I've been told by my teacher to research an event involving someone called Cunningham and the board of education (America) and its in 1909 (I think).

The trouble is I cannot find a single shred of research about this subject. Been looking constantly but can't find anything.

Does anyone know anything about this event?
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
You made a yahoo answers on this as well, it's the first answer on google.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

Lol fail
Quote by Todd Hart

Yeah that was me. I figured I could at least save some other poor sod the hassle I'm going through if they need to research it too.

Quote by _bacon_

What topic are you studying?
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Quote by Alive@myfuneral
What topic are you studying?

Come on, it's clearly French.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Come on, it's clearly French.

Well i gathered that the subject was history, he's been pretty vague in his description of what type of history he's studying
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Quote by RU Experienced?
You sure you're not supposed to research "Brown vs. The Board of Education"?

That's a much more popular choice.
Brown v Edu didn't happen in 1909. So, unless TS totally botched the year, that wouldn't be it. Have you tried the local library, TS? Some of those librarians are quite able to point you towards finding it. They may even be able to find info for you.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Brown v Edu didn't happen in 1909. So, unless TS totally botched the year, that wouldn't be it.

It wouldn't surprise me, he seems a few watts shy of a light bulb.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It wouldn't surprise me, he seems a few watts shy of a light bulb.

**** off.

I found what I was looking for, turns out the teacher told me the wrong year, its 1899.

Quote by _bacon_

What the hell were you looking for? Even with the correct year I can't find shite.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
What the hell were you looking for? Even with the correct year I can't find shite.

Well I was told to research Cunningham vs Board of Education. Couldn't find anything. So I went to my teacher, he told me he gave me the wrong year but the subject was hardly ever printed anywhere. So he gave me a textbook and it was mentioned in 1 sodding line in the whole book.

It basically established the principal of separate but equal schooling and things like that.

Quote by _bacon_

Well, shit, TS. Not sure how we'd have found it if a damn textbook only had one fucking line about it. I mean, the Pit doesn't enjoy research, especially research on something that barely exists.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, shit, TS. Not sure how we'd have found it if a damn textbook only had one fucking line about it. I mean, the Pit doesn't enjoy research, especially research on something that barely exists.

How was I supposed to know if there was only one FUCKING line in a whole textbook?!

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by SlackerBabbath
Is this Louisiana Attorney General 'M.J. Cunningham' you are talking about, and is it a race related case?

Race related, yes. Not sure of the guy's exact name at all but I found what I needed in any case.

Quote by _bacon_

Learn to do your research.

Try "Cunningham versus board of education"

...tried it. Too broad.

Okay, limit it: "Cunningham versus board of education 1909"

Add and subtract search terms from your query until you get what you are looking for.

Look up "Operators and search engines" to learn how to use "+" and "-", "AND" and "OR" and other operations to make your search specific...

How to use operators in Google

Learning to research won't kill ya. If you want to learn ask a librarian!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by WARLOCK123
Race related, yes. Not sure of the guy's exact name at all but I found what I needed in any case.

So what was it all about?

All I can find is a case called Plessy v. Ferguson, 1896, in which he was the Chief Defense Lawyer acting for Ferguson.
Plessy, who was considered to be black even though his ancestry was only one-eighth black, had refused to move from a 'whites-only' railroad car, and was promptly arrested.
Ferguson presided over Plessy's trial and Plessy was found guilty. Plessy took Ferguson to court claiming that Louisiana had violated Plessy's Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection under the law but on May 18, 1896, the Court issued its decision. It upheld the Louisiana law and Plessy lost.

The only link to the board of education I can find is that this decision effectively sanctioned discriminatory state legislation and the case was not overruled until the 1950s and 1960s, beginning with Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.
how is one line your teacher had to point out to to you, in a book he gave you, considered research?

sounds like your teacher's a dick, seeing how he knew full well the obscurity of the subject.
Quote by MakinLattes
how is one line your teacher had to point out to to you, in a book he gave you, considered research?

sounds like your teacher's a dick, seeing how he knew full well the obscurity of the subject.

My thoughts exactly, everyone else got better events to research, seems I drew the short straw.

So what was it all about?

From the one line I read it was key in establishing the theory of "Separate but Equal treatment". Basically meaning coloured people could get things like education but it was separate from the white population.

Quote by _bacon_