song .What I really want to get into in improvisation, soloing and learn songs on the level jimi hendrix though I know I have a really long way too go, I just don't know direction to go in ? I'm not looking for answers too all my questions That my job, I just don't know what too learn?

The best advice I can give you is to listen to a lot of music and a lot of solos and then take the pentatonic scale and -- knowing the key of the song -- do the following:

1. Copy licks that stand out to you.

and

2. Improvise your own solos over the songs.

At first this will sound crap, but with time you will learn many licks and get the hang of applying these to your own improvisation.
Quote by willemhdb
The best advice I can give you is to listen to a lot of music and a lot of solos and then take the pentatonic scale and -- knowing the key of the song -- do the following:

1. Copy licks that stand out to you.

and

2. Improvise your own solos over the songs.

At first this will sound crap, but with time you will learn many licks and get the hang of applying these to your own improvisation.

Naw any information I'll take seriously
In regards to that guy that said you're doing too much, COMPLETELY IGNORE HIM.

It's never too early to learn the notes of the fretboard, in fact, it should be the first thing any guitarist does because it better equips you to play. A keyboard player HAS to memorise the notes, because it's not laid out in a way where you can play patterns like you do on the guitar. So learn them.

Practice arpeggios, scales, playing in key, simple improvising, bends, chords - the basic foundations of playing well.

Oh, and play slow =D
Quote by NEXTS
The only song I know is hotel yorba-white stripes

I've been playing for 6 years and that is still the only song I know how to play all way through