Hello!

Sorry to ask your help on a matter like this, but I have been given the assignment of:
Write an essay on a historical debate of your choosing, using your own sourced facts and arguments to support and construct a debate. The debate must span a period of one hundred years.

I would be doing this personal study for a year, so it needs to be something that would keep me interested! So far, I haven't really been able to think of anything that is really juicy and haven't been able to find a historical debate.

Hopefully you'll know of some decent debates I could score high marks on!
Cheers!
write on how you were debating on what to pick and that the historey is happening as we speak
Hello Will You Be My Freind?
Quote by guitar-guy69
i knocked a girl up once but thank the lord it died inside her

Quote by guitar-guy69
Guitar-guy69 your the best

Quote by guitar-guy69
my penis floats when its in the water so it always looks hard

Hello my name is guy i like my women naked and aroused lol
If you're American, you could do something on Federalism/nationalism versus states' rights. There's a whole shitload of stuff to think about from that.
Slavery strikes me as the easiest one. Argue for the reinstatement of it, just to keep things spicy.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Sorry, I wasn't too precise. The debate has to consider a period of a hundred years (like somebody said, slavery) however I think our teacher isn't allowing slavery for some reason.

And I'm in the UK.
Try the free trade debate, you could get some decent stuff from that (Corn Laws, Adam Smith) or the suffrage debate of the 19th century (Reform Bills from 1832 to the 1920s, IIRC).

I'd recommend the suffrage.
Quote by MakinLattes
the hundred years war.

Beat me to it
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by MakinLattes
the hundred years war.

it was actually 116 years.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by blankoff
it was actually 116 years.

Operation Speedy Resolution, right?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Well the Teutonic order was screwing with the pagan balts for over a hundred years if I recall, or atleast close to that. And they were using the "Christianize" pretext to rob lands, since the Grand Dukes of Lithuania had written letters to the pope saying that they want to convert into Christianity and would accept it, however the order only killed peeps and robbed lands there, they didn't care about christianizing it. Well that's how I recall it is, I'm not a great historian. That might spark some debate but I dunno.
Some great ideas guys! It's hard to pick a single one!

The subject I was going to look into was the formation of modern super-powers, however I couldn't really find a historical debate to do with that, hence why I made this thread!
The last 1/9th of Methusalah's life.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Oh, oh, oh! The decline of the Roman Empire after Marcus Aurelius died. Obviously 'x' years one side and 'y' years the other to make the comparison.
the history of chuck noris vs bruce lee...the battle has been going on for thousands of years
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
Quote by idkputanamehere
the history of chuck noris vs bruce lee...the battle has been going on for thousands of years

Or Pirates vs Ninjas (vs Vikings now). The classic debate.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by MakinLattes
no one calls it the "116 years' war".

smartass.

I didn't say that anyone did, i was just stating a fact.

smartass.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by daytripper75
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

I know the actual scramble didn't last 100 years, but you can cover the ensuing colonialism that lasted well into the 20th century.

I think he would have a problem stretching that to 100 years, since British imperialism basically died out post WWII. I mean, they still had colonies, but they were no longer actively seeking more territory, and (in some cases) were even passing over control to local governments.

EDIT: You could look at the period from like 1820ish until the Treaty of Versaille, which is when Britain basically ruled most of the world unopposed.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Das_Skittles

EDIT: You could look at the period from like 1820ish until the Treaty of Versaille, which is when Britain basically ruled most of the world unopposed.

That's a good idea TS.

Maybe you can do something maybe on French Monarchy during The Renaissance-ish time period, and how the French Revolution abolished it maybe?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
'French assistance was necessary for the North American colonies to achieve independence.' Do you agree? Discuss.

That'll do you well.

EDIT: Misread. Um, 'what was the key cause for the quick collapse of the British empire?' might do. Not sure.
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 7, 2010,
Alright, so here's the latest.

I think I've decided on my TOPIC, which would be something to do with why the USA/USSR became superpowers after World War II, however I'm not exactly sure where the DEBATE is in this topic? Any suggestions are very welcome!

And thanks for your help so far, I've shown some of my friends this thread and they've started researching various strands that you've suggested!
How far was the English Civil war responsible in determining British dominance of the world until 1900? Or late 19th Century perhaps.

I could have worded it better, but it's a topic that has interested me greatly, the monarchy deposed, reinstated, a constitution drawn, great shift in ideals far before the rest of Europe, who were still under Absolute monarchies, aside from The Dutch, as far as I know.

FREDIT:

^ Ah, bollocks, you've gone for 20th Century history. I'm truly overfed on history of that era now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Sep 8, 2010,