Page 1 of 4
So, I love the brutal-ness ( lol ) of a nicely EQ'd 5150.....I'm in the market for a new half stack and I would prefer to buy something new not used. I know they are BASICALLY the same amp but I'm wondering if the tone of the 5150 that almost every death metal band uses can be coaxed out of a 6505? Any experiences?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
They're the exact same amp. Seriously. Down to component values.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
same amp, different name due to copyright reasons
if you like the 5150, you'll like the 6505 and you'll be able to get the same tones
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The difference is in the mojo, obviously.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by justinb904
same amp, different name due to copyright reasons
if you like the 5150, you'll like the 6505 and you'll be able to get the same tones

+1
Quote by oneblackened
They're the exact same amp. Seriously. Down to component values.

This. Seriously, they are the same, anyone who says one is better than the other is essentially comparing the amp to itself, and is therefore a fool.
I've just heard people saying the raw tone of the original 5150's cant be matched. And the build quality is way better. No truth to this?
Quote by mishax92
This. Seriously, they are the same, anyone who says one is better than the other is essentially comparing the amp to itself, and is therefore a fool.
Pretty much. There is gonna be variation due to tolerances and stuff, but it can go either way.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I think TS may be generalizing 6505, when he may mean 6505+, in which case a 5150 would be more brutal than a 6505+.

Though that is the same exact thing as a 5150 II.

In any case, 5150 = 6505, and 5150 II = 6505+.

EDIT:
Quote by Ultragoose
Not sure about the 6505, but the 6505+ is a worthy upgrade from the 5150. Especially for heavy metal.

Not necessarily. The +'s have better cleans, but if you're just going for straight balls, then the 5150 would be better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by DroptuneD
I've just heard people saying the raw tone of the original 5150's cant be matched. And the build quality is way better. No truth to this?

It's the same old 'they don't build things like they used to' mentality. Speaking in terms of circuits and component values only...the 6505 is the same as the 5150...and the 6505+ is the same as the 5150 II.

The 6505/+ are the current versions that are available today...without the EVH affiliation. The 5150/II's have been discontinued.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 8, 2010,
what's the difference between the 5150 and the 5150 ll and the 6505 and the 6505+?
Quote by DroptuneD
what's the difference between the 5150 and the 5150 ll and the 6505 and the 6505+?

The 5152 and 6505+ have separate channel EQs, and an additional tone stack.
And a tone stack is? Isn't there an extra pre-amp tube or something?
Quote by DroptuneD
And a tone stack is? Isn't there an extra pre-amp tube or something?

Yes. But that doesn't mean more gain in the sense of the word that most people think. The 5150 / 6505 is more raw IMO...but the 5152 / 6505+ have a better clean sound.

EDIT:
a simple google search will answer a lot of these questions for you. Just type in 5150 5150 II differences.

Here's a good list of differences:
http://www.fjamods.com/5150VS5150II.html
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 7, 2010,
5150 block letter does sound more aggressive. I've got producers all over that will agree with me and fight this all day.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
5150 block letter does sound more aggressive. I've got producers all over that will agree with me and fight this all day.

There are plenty of people who disagree with you too. I've never A/B'd the two amps at the same time so I can't vote one way or the other. They are all the same component values and same circuit (just like the 5150/6505 and 5152/6505+ are). The only differences between block and script is what manufacturer made the components that were used (including what tubes came from the factory). But if you've got a 5150 of any kind with stock tubes....you might think about changing them soon
Quote by eyebanez333
There are plenty of people who disagree with you too. I've never A/B'd the two amps at the same time so I can't vote one way or the other. They are all the same component values and same circuit (just like the 5150/6505 and 5152/6505+ are). The only differences between block and script is what manufacturer made the components that were used (including what tubes came from the factory). But if you've got a 5150 of any kind with stock tubes....you might think about changing them soon
Dunno how old the originals are, but a cap job could be in order as well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Ultragoose
Not sure about the 6505, but the 6505+ is a worthy upgrade from the 5150. Especially for heavy metal.

Not really.

While it might have better cleans, the lead channel of the original rapes the + version.

I've had both the block letter and the script at the same time and both of them sounded almost exactly the same (obviously, you have to take into account that both weren't running the same exact tubes). There is no difference between the block letter and the script, besides the tubes that came stock in them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Yup yup. I disagree though, I like the 6505+ better than the 6505. All opinion though. That's why I'm getting one.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by DroptuneD
So, I love the brutal-ness ( lol ) of a nicely EQ'd 5150.....I'm in the market for a new half stack and I would prefer to buy something new not used. I know they are BASICALLY the same amp but I'm wondering if the tone of the 5150 that almost every death metal band uses can be coaxed out of a 6505? Any experiences?

You've been around a while so I have to ask why new?

You will be limited to the 6505/6505+

To MatrixClaws point about tubes used back then will be different than what is put in today - I agree. Plus, there is a chance that an older 5150 has more 'mojo'.

I would expand your amp quest a bit is what I'm getting at I guess.
I agree with the Mojo part. When an amp is used often and treated correctly the parts get worn in kinda like a tube or speaker and due time sound better than something brand new like the 6505/+s. How much better is really up to your ears I suppose .
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
What do people mean by cleans on the 6505? I don't see a clean channel. Just turn down the gain low?
^right.

there is no clean channel. Just Rhythm and Lead. But if you turn the gain down, and turn the guitar volume down and pick just right - you can get clean tones. The 6505+112 in particular has nice cleans imo even though it doesn't have a clean channel.
Quote by kylendm
^ Yup yup. I disagree though, I like the 6505+ better than the 6505. All opinion though. That's why I'm getting one.

Yeah, actually, I was the same way.

My first tube amp was a 5150 combo, but after playing the 6505+ head, I had to get rid of that thing, cause it sounded so much more epic. After I had the 6505+ (which don't get me wrong, is an awesome amp, and I still loved it), I played a 5150 again next to the combo and was surprised by how different they sounded, the head versions were definitely the clear winners. After I traded my 6505+ off, I had both a 5150 and 5150 II at the same time and decided that I much preferred the raw tone of the original, the 5150 II was just tame in comparison, much more of a lead amp though, but for tight, chunky rhythms, the original 5150 dominates.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's already been addressed but seriously man they're the same amp. It's like saying a Yellow Ferrari 360 is better than a Red one. They are the same thing, the ONLY difference is cosmetic (appearance).

If anyone says they can hear a difference between a 5150 and USA made 6505 I would tell them that boy needs therapy, it's purely psychosomatic, that boy needs therapy, what does that mean, you're a nut, you're crazy in the coconut.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If anyone says they can hear a difference between a 5150 and USA made 6505 I would tell them that boy needs therapy, it's purely psychosomatic, that boy needs therapy, what does that mean, you're a nut, you're crazy in the coconut.
No, it's entirely possible that there's a difference. Different amps of the same make/model can sound different.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
No, it's entirely possible that there's a difference. Different amps of the same make/model can sound different.

Yes I know the EVH III and Framus Cobra are examples of this
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You've been around a while so I have to ask why new?

You will be limited to the 6505/6505+

To MatrixClaws point about tubes used back then will be different than what is put in today - I agree. Plus, there is a chance that an older 5150 has more 'mojo'.

I would expand your amp quest a bit is what I'm getting at I guess.

Well usually I go with used gear and my last two purchases kind of blew up in my face (quite literally). I bought my 5150 combo used and now it's acting up. My mom has agreed to help fund my new amp but ONLY if it is brand spankin' new, otherwise I ALWAYS go used. Another question...kinda off topic but w.e. What's people's views on a 6505 VS. a Dual Rec for high-gain metal rhythm tones?
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, actually, I was the same way.

My first tube amp was a 5150 combo, but after playing the 6505+ head, I had to get rid of that thing, cause it sounded so much more epic. After I had the 6505+ (which don't get me wrong, is an awesome amp, and I still loved it), I played a 5150 again next to the combo and was surprised by how different they sounded, the head versions were definitely the clear winners. After I traded my 6505+ off, I had both a 5150 and 5150 II at the same time and decided that I much preferred the raw tone of the original, the 5150 II was just tame in comparison, much more of a lead amp though, but for tight, chunky rhythms, the original 5150 dominates.

Yeah man the head over rules the combo. There are a bunch of differences.

The 5150 combo has the following differences:

The 5150 combo is a little like the 5150, a little like the 5150II, and it has a few features of it's own thrown in there

Lead channel more like the 5150II lead channel than the 5150 head

Smaller output transformer saturates easier - gets muddy

2x12 instead of a 4x12

Biased warmer (different bias circuit)

Lead channel has a little less gain

60 watts instead of 120

Combo has reverb

Voiced darker
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Kanthras
The difference is in the mojo, obviously.

definitely. I hear bugera specifically reverse-engineered a 6505, and not a 5150, to avoid some of the peavey mojo (such as there is, which is not much).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by denied
They are the same amp.
No.

Come back and talk to me when you've tracked an album with both.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Come back and talk to me when you've tracked an album with both.
Their circuitry and components (tubes aside) are the same. Ever read about psychoacoustics?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Page 1 of 4