Hope you guys can help me out here..

Ok so I'm going away to uni and unfortunatly I won't be able to take my 6505+ 112 . So I was considering some unit for me to plug my guitar straight into and play (like a line 6 pod). I'd bring this device home with me during the holiday's to do some better recordings using my 6505.

I also would like something which I can use to record with. I would record while away using my guitar straight into audio interface and then to laptop but I would also like to record my 6505 using it's msdi. To record from the msdi I would want the signal to go thorough an xlr to the mic input of the audio interface to laptop right? And I guess I'd want the signal to be unprocessed as the signal from the msdi should be after the pre and power amp stage and have a cab/mic simulation, right?

Basicly what I think I want is something like a line 6 pod x3 which has;

- Instrument input - for practicing and recording while away at uni using built-in effects

- xlr input - for recording my 6505 through the msdi and possibly by mic in future

I'm sorry I have so many questions but if you guys could answer a handful of them; that would be great.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
I use a Lexicon Lambda and I have pretty good results. Check out "clips" in my sig. If you needed more inputs and outputs there's always the Omega version.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Instead of getting an X3 you can get a POD Studio GX (or UX1 if you're willing to go a lil higher) which has access to Line 6's higher level processing. If you get the GX you wont get as many amp/effects models but they can be purchased from Line 6. For example you could purchase the "metal shop" which gives you a bunch of extra amp models (you start with quite a few already just fyi) which would include a Peavey 5150 II model (same thing as the 6505+ just newer name).
Check out offerings from M-Audio as well. I've had the Fast Track Pro for years now, and it travels with me. Its help up very well and still works like a champ. No Issues.

Also, try posting in the Recordings forum. Which is technically where this type of question should go.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Check out offerings from M-Audio as well. I've had the Fast Track Pro for years now, and it travels with me. Its help up very well and still works like a champ. No Issues.

I have been looking at the m-audio fast track for recording but I need something that I can plug my headphones into and practice with some modeling effects. Will the fast track do this?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
If you want something cheap to plug into, hardware-wise, get a Line 6 POD GX or something, modelling software is easy to get and POD Farm is pretty decent.

At uni, I'm guessing you just want something to play guitar into and record just guitar, no vocals or full drum kits.
Quote by mikey_360
I have been looking at the m-audio fast track for recording but I need something that I can plug my headphones into and practice with some modeling effects. Will the fast track do this?

Yes, I use it to do the same thing. From my experience, it works very well with both Amplitube and Guitar Rig. I use Cakewalk Music Creator to record at home. I've used it at other places with both Sonar and Reaper as well.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Using an UGM96,it's a €70 interface,guitar/mic input,2outpts.

Only downside is that when you for example open up your guitar rig 4 and guitar pro5 ,GP5 will give a midi error and wont let you hear the tracks.
^There probably is a solution for this tho.

And download ASIO4ALL as the drivers.
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
Wait for the new POD HD line to come out in the next couple weeks if you can. They’ve got a whole range of new and updated floor units with new amp models. This way you get better sounds, you can use it like the pedals you’re used to, and you don’t have a big POD X3 taking up space on your desk.